Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Luke Babbit Almost a Pelican?

Quote Originally Posted by hagios View Post
    Probably should be pointed out that Monty is a coach. He's not in charge of personnel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Comprehend what you just posted. Really, pay attention to what you are saying.
    Monty, just like every coach on down to biddy basketball has a say on who's on his roster! So stop posting foolishness please.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    Everyone said negative things about Alexis when he came but I would say he has helped this team about lets give the guy a chance before we call it a waste of a signing .
    I'm pretty sure the reception was pretty positive for Alexis if my memory serves correctly and this is because it was low cost, he has phenomenal length and there's no real stars at his position. Babbit's size and athleticism suck, and arguably our 2 best players play his position (granted one is injured). Quite a difference to the Alexis signing.

On another note imagine how good a value Alexis would be if he stopped committing such stupid Steamer-like fouls so often.

So it's not all doom and gloom that I post on here I will say that:
    A- Dell has almost undeniably done a great job at the little moves. Roberts and Ajinca were brought in from Europe after the league gave up on them or never had the chance and have provided enough to show that they likely warrant a roster spot in the NBA (at the end of the bench instead of what they're currently getting but still)
    B- He's a shooter and hopefully that will help Reke. I struggle to see how he (assuming he mainly plays the three) helps put more shooters on the floor since we have Roberts, Gordon, Miller, and Morrow already on the roster. Those four can handle the 1-3 spots who can spot up, know the system, and likely play as good or better defense than Babbitt will give us.
    C- Filling a roster spot with a guy who doesn't seem to be a total bum for the league minimum in a year where we are missing the playoffs isn't a terrible move on any account. If there is some part of him that seems as though he can provide something in the future then we can at least kick the tires even if it is a 1:100 chance.

Of course I'm excited to see a new player on the squad. He teaches us more about the game, and how his skills affect the talent around him. I just don't think it's fair (read annoying) to post how a player is the answer when there was literally no demand before we looked at him.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    Comprehend what you just posted. Really, pay attention to what you are saying.
    Monty, just like every coach on down to biddy basketball has a say on who's on his roster! So stop posting foolishness please.
    Dude, blame the right guy if you don't like the move. The GM makes those decisions in the NBA. I'm not sure, but I think biddy ball works a little different.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Dude, blame the right guy if you don't like the move. The GM makes those decisions in the NBA. I'm not sure, but I think biddy ball works a little different.

If you don't feel like GMs and HCs collaborate on personnel then there is nothing else I can say. Do you really think GMs just say "here you go" make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    If you don't feel like GMs and HCs collaborate on personnel then there is nothing else I can say. Do you really think GMs just say "here you go" make it work.
    There is a difference between input authority and decision making authority. You can't BLAME the guy for a decision that he doesn't and can't make. Its simple.

There is a difference between input authority and decision making authority. You can't BLAME the guy for a decision that he doesn't and can't make. Its simple.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything, I just want to make sure you understand that GMs don't just throw players at coaches without their consent and expect them to just fit in. If Monty tells Demps hey go get this guy, and we do, is that really on Demps as a bad personnel move?

Bumping this thread instead of making another one. Darius was talked about a little in here. Thought it would be worth noting that Miller has logged limited minutes in just 2 games this month. What do you guys think that means (if anything) about how Demps or Monty thinks about him moving forward?

Bumping this thread instead of making another one. Darius was talked about a little in here. Thought it would be worth noting that Miller has logged limited minutes in just 2 games this month. What do you guys think that means (if anything) about how Demps or Monty thinks about him moving forward?
    Really think at this point they should just give aminu's minutes to Miller & Babbitt. Miller should start at the 3 but only play like 18-20 minutes a game. Aminu isn't doing anything well right now, just need to ship em out for whatever we can get

Just so people know. In the 3 games Babbitt has played, he's logged 99% of his minutes at the PF position. In 19 minutes per game he is giving us 7-4-1 and just under 2 blocks a game on 40% shooting from 3.

Super small sample size. My gut tells me his block stats are inflated and that will come down to roughly 1/gm or slightly below. I think he still gets some because he hustles on defense A LOT. I think his 3pt shooting is right on mark with expected, his rebounding is roughly where it will be maybe slightly lower (might average 5), and I think his points are lower than they will average out to be. He's had quiet a few 2s roll out and put backs that just haven't fallen. He's shooting abnormally low from 2 and hasn't had a FT attempt at all. I think once he gets to the line for a couple shots a game and his 2pters fall he will increase his PPG.

I would be over the moon excited if he ends up averaging 11-5-1 in 20 minutes a game on 40% shooting from 3. He'd be a great poor man's Ryno and would allow Ryno to start while still giving Evans the shooting he needs to be successful. Super impressed so far. Hopefully keeps it going.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I like Bobbit, he knocks down threes, is tall, and his biggest detriment (Defending) has looked alright. Last night there was a play where he got switched onto Lowry and Lowry licked his chops and tried to drive right past him. However, Babbit stayed in front of him and forced Lowry into a fade away mid range. I was impressed, and I think just maybe he has a role as an off the bench stretch 4 in this league.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 02-11-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Just so people know. In the 3 games Babbitt has played, he's logged 99% of his minutes at the PF position. In 19 minutes per game he is giving us 7-4-1 and just under 2 blocks a game on 40% shooting from 3.

Super small sample size. My gut tells me his block stats are inflated and that will come down to roughly 1/gm or slightly below. I think he still gets some because he hustles on defense A LOT. I think his 3pt shooting is right on mark with expected, his rebounding is roughly where it will be maybe slightly lower (might average 5), and I think his points are lower than they will average out to be. He's had quiet a few 2s roll out and put backs that just haven't fallen. He's shooting abnormally low from 2 and hasn't had a FT attempt at all. I think once he gets to the line for a couple shots a game and his 2pters fall he will increase his PPG.

I would be over the moon excited if he ends up averaging 11-5-1 in 20 minutes a game on 40% shooting from 3. He'd be a great poor man's Ryno and would allow Ryno to start while still giving Evans the shooting he needs to be successful. Super impressed so far. Hopefully keeps it going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I like Bobbit, he knocks down threes is tall and his biggest detriment (Defending) has looked alright. Last night there was a play where he got switched onto Lowry and Lowry licked his chops and tried to drive right past him. However, Babbit stayed in front of him and forced Lowry into a fade away mid range. I was impressed, and I think just maybe he has a role as an off the bench stretch 4 in this league.
    I'm not so sure about the 99% thing, but I'd have a hard time arguing with any of the points you two have made.

I'm not so sure about the 99% thing, but I'd have a hard time arguing with any of the points you two have made.
    I'm basing it off of basketball reference. They have him listed as playing 99% of his minutes at PF.

I have loved Babbitt's game

his 3pt shooting, defense, rebounding and hustle have been pleasant surprises, good job Dell once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm basing it off of basketball reference. They have him listed as playing 99% of his minutes at PF.
    I didn't think you were just making that # up I just don't agree. Distinctively remember him being on the floor with AD and Steamer last game for more than 30 seconds, which would be less than 99% of his 58 minutes. I Also thought he played mainly the 3 in the wolves game.

I didn't think you were just making that # up I just don't agree. Distinctively remember him being on the floor with AD and Steamer last game for more than 30 seconds, which would be less than 99% of his 58 minutes. I Also thought he played mainly the 3 in the wolves game.
    I don't remember the game last night whether he was on the floor with AD and Steamer a ton or not. I was however in section 108 of the Wolves game and he mainly played PF. Once AD got in foul trouble he even was guarding Love. Morrow played late in the game and SF. At one point in the 4th we went with a Roberts, Gordon, Morrow, Babbitt, Davis lineup. The wolves helped us because they played small a good bit of the game.

Even if it wasn't 99% I still think it's the large majority of his minutes. He played most of his minutes last night with Evans playing SF.

Thread Information