Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New draft angle: buying a pick outside of the lottery

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar

New draft angle: buying a pick outside of the lottery

Anyone think that Benson would pony up 3 million to grab a McDermott, Warren, Fair or Robinson III?

Obviously you need a partner but this is considered a weak draft so why not?
    Wherehappens.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Wait? This draft is weak too?!?

pony up 3 million? why 3 million?

The Franchise
    I asked the question last year or so about buying draft picks and it seems its about 3 million for 1st round picks and 500,000 for 2nd round picks. I'm sure prices vary so don't kill me if the price ain't quite right.

I'd love to get another pick or 2. It cheap to have young players and you can groom them for what you need. I'd rather Miller and Withey than Stiemsma and Morrow.

I had wanted to get back in the draft and get Harkless but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Anyone think that Benson would pony up 3 million to grab a McDermott, Warren, Fair or Robinson III?

McDermott is on his way to player of the year. If he continues at this pace. He will easily be a top 10 pick IMO. If not then def a lotto pick. Same with gr3...the other 2 I agree could be had after the lotto picks tho. Hopefully our scouts are on top of their game and we can snatch a hidden gem. Who knows.

This draft is weak? News to me

The Franchise
    The Suns could end up with 4 picks and the Bobcats could end up with 3 in the first round. So you have 2 teams right there that would definitely trade some of their picks. Also a lot of SF coming out that could fall a ways down because some SF will be available in Free Agency and trade(notably Orlando and Denver).

I think Saric, Hood, and McDermott could go anywhere from 5 to 18 depending on team needs. There is a good range we could get into with Orlando at 13, Charlotte at 15, and Phoenix at 17.

some high profile team like the heat or spurs will sell their pick to lower taxes... not mid lottery though, more like 20s

I would love Hood on this team classic 3&D guy

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    pony up 3 million? why 3 million?
    That's the limit per pick and I'd assume after some research that it would take the max to get a mid to late first round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Ash View Post
    Lotto guy no doubt sadly.

The guy I would go after is KJ McDaniels.

Would be the ideal guy for this team. Could be the next Kawhi if team works on his shooting way that SA did with Kawhi. Exact type of player Dell and Monty would fall in love with.
    @mcnamara247

cj fair please

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    cj fair please
    Go watch some McDaniels. I guarantee that you will change your mind. Fair is a solid (inefficient) scorer but he is so thin and can't impact the game in multiple ways. McDaniels might be the best shot blocking wing in the last ten years, can rebound, and his offensive game is really developing. Athleticism off the charts. Seriously, go watch. NOW!

I'm really starting to fall in love with this kid Rodney hoods game. Been watching a lot of duke and he has improved big time from 1st game of the season. Def don't think he will make it out of the lotto tho.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I'm really starting to fall in love with this kid Rodney hoods game. Been watching a lot of duke and he has improved big time from 1st game of the season. Def don't think he will make it out of the lotto tho.
    Agree that Hood is a possible perfect compliment offensively, but again, this team will have plenty of scoring options - especially as AD continues to mature on that side. I would prefer a guy who can dominate games without having to touch the ball much. McDaniels is just unreal. I need to turn off my computer right now or I am going to miss the Super Bowl, because I can't stop watching this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post

When was this draft ever considered weak? It's actually been labeled the exact opposite. I don't think it's as crazy strong as some suggested a few months back but it def is not weak. It's def shaping up to an above avg class.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Agree that Hood is a possible perfect compliment offensively, but again, this team will have plenty of scoring options - especially as AD continues to mature on that side. I would prefer a guy who can dominate games without having to touch the ball much. McDaniels is just unreal. I need to turn off my computer right now or I am going to miss the Super Bowl, because I can't stop watching this guy.
    Impressed. Just watched a highlight tape. Gonna watch more later on. It's time!!!!!

Hood is like trevor ariza, but better with more offensive potential

Go watch some McDaniels. I guarantee that you will change your mind. Fair is a solid (inefficient) scorer but he is so thin and can't impact the game in multiple ways. McDaniels might be the best shot blocking wing in the last ten years, can rebound, and his offensive game is really developing. Athleticism off the charts. Seriously, go watch. NOW!
    i'd love to watch some film on him, link up a good video of him so i dont have to get stuck lookin at crappy ones, thanks.

also i wouldnt mind buying a 2nd round pick and drafting lebryan nash

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Ash View Post
    Rod Hood? Dude is going top 7

The guy I would go after is KJ McDaniels.

Would be the ideal guy for this team. Could be the next Kawhi if team works on his shooting way that SA did with Kawhi. Exact type of player Dell and Monty would fall in love with.
    Too bad Dell doesnt seem to value draft picks very highly. I don't see him going to Benson and saying, "Uh, Mr. Benson, could you pony up $3 mil so we can buy a draft pick to draft this 20 year old with no NBA experience, even though Monty won't hardly play him next season, because, you know, he's an inexperienced rookie."

I jest of course, but I still don't see Dell going out of his way to make this team younger. Unless "The Miracle" happens and he has a shot at Embiid or Wiggins.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Impressed. Just watched a highlight tape. Gonna watch more later on. It's time!!!!!
    Yeah MM may be on to something here. This kid looks like an NBA player. Would love to add him to this team.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Yeah MM may be on to something here. This kid looks like an NBA player. Would love to add him to this team.
    Going to have to look this kid up if you guys keep talking about him.

Thread Information