Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Building a team around AD

ESPN: Building a team around AD

Thought everyone might like to read this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ight-or-flight

Blog Entries
    Heh. I was just about to post the same. Love Arnovitz as a writer, and his analysis of our situation is dead on.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    Heh. I was just about to post the same. Love Arnovitz as a writer, and his analysis of our situation is dead on.
    It seems to be a good, fair analysis. There were some comments from Monty/Dell that I'd never heard before. There has been plenty of speculation on this board that the team intended to eventually move AD to the 5, but this article shoots down that notion. Sounds like they fully intend on getting a big-bodied center to allow AD to stay at the 4.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    It seems to be a good, fair analysis. There were some comments from Monty/Dell that I'd never heard before. There has been plenty of speculation on this board that the team intended to eventually move AD to the 5, but this article shoots down that notion. Sounds like they fully intend on getting a big-bodied center to allow AD to stay at the 4.
    ...but at the same time, they do still love AD/Ryno as their ultimate pairing. Withey and Jinca have the rim protecting attribute that they seek, but unfortunately they don't seem to be big bruisers that can displace bodies and eat rebounds (at least not ideally)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    That was as spot on as possible.

Really fair article.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

“Everyone wants to compare him to Tim [Duncan]. I see him more like LaMarcus [Aldridge], but with a better handle."
    - Monty Williams throwing huge piles of oak into the "Fire Monty" bonfire.

If Davis is Aldridge with a better handle then I'm Barack Obama.
    (sidenote: I am not Barack Obama)
    Davis is a far superior player to Aldridge in nearly every aspect. besides shooting which is shoring up quickly. I love Aldridge too. That statement makes me question Monty's sanity.

"the route we chose ... to build through a combination of free agency and the draft"
    -Dell on how they decided to build around Davis

I'm all about keeping Rivers and developing him but I think he may become a useful rotation player. Same with Withey and Pierre. Who else have we used through the draft to build around Davis? What?

It also kind of leads the reader to believe that we acquired Gordon to build around Davis. We got Gordon before Davis then says we got Anderson at "about the same time" how about a year later?

As far as Dell's vision of dribble penetration it sounds like the Dribble Drive offense would be perfect for us. If you were on the George Karl bandwagon before then you should be excited.

Monty said that getting a monstrous big that demands attention should be the number one priority. I disagree. I think you need a fully functioning good five man unit. Who in our current closing five (when healthy) is the weakest link? Gordon. I think that is the number one issue. If you could replace Gordon with Sefelosha would our closing unit be worse or better? I think a little better actually (we lose some offense when Gordon/Thabo has the ball, draw even off the ball, and improve on defense) and we'd have money to give a big like Koufas (ideally) and shore up any other bench players to add depth and mitigate injury issues. To me that should be the top priority and I hope that is what Dell is trying to do.
    Last edited by Jabberwalker; 02-07-2014 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

I think AD to Aldridge is a pretty good comparison. They both are long and athletic as hell and can score. However, Aldridge has a better post game and AD has more handles and plays WAY better defense! I like the job Demps is doing. I think he is a very good GM. However, I don't think Monty is HORRIBLE with rotations and in game adjustments.

I always liked the AD and Aldridge comparison in regards to offense. Both guys have a little range and length. Aldridge needed a few years until he was strong enough in the post.

The Pelicans’ desired closing unit -- Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Anderson, Davis -- dominated the league offensively this season before its members started dropping like flies, scoring an ungodly 123.5 points per 100 possessions. The assist rate for that lineup is over 20 percent, well above the league average. Even when the three ball dominators share the floor, their assist rate is a respectable 16.8, about the league average.
    That's impressive... man I wish these guys can stay healthy.

Best article about the Pels that I have read in a while. I still don't believe that Monty has what it takes to lead this team into championship contention healthy or not. It seems that Demps and Monty have different visions. Monty cannot adapt to the quick penetrating offensive team that Demps is building, which is evident by him consistently giving minutes to offensive snails like Roberts and Vasquez. He also has no direction on how to coach his offense with the talent that he has. This is not a defensive team as built, and Monty has to realize this. We are built more like OKC or the Clippers, not the Spurs or the Pacers.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 02-07-2014 at 01:29 PM.

look at the jump the Blazers have made this season... simply with Wes knocking down outside shots & finding a competent center. Thats our offseason. Replace Aminu (don't think Darius would be a terrible guy if that means more money for a C) and get that defensive, big body rim protector to play 20-25 minutes. With Evans & Anderson still on the bench & close most games other than against a team with dwight or hibbert, this team can see a huge jump in standings. Blazers made small adjustments, nothing crazy & could've easily shipped out LA

LOL @ the comments under the article. Pels fans go hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    look at the jump the Blazers have made this season... simply with Wes knocking down outside shots & finding a competent center. Thats our offseason. Replace Aminu (don't think Darius would be a terrible guy if that means more money for a C) and get that defensive, big body rim protector to play 20-25 minutes. With Evans & Anderson still on the bench & close most games other than against a team with dwight or hibbert, this team can see a huge jump in standings. Blazers made small adjustments, nothing crazy & could've easily shipped out LA
    I also think it helps a lot when all of your starters have yet to miss a single game this season. Amazing. We, as Pelicans fans, can only wonder what that would be like for our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Best article about the Pels that I have read in a while. I still don't believe that Monty has what it takes to lead this team into championship contention healthy or not. It seems that Demps and Monty have different visions. Monty cannot adapt to the quick penetrating offensive team that Demps is building, which is evident by him consistently giving minutes to offensive snails like Roberts and Vasquez. He also has no direction on how to coach his offense with the talent that he has. This is not a defensive team as built, and Monty has to realize this. We are built more like OKC or the Clippers, not the Spurs or the Pacers.
    This post sums it up for me! I'm been saying that for a while now! I hate to post trades because I'm not Demps, but I think trading Gordon for a big like Monroe and maybe add a role playing sharpshooting SF to replace Aminu. We would really be in business!

I really like Ajinca and Withey and I hope we keep them around for a long time.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    I also think it helps a lot when all of your starters have yet to miss a single game this season. Amazing. We, as Pelicans fans, can only wonder what that would be like for our team.
    Not to mention the cohesion they all have in playing together for years.

I understand all the moves Dell made and I don't think any of them were indefensible. But I still wonder if we'd have been better off just doing less and letting Davis mature. If our starting five was Trey Burke/Gordon/Aminu/Davis/Lopez with Ryno/Rivers/Smith/Roberts/Morrow off the bench + gobs of cap space + our number one pick in the draft, going into this off season, which option would you pick? As much as I like Jrue & Tyreke, I think I'd go for option 2...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDawg26 View Post
    This post sums it up for me! I'm been saying that for a while now! I hate to post trades because I'm not Demps, but I think trading Gordon for a big like Monroe and maybe add a role playing sharpshooting SF to replace Aminu. We would really be in business!
    I agree. Here are the 2 trade ideas I posted in another thread.

Pistons get Gordon and Aminu
    Pels get Monroe, Stuckey, and Villanueva(for salary purposes).
    Pistons would then move Smith to PF.

or

Bucks get Gordon
    Pels get Sanders and Mayo.

I know Mayo isn't the best option, but shedding Gordon's contract for a defensive center and an overpaid but still offensively capable SG is a good trade.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I understand all the moves Dell made and I don't think any of them were indefensible. But I still wonder if we'd have been better off just doing less and letting Davis mature. If our starting five was Trey Burke/Gordon/Aminu/Davis/Lopez with Ryno/Rivers/Smith/Roberts/Morrow off the bench + gobs of cap space + our number one pick in the draft, going into this off season, which option would you pick? As much as I like Jrue & Tyreke, I think I'd go for option 2...
    Sure that would have been an option, but if you read the article you understand Loomis told them they need to win sooner than later. That's why Dell did what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    After reading the article and the 5-on-5 debate, I agree that in hindsight, trading Lopez for Evans was a bad move. I still like the Holiday trade though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    After reading the article and the 5-on-5 debate, I agree that in hindsight, trading Lopez for Evans was a bad move. I still like the Holiday trade though.
    I still think it's too early for the Tyreke trade. He makes Gordon expendable and if we are able to move Gordon for cap and get a decent center and SF then the trade will have been great. I'll withhold judgement until we see what happens with Gordon.

Tyreke is a monster on the floor with Anderson. Or if we had a good SF. Yes he needs a couple good shooters around him, but if you do that, he is beast mode. Give me Jrue, Evans, 3&D SF, Anderson, Davis and I think in 2 years we can compete with any team. Long term I think it has the ability to be a really good trade.

Dell and Monty really needs to get on the same page. Dell is trying to build a present day fast pasted NBA team and Monty is trying to coach a 1990's dominate center type team.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Dell and Monty really needs to get on the same page. Dell is trying to build a present day fast pasted NBA team and Monty is trying to coach a 1990's dominate center type team.
    I am Team Dell on that debate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Are we sure that Monty and Dell are on the same page?

Thread Information