Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Game Thread: Hawks @ Pelicans

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Probably, but I give props to a guy who beat a good team with Brian Roberts or Anthony Morrow as his third best player. I mean, missing Jrue, Tyreke, and Anderson and you beat a smart and talented team in Atlanta. I can't defend everything he does, but I don't think it is fair that the Fire Monty people scream and shout after a loss and just don't say anything after a win. Instead they wait for a loss, almost as if they welcome it so they can have another chance to complain. Give credit where it is due from time to time.
    I agree with that. I've never been on the Monty is the worst coach in the league bandwagon, my thing has always been we should aim higher. I don't want to fire him just to take a lateral step, or god forbid actually higher a guy that is a notch below. The logic is a little crooked, but how far can a coach like Monty lead you in the playoffs? Second round? Conference Finals? Finals? We've seen him get out coached and out maneuvered numerous times. That's where I stand on it.

I hear you and Schwan talk about Rivers is a replacement level guard, or Stiemsma is a replacement level big. As a head coach, where exactly is Monty?

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I agree with that. I've never been on the Monty is the worst coach in the league bandwagon, my thing has always been we should aim higher. I don't want to fire him just to take a lateral step, or god forbid actually higher a guy that is a notch below. The logic is a little crooked, but how far can a coach like Monty lead you in the playoffs? Second round? Conference Finals? Finals? We've seen him get out coached and out maneuvered numerous times. That's where I stand on it.
    Agree with all that. He has his faults. He obviously didn't know that you have to cover Mike Scott with a wing player tonight, for instance. Didn't figure it out until the second half.

But I don't think either side should be all positive or all negative. He is a middle of the pack head coach. Some good, some bad.
    @mcnamara247

If I'm being completely honest, as much as I'd like an upgrade, I feel like he'll be here for atleast another season.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    If I'm being completely honest, as much as I'd like an upgrade, I feel like he'll be here for atleast another season.
    I think that is pretty much a given. But nothing wrong saying what you want, even though it won't happen.

But yeah, he ain't going nowhere. I wish the Fire Monty threads would turn into a list of specific complaints and then we can track if he improves on those things. Would be more productive.

Last night Monty made adjustments in the second half and played the hot hand in Morrow. He played small and used Aminu as a small ball four. The only blunder to me was Roberts. It is the most confusing thing in the world to me that Roberts closed the game instead of Rivers. Rivers was playing well. Roberts almost gave the game away after being burned on defense twice in a row before turning the ball over and then finally making a tough shot after missing another dumb shot only plays before. I was glad to see Monty be adaptive last night but his man crush on Roberts is so confusing to me. That was a good win. Didn't think we had much of a chance in that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Hawks gave Roberts a lot of credit last night.

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/blog/wha...-pelicans-2514

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Last night Monty made adjustments in the second half and played the hot hand in Morrow. He played small and used Aminu as a small ball four. The only blunder to me was Roberts. It is the most confusing thing in the world to me that Roberts closed the game instead of Rivers. Rivers was playing well. Roberts almost gave the game away after being burned on defense twice in a row before turning the ball over and then finally making a tough shot after missing another dumb shot only plays before. I was glad to see Monty be adaptive last night but his man crush on Roberts is so confusing to me. That was a good win. Didn't think we had much of a chance in that one.
    It took him a half of basketball (if not more) to figure that out though. We had our bigs chasing Mike Scott around the perimeter the entire first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I said at halftime. If Atlants makes 5 threes in the second half we lose. Luckily they misses some open ones, and we contested a little better. They made 3 in the second half. And we win by 5.

Thread Information