Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Game Thread: Spurs @ Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    Enough with the tanking BS...we've already won to many games for that ****. And if he's tanking even though we still gonna lose the pick regardless...then that even more reason to get him the **** out of here...
    Well then it's even more frightening if this wasn't a tanking job. Coaching incompetency at its best look at Monty Williams.

Why isn't rivers starting yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbywmccarty View Post
    Why isn't rivers starting yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same reason Tyreke doesn't start. It's how Monty planned it from day 1. Can't change now.

Just watched the game (without knowing the result). What a joke.

Roberts in the 1st half was so pathetic, I can't believe Monty stuck with him so long. Gordon gets hot-> Monty pulls him. Morrow gets hot -> Monty pulls him Rivers playing well and making Parker take tough shots -> monty pulls him.

Also AD was just trying to do too much, he took the match-up very personally and in his inexperience just tried to carry the offensive load despite being stone cold. Yes he got fouled on a few takes to the rim, but he turned it over without being fouled just as many times. He seemed to be taking jumpers when they were playing him tight and trying to get to the rim when they sagged off.

Very disappointing and I understand Tim Duncan is a tough match-up but still think we shoulda seen Withey.

In that ridiculous 'Monty is doing a good job' thread I posted the following, and he proves me 100% yet again

"If the goals were to see what we had for the future why is Rivers stuck behind Roberts, Withey behind Steamer and Darius playing rarely? Vets like Steamer and Roberts will never be anything more than they already are, so them getting minutes at the expense of young players is pretty stupid.

Plus Monty's rotations in general are rubbish

His late game play calls are questionable at best

His defensive scheme doesn't work. The over- hedge, help the helper system hasn't worked the past couple of years. Yes it worked his first season here, but it isn't now and he needs to make the adjustments for the personnel we have.

His offensive schemes are pretty poor. The team was operating in a way where many players were sharing the ball alot and alot of guys could average 15ppg. That hasn't really been successful in recent times. The Heat with Lebron and Wade as a second option, Spurs with Duncan and Parker, Mavs with Dirk, Lakers with Kobe and Pau, Oklahoma with KD and Westbrook. Having 5 guys capable of 15ppg hasn't been successful in recent times. He needs to pick a player to be our lead scorer and let the other guys work off him.

I would say Gordon in the first unit and Reke in the second as AD, Jrue and Ryno are all effective off the ball (AD is incredibly effective off the ball and could move into the role of lead option one day soon). But that's just my opinion. I don't think it's a coincidence that even without Ryno and Jrue we have won some games of late. Gordon and AD are looking for their own more which attracts extra attention from defenses, leaving the guys around them with good looks on defenses trying to rotate.

His in-game adjustments are poor, are 3rd quarters are crap because the other coach makes the necessary adjustments and we don't.

He often pulls the hot-hand. Many times when Gordon is hot to start, he pulls him at the 8 minute mark and only puts him back in with 7:30 left in the second. Many people have then criticised Gordon for going missing after a hot start but alot of that falls on Monty. That much time sitting on the bench is almost like starting a new game. He has done the same to Reke quite often."

Quote Originally Posted by carpo View Post

Roberts in the 1st half was so pathetic, I can't believe Monty stuck with him so long. Gordon gets hot-> Monty pulls him. Morrow gets hot -> Monty pulls him Rivers playing well and making Parker take tough shots -> monty pulls him.

Also AD was just trying to do too much, he took the match-up very personally and in his inexperience just tried to carry the offensive load despite being stone cold. Yes he got fouled on a few takes to the rim, but he turned it over without being fouled just as many times. He seemed to be taking jumpers when they were playing him tight and trying to get to the rim when they sagged off.

Very disappointing and I understand Tim Duncan is a tough match-up but still think we shoulda seen Withey.

In that ridiculous 'Monty is doing a good job' thread I posted the following, and he proves me 100% yet again

"If the goals were to see what we had for the future why is Rivers stuck behind Roberts, Withey behind Steamer and Darius playing rarely? Vets like Steamer and Roberts will never be anything more than they already are, so them getting minutes at the expense of young players is pretty stupid.

His defensive scheme doesn't work. The over- hedge, help the helper system hasn't worked the past couple of years. Yes it worked his first season here, but it isn't now and he needs to make the adjustments for the personnel we have.

His offensive schemes are pretty poor. The team was operating in a way where many players were sharing the ball alot and alot of guys could average 15ppg. That hasn't really been successful in recent times. The Heat with Lebron and Wade as a second option, Spurs with Duncan and Parker, Mavs with Dirk, Lakers with Kobe and Pau, Oklahoma with KD and Westbrook. Having 5 guys capable of 15ppg hasn't been successful in recent times. He needs to pick a player to be our lead scorer and let the other guys work off him.

I would say Gordon in the first unit and Reke in the second as AD, Jrue and Ryno are all effective off the ball (AD is incredibly effective off the ball and could move into the role of lead option one day soon). But that's just my opinion. I don't think it's a coincidence that even without Ryno and Jrue we have won some games of late. Gordon and AD are looking for their own more which attracts extra attention from defenses, leaving the guys around them with good looks on defenses trying to rotate.

His in-game adjustments are poor, are 3rd quarters are crap because the other coach makes the necessary adjustments and we don't.

He often pulls the hot-hand. Many times when Gordon is hot to start, he pulls him at the 8 minute mark and only puts him back in with 7:30 left in the second. Many people have then criticised Gordon for going missing after a hot start but alot of that falls on Monty. That much time sitting on the bench is almost like starting a new game. He has done the same to Reke quite often."
    I agree with everything you said ..great post
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    ok THIS is what i talking about when i said monty does not know how to play player matchups, why is gordon on patty freaking mills and not tony parker? gordon should be on parker and roberts on patty...
    sorry but i gotta bump this, can anyone give me an answer???

After that Jan 15th game against Rockets (basically the same thing as tonight's game), I was told by Jim Eichenhofer that in Monty's scheme, BR is for O and Rivers is for D. I assume that was the same reason why Roberts checked in by the end of the game.
    But honestly, why I couldn't see anything in O Roberts was doing better than Rivers today?

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Monty's rotations really do reek of going by a locked in, rigid minute allocation. Something he does before the game and that he refuses to deviate from. He did it last year with AD. Only it seemed to be situational as well. Limiting AD to no put too much pressure on him.

Anyways. AD is going to have to adjust to how to attack teams that D up on him. Like the brilliantly written post before, he pulls up when people are on him time and he drives when he's got room. It sometimes feels like that's what you should do, but he'll learn how to read the way his men are playing him.

Just 20 years old. I gotta remind myself of this sometimes just how raw he is in some areas of the game.

Game Thread: Spurs @ Pelicans

A aspect the people miss of this game is after Duncan and Parker got those techs we proceeded to get no calls. Our guys need to take this tip and go after the refs once in a while to show they're not push overs.
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 02-04-2014 at 01:01 AM.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    A aspect the people miss of this game is after Duncan and Parker got those techs we proceeded to get no calls. Our guys need to take this tip and go after the refs once in a while to show there not push overs.
    i def noticed this and thought the same, but that also comes with being a vet

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    I don't understand why when Rivers make a mistake he is pulled instantly but when Roberts does he lets him to continue you **** up.
    At school were the teachers harder on the retards or the ones with actual potential?

Mystery solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    At school were the teachers harder on the retards or the ones with actual potential?

Mystery solved.
    lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by carpo View Post

you mean like the one (late in the 4th when we desperately need a bucket) where we went to Aminu for the corner 3?

Mystery solved.
    Horrible.

Mystery solved.
    So Rivers is a retard and Roberts has potential? OKAY

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

this game really hurts... coulda been a signature win & 5-1 over the last 6 with some winnable games ahead & an opportunity to streak into all star break around .500

Reke is the new Gordon with the injuries.
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    this game really hurts... coulda been a signature win & 5-1 over the last 6 with some winnable games ahead & an opportunity to streak into all star break around .500
    I don't think any game really hurts anymore moving forward. No chance at playoffs, little to no chance at keeping our pick. Everything over these last 40 or so games is just a learning experience and an opportunity to grow. Hopefully Monty and the team learned a lot from that fourth quarter. Play it different the next time.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don't think any game really hurts anymore moving forward. No chance at playoffs, little to no chance at keeping our pick. Everything over these last 40 or so games is just a learning experience and an opportunity to grow. Hopefully Monty and the team learned a lot from that fourth quarter. Play it different the next time.
    So Monty didn't learn the first time, when the Lakers abused Lopez like they abused Stiemsma tonight? I don't buy it. Monty is to stubborn to grow from a 4th quarter like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    So Monty didn't learn the first time, when the Lakers abused Lopez like they abused Stiemsma tonight? I don't buy it. Monty is to stubborn to grow from a 4th quarter like that.
    Maybe, maybe not. I won't know until the future gets here.

I know I have seen hundreds of players make the same mistakes, until they don't anymore. Possible with coaches too I suppose.

Or maybe this is his fatal flaw. We won't know until we know.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I won't know until the future gets here.

I know I have seen hundreds of players make the same mistakes, until they don't anymore. Possible with coaches too I suppose.

Or maybe this is his fatal flaw. We won't know until we know.
    Sounds like a prayer. lol I try to forget that game more than anything, but last night was like Deja Vu.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Screw the doom and gloom we aren't good enough crap from everybody. I agree with this. This game was winnable. Bigfoot came in with his greasy massive hands and pickpocketed the game from Monty while Monty sat there with his same expressionless face wondering what the hell is going on.

Are we making the playoffs? Not likely...at all. Would it have been fun to get within 3-5 games of that 8th seed with 10 games left? YES

This game point all one who we got out coach Broner was a non factor all game but pops knew Monty would keep AD on him so kept his camped out at the 3. Also he knew Roberts wasn't even fazing Tony so he just let him go to work, The worst part he tried to put the blame on the players, yes they made mistakes but that game was their's to win. When he looks back at the tapes he would be a fool not to see that. Why did you even keep Steam over Alexis he was doing great all night guarding Duncan and protecting the rim.

Thread Information