Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke Babbit Almost a Pelican?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I've hoped for a while that we would sign this guy so I hope it happens.
    This however sadly means the end for Aminu in my opinion.
    We are close to signing a guy who has fallen out of the league, is too slow to guard 3s, too small to guard 4s in fact his defense would make the French in WWII look good. He hasn't been a very good rebounder in his NBA career and the only reason he got picked so high was his jumpshot and some nice crafty moods inside. Unfortunately a few crafty moves inside ain't going to cut it in the NBA and his jumpshot isn't exactly elite either. In fact his career 3 pt% is lower than Austin Rivers on the season.

I'm not inclined to believe AFA has too much too worry about. I honestly think it's a horrible signing, even in Russia the guy hasn't excelled he is arguably not even the best player on his team.

I'd love to be proven wrong but if we want a pickup from that way Goudelock is a better player (wrong position granted) or Khryapa

So can someone explain to me what the situation is with his contract in Russia?
    Does it simply come down to a buy out with the Russian club or is he stuck with them for one year?
    There was no buyout option in the contract and they publicly tweeted in English that they weren't letting him out of his contract. I think they are shaking Demps down for the $500k he's allowed to pay for a buyout. The question is, how much is half a season of Babbit worth to Demps.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    There was no buyout option in the contract and they publicly tweeted in English that they weren't letting him out of his contract. I think they are shaking Demps down for the $500k he's allowed to pay for a buyout. The question is, how much is half a season of Babbit worth to Demps.
    How depressing would it be if this was our biggest move during the season?

According to EuroHoops.net we have given a contract offer to Babbitt, but obviously needs to get out of his Russian deal first.

A new kind of “cold war” has emerged, this time between American player Luke Babbitt and his Russian team Nizhny Novgorod. Babbitt was the marquee summer addition to the team which competes in Eurocup and VTB league, however he wants to leave in order to return to the NBA as he has a contract offer by New Orleans Pelicans. EuroHoops.net

"Cold War"? really? there was absolutely no need to use that expression.

i'd rather sign cartier martin

I'd rather sign Justin Bieber to sell out some games.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    You're kidding, right ?
    I mean, just compare the two players on what they've done at the same stage.

During their rookie years both played in the D-League, let's see the stats :
    Babbitt 29min (14 games) 20.1 points (55 2P%, 37.5 3P%, 88.1 FT%) 7.4 rbds 1.5 asst 0.9 stl
    Miller 27.2min (11 games) 9.9 points ( 41.9 2P%, 51.2 3P%, 76.9 FT%) 3.5 rbds 1.6 asst 0.6 stl

So except for the 3point shooting and the assist, Babbit perfomed better than Miller. He dominated in D-league.

Then let's compare their stats as sophomore in the NBA :
    Babbitt 40 games 13.4min 5.1 points (41 FG%, 43.0 3P%, 85.0 FT%) 2.4 rbds 0.4 assts
    Miller 22 games 13.2 min 3.1 points ( 42.6 FG%, 39.4 3P%, 90.9 FT%) 1.3 rbds 0.8 assts

So again, except for the assist, Babbitt performed better at the same stage of development.

Now, let's take a look at how he performs this year in Russia :
    VTB United League 9 games 19.4 minutes 13.3 points (47.9 2P%, 51.6 3P%, 81.3 FT%) 3.7 rbds 1.3 asst
    Eurocup 9 games 16.1 minutes 13.2points (55 2P%, 63.3 3P%, 85.7 FT%) 3.7 rbds 1.2 asst

For comparison's sake here are the Eurocup stats of Dario Saric :
    10 games 32.1 minutes 12.9 points 8.3 rbds 2.7 assts

Babbitt's number are just stellar. So he proved he could fit quickly in a new culture (life in russia, serbian head coach), that shows some great maturity.

IMO he's clearly more ready to contibute this year than Miller.

Now about the "far more upside" thing, did you know that Babbitt is only 9 month older than Miller ? He's also taller (by 1 inch) and has longer wingspan (by 2 inches). I mean he may not be as athletic as Miller is but it's not like Darius is using it to beat the opponents.

Babbitt seems to be a poor man's Gallinari and he's low risk gamble, so I like this signing.
    Are you the real Luke Babbit!? Making a case for yourself to get out of Russia I see.. To be honest I will be pissed if we sign you not disrespect but you are hot garbadge. If you take 1 minute away from Miller I will not be a season ticket holder next season

Can anybody explain why we have not taken a look at Joe Ingles but we are on this guys trail? Why not give somebody like Ingles a shot with how the season is going now. Can't hurt at all and could give us a perfect role player with a similar game to Parsons. I think we will be one of the teams in a bidding war for Parson when the time comes. Him and Ryno on the same court would be dangerous. Curry and Thompson mite be the best 3pt shooting back court in NBA history but Parsons and Ryno would be the best 3pt shooting front court in NBA history

In a brief interview of Sergei Panov, former Russian national team player and general manager of Nizhny, which was reproduced in the official site of the team, it’s clear that Nizhny at this point will not let Babbitt return to the NBA. As Panov said: “They made us an offer, which didn’t satisfied us. Now we will negotiate through agents, attorneys and lawyers. I learned some new English words after this incident like “spit in the face” and “**** on your soul”". At this point, if Nizhny and the Russian basketball federation refuse to send the letter of clearance of Babbitt to the States, he will not be able to sign anywhere else until the end of the season according to the FIBA-NBA agreement.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    I'd rather sign Justin Bieber to sell out some games.
    ...that dude can't stay out of the news. Every time I tuen on cnn he is labeled out of control. Now he assaulted a limo driver right after egging his neighbors house and causing 20k in damage lmao. Never knew u could cause 20k damage with eggs.

In a brief interview of Sergei Panov, former Russian national team player and general manager of Nizhny, which was reproduced in the official site of the team, it’s clear that Nizhny at this point will not let Babbitt return to the NBA. As Panov said: “They made us an offer, which didn’t satisfied us. Now we will negotiate through agents, attorneys and lawyers. I learned some new English words after this incident like “spit in the face” and “**** on your soul”". At this point, if Nizhny and the Russian basketball federation refuse to send the letter of clearance of Babbitt to the States, he will not be able to sign anywhere else until the end of the season according to the FIBA-NBA agreement.
    So dramatic

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    This has to be a joke lol this whole situation isn't nearly that serious....or is it?

If so, then {Mod edit-veiled cursing} just got serious. Lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    In Soviet Russia, proportions blow out you.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    This has to be a joke lol this whole situation isn't nearly that serious....or is it?

If so, then {Mod edit-veiled cursing} just got serious. Lol
    We're talking about perennial All-Star Luke Babbit here. Of course the situation is serious.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Are you the real Luke Babbit!? Making a case for yourself to get out of Russia I see.. To be honest I will be pissed if we sign you not disrespect but you are hot garbadge. If you take 1 minute away from Miller I will not be a season ticket holder next season
    I'm so glad you found some great counter-arguments to my point. Again it's time for this fan-base to watch objectively our players because delusions only lead to frustration.

If you take 1 minute away from Miller I will not be a season ticket holder next season
    Wow, really?

Can anybody explain why we have not taken a look at Joe Ingles but we are on this guys trail?
    I think plenty of teams were after him to come over, but he chose to sign a multi-year deal to stay overseas.

If you take 1 minute away from Miller I will not be a season ticket holder next season
    TBH I don't get the Miller love fest.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    I think the Russians feel it is. Babbit was a key player on a team making a playoff run with no out clause in his contract that just left. From their perspective why would they let him walk for free? I'm sure when they asked Demps what he would do to compensate them for letting Babbit go he said something like "Comrades, this is Luke Babbit we're talking about. I have a like new mascot costume that I can send you, but that's about all I'm willing to give."

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    TBH I don't get the Miller love fest.
    Deciding whether to renew tickets or not over Millers is extreme, but the love fest is because he looks like he can be a competent bench 3 and D guy. We've been needing some of those, now if we could just get a starter caliber version.

Babbitt wouldn't effect Miller anyway. He would only be used as a stretch 4. It would effect guys like Withey or Ajinca, maybe, as AD would play Center more with Babbitt serving as a poor man's Ryno
    @mcnamara247

I understand why we are looking to add bodies. We only have 10 guys active for most games, and with the crazy amount of fouling our bigs do, we need an end of the bench guy for nights when Stiemsma and Ajinca foul everything that moves.

I honestly think this move would be a simulation of sorts. They know that their key lineup for the next few years will include AD at the 5 and Ryno at the 4. They want AD to get comfortable in that role. He can't do that now with these big stiffs clogging up the lane. Babbitt is a poor mans Ryno, but at least they can run some of the same stuff that they will when Ryno returns.

Thread Information