Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: And with the tenth pick.......RANT

I'm glad the Pelicans fan base has taken to enjoying themselves with humor. It's a good place to vent anger. fullcourtpress this is a masterpiece.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Thabeet is 7'3". That is tall BTW

there are no similarities between that and rivers except I can understand how one was fooled into thinking thabeet was good.

Rivers isn't tall, nor can he jump very high. But he is a shooting guard...with no shot? CMON coaches son's are supposed to hit free throws.

I promise you Kendall Marshall is a starting player. One that is putting up numbers that would make Rivers the King of Rex.

Wroten is averaging 13 ppg, 3 reb, 3 asst in like 23 minutes a game. YES, he would probably be considered a starter although he would have to compete.

John Henson would have given us the best young frontcourt in years.

Jarred Sullinger is the wide-bodied low-post presence that AD could fit perfectly with, while using his gurth to keep opposing bigs off the block while AD plays help-side.

Terrance Jones.... would be reason enough to call A.D. the center and be happy doing so.

Harkless, Nicholson, Zeller would all be starters right now.
    Personally I wanted John Henson. I thought he was A.D. 2.

That draft was stacked through the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Rivers isn't tall, nor can he jump very high. But he is a shooting guard...with no shot? CMON coaches son's are supposed to hit free throws.
    I guess a 37" vertical isn't jumping very high.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Austin-Rivers-5743/
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 01-29-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Is it because he doesn't dunk that you find unsatisfactory?

I guess shooting 37% from 3 is having no shot as well.

The fact that this thread is 2 pages long about one of the worst players in the NBA amazes me. I said this last year and I'll say it again. If his name was Austin Jackson, there would be tons of threads about trading him or cutting him. He was a nepotism pick and if he played for another team, y'all would be killing him in this forum. On a positive note, he's gotten better. On a scale of 1 to 50, last year he was a 1. This year he may be a 5. Nothing to write home about. He'll never justify the 10th pick IMO.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    The fact that this thread is 2 pages long about one of the worst players in the NBA amazes me. I said this last year and I'll say it again. If his name was Austin Jackson, there would be tons of threads about trading him or cutting him. He was a nepotism pick and if he played for another team, y'all would be killing him in this forum. On a positive note, he's gotten better. On a scale of 1 to 50, last year he was a 1. This year he may be a 5. Nothing to write home about. He'll never justify the 10th pick IMO.
    In hindsight, he wasn't BPA at 10, but we certainly could have done a lot worse.

Even with the benefit of hindsight, the 3 players the OP specifically mentioned are arguably worse than Rivers to this point (Teague is terrible, Marshall has already spent time out of the league, and Wroten isn't exactly tearing it up either).

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Lol Austin Rivers is far from the worst player or even one of the worst players in the league

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    In hindsight, he wasn't BPA at 10, but we certainly could have done a lot worse.

Even with the benefit of hindsight, the 3 players the OP specifically mentioned are arguably worse than Rivers to this point (Teague is terrible, Marshall has already spent time out of the league, and Wroten isn't exactly tearing it up either).
    Yeah, I can't defend that. My point was basically we're arguing about a guy that shouldn't garner this much attention.

I was on record before the draft not wanting Rivers. I watched him his freshman year at Duke and he seemed a classic volume shooter or, put another way, a classic chucker. His defense looked suspect, especially for a Coach K player and he didn't seem to make anyone around him better. He hit some big shots for Duke, but I didn't like the pick.

But I understood why we might take him. Gordon's injury history was evident and the squad need some guys who could get their own shot, which Rivers seemed well suited to do. He was still young, came from a strong basketball background and had been the most prized recruit in the nation (along with Davis) just a year earlier. In short, he was a prospect, a scorer for a team that struggled to get the ball in the hoop.

When Gordon's injury (surprise!) forced Rivers into a bigger role early in his career, it was apparent the kid wasn't ready. I distinctly recall watching him D up on James Harden and thinking he looked like a junior high kid trying to guard the toughest guy on the playground. He came out too early. He wasn't ready. His jump shot looked funky. He couldn't finish at the rim. He couldn't stand up to the bigger guards in the NBA. In short, bust city.

But a funny thing happened: Austin Rivers started to win me over. His one NBA level skill was apparent: he had good handle. And though he still struggled to finish, he kept taking it in there and getting bounced around like a Piñata. When a former school boy superstar gets hit with a cold dose of reality, there are two things that can happen. He can curl up in a ball and never get over the shock that he isn't the player he thought he was going to be, or he can get to work. Rivers got to work. He's gone from a subpar defender to a guy who can match up well with most one's and twos. He's developed a solid game at the basket and his jumper is much improved. Where he used to make stupid decisions he is now, for the most part, making good decisions, getting the ball to Davis, Gordon and Evans and taking advantage of the opportunities they create. In short, he's become a good complimentary player for the bench. Maybe that's a low return on value for the 10th pick, but the worst pick ever? C'mon now.

I'm actually optimistic about Rivers. I think he'll continue to get stronger and develop physically and he has shown an ability to work on and improve his game. If his jumper continues to improve, especially from midrange, and he pairs that with his already advanced ball handling, he's going to be a solid combo guard in this league for a long time, either with us or somewhere else. He's smart and he works hard and I like his grit and determination. I can see him becoming a good leader as he gets older, a guy you want on your squad. Superstar? Probably not. Primary backup to occasional starter on a contender. Yes, I can see that down the road.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

And with the tenth pick.......RANT

I try to imagine what Austin Rivers would look like playing in the Big Sky (or any NCAA) conference this season and next. Then I smile to myself.
    Last edited by DefensiveMind; 01-29-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Nice response, new city champ! He's a long-term work in progress, but he most definitely is getting better. If he continues to improve at the current rate, I'd expect him to be very solid in a couple of years. Even Monty said he was a long-term project when he was picked. He was scary bad at first, but I think he'll end up pretty good and it will be considered a good pick.

I think Rivers has a certain intangible, a determination to keep working and get better. Whatever potential he has, he will have a good chance to get there. In that regard I'd consider him lower risk than other draft picks.

If he can become an Avery Johnson kind of player, a defensive force that's decent at facilitating an offense, I'd say we got good value from that pick.

In any case, it's his second season guys, give him time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I guess shooting 37% from 3 is having no shot as well.
    How about the fact that he had the worst statistics in NBA rookie season history??

Does that not suffice? How about the fact that Brian Roberts playsw ahead of him and Pierre Jackson apparently believes he would too?

I pull for the kid. He's a pelican. But the pick represents a missed opportunity.

When every shmo, like myself, on a message board cringes once the pick is made and not only had a better choice but a better one that proved correct.

I wanted Henson the most. If not I wanted lamb. T Jones, Leonard or Marshall. And for whoever keeps mentioning Marshal being on his third team, who cares?? The dude is balling. I bet ya he is a starter next year too after playing so well this year

(as seen earlier in the week)

LMAO

How about the fact that he had the worst statistics in NBA rookie season history??

Does that not suffice? How about the fact that Brian Roberts playsw ahead of him and Pierre Jackson apparently believes he would too?

I pull for the kid. He's a pelican. But the pick represents a missed opportunity.

When every shmo, like myself, on a message board cringes once the pick is made and not only had a better choice but a better one that proved correct.

I wanted Henson the most. If not I wanted lamb. T Jones, Leonard or Marshall. And for whoever keeps mentioning Marshal being on his third team, who cares?? The dude is balling. I bet ya he is a starter next year too after playing so well this year
    Stop being so dramatic and watch the games man. What the hell is the point of this retrospective hyperbole. Both are pointless. Rivers isn't as bad as you're making him out to be. Talk about this in 4-6 years when these guys actually mature.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    im at work but when i get home i will explain why thuis is one of the worst thread's i have ever read.
    Lol it is. Purely based on hindsight
    SIGN A SF

This is a learning season.

LMAO

U say who cares to whoever mentions that Marshall is on his 3rd team, was sent to the d league, and not to mention wasn't even good enough in his 1st year to even play enough to put up worse numbers than rivers in his rookie year. Yet u wanna hang your hat on rivers rookie season last year. Yea makes sense. It might would make a lick of sense if rivers was still as bad as last year and didn't progress but he did. So, to rivers horrible rookie season? Who cares cause the #1 pick last year Anthony Bennett is having a worse year than rivers. Also, you can't judge a pick for at least 4-5 years.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 01-29-2014 at 10:05 PM.

I'd rather have taken Rivers at the 10 than have the 1st in last year's and taken Bennett. Heck, I'd rather have Rivers than Noel. . .i think he's going to be a HUGE bust.

And the Wizards shouldn't have drafted Kwame Brown...

what a stupid bloody discussion

in the end though what can we do anyway? weve picked austin rivers, deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I was on record before the draft not wanting Rivers. I watched him his freshman year at Duke and he seemed a classic volume shooter or, put another way, a classic chucker. His defense looked suspect, especially for a Coach K player and he didn't seem to make anyone around him better. He hit some big shots for Duke, but I didn't like the pick.

But I understood why we might take him. Gordon's injury history was evident and the squad need some guys who could get their own shot, which Rivers seemed well suited to do. He was still young, came from a strong basketball background and had been the most prized recruit in the nation (along with Davis) just a year earlier. In short, he was a prospect, a scorer for a team that struggled to get the ball in the hoop.

When Gordon's injury (surprise!) forced Rivers into a bigger role early in his career, it was apparent the kid wasn't ready. I distinctly recall watching him D up on James Harden and thinking he looked like a junior high kid trying to guard the toughest guy on the playground. He came out too early. He wasn't ready. His jump shot looked funky. He couldn't finish at the rim. He couldn't stand up to the bigger guards in the NBA. In short, bust city.

But a funny thing happened: Austin Rivers started to win me over. His one NBA level skill was apparent: he had good handle. And though he still struggled to finish, he kept taking it in there and getting bounced around like a Piñata. When a former school boy superstar gets hit with a cold dose of reality, there are two things that can happen. He can curl up in a ball and never get over the shock that he isn't the player he thought he was going to be, or he can get to work. Rivers got to work. He's gone from a subpar defender to a guy who can match up well with most one's and twos. He's developed a solid game at the basket and his jumper is much improved. Where he used to make stupid decisions he is now, for the most part, making good decisions, getting the ball to Davis, Gordon and Evans and taking advantage of the opportunities they create. In short, he's become a good complimentary player for the bench. Maybe that's a low return on value for the 10th pick, but the worst pick ever? C'mon now.

I'm actually optimistic about Rivers. I think he'll continue to get stronger and develop physically and he has shown an ability to work on and improve his game. If his jumper continues to improve, especially from midrange, and he pairs that with his already advanced ball handling, he's going to be a solid combo guard in this league for a long time, either with us or somewhere else. He's smart and he works hard and I like his grit and determination. I can see him becoming a good leader as he gets older, a guy you want on your squad. Superstar? Probably not. Primary backup to occasional starter on a contender. Yes, I can see that down the road.
    Good post, I felt/feel the same way. He has turned into a solid backup, and he plays within himself enough that he wouldn't even hurt the starting 5. If he becomes a more consistent finisher and mid-range shooter he is gonna be really good
    Last edited by speedyG; 01-29-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Perry Jones just hit a three. Another 2012 better thsn Rivers. BTW Rivers looked great tonight. Its not bad to have rivers, its bad to not have a piece in place in a loaded draft

Rivers probably should have stayed another year at Duke. He slowly learning and getting better. Could sending Austin down to D-league for a couple of games really hurt? Nope. Rivers will be a good bench player.

Thread Information