Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Gamethread: Pelicans at Pistons

Refs missed the foul on EJ's game-winner.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    You don't think he's good enough to win games on his own yet. Then that's fine. Then we won't win many games and there's nothing to worry about. T-word, to me, means intentionally losing. Or at least it needs to mean that, otherwise you're just calling not being very good a different name to make yourself feel better about it. I'm not in favor of either option regardless.

If AD's best play right now doesn't win games, then so be it. I can accept that. But if it does? Then that's a more favorable outcome for me. I'd much rather AD grow into a dominant player who can lead this team down the stretch in games sooner than later.

Learning to win doesn't mean he can never lose. Failures are a part of eventual success. But I'd rather he actually win us games than not. See what I'm getting at?

This is my main point:

I'd rather AD close the rest of the season out playing closer and closer to the high level I believe is his ultimate destiny. A level that by its very nature would put us in position to win more games than we lose. Making key blocks, key rebounds, key shots, key rotations, ball deflections, running the floor and hustling. He can do it all.

To lighten the mood, the caveman explanation:

Davis play good and we win game. Me like.

Davis play good and we lose game. Me like less, but still like.

Davis play bad and we lose. Me no care.

Davis play bad and we win. Me no care.

AMAZING WIN! I love being in the opposing team's arena when we win. Especially last second. Everyone was all "AWWWW... UGH." hahaha

My keys from the game:

1. Davis needs to at least touch the ball more
    2. If Withey and Davis are not starting and playing 30+ minutes a night together, Monty is a stubborn flop of a coach.
    3. Stiemsma needs to be cut. He even sucks in warmups
    4. Morrow got his groove back with Tyreke being "sick"
    5. For some reason (this was odd to me), Ryan Anderson traveled with the team, but Jason, Jrue, and Tyreke didn't. Found that very strange since Ryan said in an interview the doctors don't want him traveling as much.
    6. Gordon and his turnovers..... Even the Detroit fans were mocking how much money he makes.
    7. The Palace has such a good vibe. It was truly a party in there. (WAY above the atmosphere in NOLA arena, in my opinion)

The best part: Ran into one other Pelicans fan there as I was leaving. It may be the Saints chant, but when we YELLED WHO DAT, it got everyone's attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You don't think he's good enough to win games on his own yet. Then that's fine. Then we won't win many games and there's nothing to worry about. T-word, to me, means intentionally losing. Or at least it needs to mean that, otherwise you're just calling not being very good a different name to make yourself feel better about it. I'm not in favor of either option regardless.

If AD's best play right now doesn't win games, then so be it. I can accept that. But if it does? Then that's a more favorable outcome for me. I'd much rather AD grow into a dominant player who can lead this team down the stretch in games sooner than later.

Learning to win doesn't mean he can never lose. Failures are a part of eventual success. But I'd rather he actually win us games than not. See what I'm getting at?

This is my main point:

I'd rather AD close the rest of the season out playing closer and closer to the high level I believe is his ultimate destiny. A level that by its very nature would put us in position to win more games than we lose. Making key blocks, key rebounds, key shots, key rotations, ball deflections, running the floor and hustling. He can do it all.

To lighten the mood, the caveman explanation:

Davis play good and we win game. Me like.

Davis play good and we lose game. Me like less, but still like.

Davis play bad and we lose. Me no care.

Davis play bad and we win. Me no care.

No, I don't mean intentionally losing. Intentionally losing is horrible and almost unspeakable and I don't think it actually happens.

Literally intentionally losing? It's not an actual thing. Surely you understood that by "tanking" I mean "advocating and delighting in losses". No wonder you are so adverse to my position. I certainly do NOT advocate intentionally losing! That's a horrible position and not mine at all.

My position is merely that I'm pleased with losses. Yours is that you are indifferent. We really aren't so different. I just take more pleasure in losing and see the benefits, while you see certain benefits in winning this year.

When people say "tank", they mean, "We are cheering for losses in the same sense that one usually cheers for wins." At least that's the impression I get and that's how I use it. Anyone who advocates for the literal intentional loss (telling a player to miss clutch free throws or something) is really far afield from my position.

And yes, I do see this team as "not very good", but that's due to injuries. A fully healthy team next year with a top five pick is incredibly exciting. That's why I cheer for losses and against anomalous wins.
    Last edited by Coughka; 01-24-2014 at 10:49 PM.

11 of our next 15 games is against under 500 team we have a chance to turn our season around

some people refer to tanking as intentionally losing..but we are smarter than that and SHOULD know that the players and coaching staff of any NBA teams never intentionally lose for the sake of increasing lotto odds; it is just that some teams aren't going all out from an organizational standpoint at the highest levels within the organization

but the word "tanking" imo is really just a word for the fanbase to use...imo it means that the fanbase is rooting for their team to lose instead of the team actually trying to lose

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    AMAZING WIN! I love being in the opposing team's arena when we win. Especially last second. Everyone was all "AWWWW... UGH." hahaha

My keys from the game:

2. If Withey and Davis are not starting and playing 30+ minutes a night together, Monty is a stubborn flop of a coach.
    5. For some reason (this was odd to me), Ryan Anderson traveled with the team, but Jason, Jrue, and Tyreke didn't. Found that very strange since Ryan said in an interview the doctors don't want him traveling as much.
    6. Gordon and his turnovers..... Even the Detroit fans were mocking how much money he makes.
    7. The Palace has such a good vibe. It was truly a party in there. (WAY above the atmosphere in NOLA arena, in my opinion)

The best part: Ran into one other Pelicans fan there as I was leaving. It may be the Saints chant, but when we YELLED WHO DAT, it got everyone's attention!
    I think Jason Smith is getting his surgery soon and Tyreke traveled with the team but must be too sick to get out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    some people refer to tanking as intentionally losing..but we are smarter than that and SHOULD know that the players and coaching staff of any NBA teams never intentionally lose for the sake of increasing lotto odds; it is just that some teams aren't going all out from an organizational standpoint at the highest levels within the organization

but the word "tanking" imo is really just a word for the fanbase to use...imo it means that the fanbase is rooting for their team to lose instead of the team actually trying to lose
    Exactly.

Seeing the current state of the team, I merely am in favor of being pleased with losses and cheering against anomalous wins (and cheering for anomalous losses as well).

I certainly would never advocate the deliberate effort of trying to lose a game. THAT to me is an insane position.

Quote Originally Posted by kth225 View Post
    11 of our next 15 games is against under 500 team we have a chance to turn our season around
    Let's not get carried away with a good 8 minutes of basketball in the 4th. We played like the worst team in the league for the 3rd quarter. That alone will prevent us from winning many games down the stretch.

Can someone tell my why we don't have a 1st rd pick next year? Meaning 2015

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Can someone tell my why we don't have a 1st rd pick next year? Meaning 2015
    Never mind I misunderstood someone else saying this. We have it we just can't trade it.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Never mind I misunderstood someone else saying this. We have it we just can't trade it.
    Correct. If Philly gets our pick this year, we have a pick next year. Here's to hoping the 2015 first round pick is in the 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post

My keys from the game:

Dude... why is it that EG turns the ball over so much? I mean... if he turns the ball over by making a bad pass or trying to make a play, then OK... you can't be TOO mad at him, but this dude turns the ball over as if he's trying to give the ball to the opposition. Just hands it to them willingly.

How did Rivers play tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Dude... why is it that EG turns the ball over so much? I mean... if he turns the ball over by making a bad pass or trying to make a play, then OK... you can't be TOO mad at him, but this dude turns the ball over as if he's trying to give the ball to the opposition. Just hands it to them willingly.
    he has had a couple games with a lot of turnovers..but in actuality, it hasn't been too big of a problem for him

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    How did Rivers play tonight?
    15pts 3ast in under 30 min he basically shot 50% but did 3 half court heaves at the end of the clock

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    15pts 3ast in under 30 min he basically shot 50% but did 3 half court heaves at the end of the clock
    Gooooood

Would LOVE to see more Withey/AD. Frenchy is doing good too... seems like he's settling in. But Withey and AD compliment each other well.

Awesome win, you always had that feeling that they were going to make a run even when they were down by 10 in the fourth. Joel kept reminding the fans about the Pistons' ugly home record and terrible loss to the Bucks. He BELIEVED!

Detroit really sucks man, I feel bad for those fans. Low IQ players, no spacing, guys who are on big contracts that are a terrible fit with the rest of the team. Signing Jennings and Smith was the dumbest move ever with KCP, Monroe and Drummond on the team. They almost all the time end up losing a close game because late in the game it comes down to defense and they don't have the weapons to execute and break down a defense. They were lucky that Drummond cleaned up some misses otherwise the Pels had the game in the bucket way before the Gordon gamewinner.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kth225 View Post
    11 of 15 are under .500, that sounds good. Hope they get some people back, to help.

Thread Information