Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Avery Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...or-hire/page/7

This ___|

I wouldn't mind P.J. Carlesimo either if we're speculating.
    They funniest thing about the article is "will the defensive minded coach have trouble on the offensive end?" he horrible on both

Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    He has a good record, not sure why everyone here hates him
    Because last time the coaching job was open his biggest supporters trot out him being a local as his #1 qualification. Not "He's a great coach because of X, Y and Z" but "he's local and he'll sell tickets". Then he went on to coach the Nets who are in Win Now mode and he had a 34% winning percentage. Color me unimpressed. I'd rather stick with Monty if that's the choice because at least we know AD is developing well with Monty as coach.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I'd have to say I'd be pretty disappointed if we got Avery. He has a winning record as a coach but I he has made a lot of dumb decisions that has people going what? I'll never forget that game he had Kidd on bench in the final play of a 1 possession game.

I've said it before but if we hired Avery Johnson I'd probably lose all interest in this organization.

Such a hire would show me some severe and deep seeded incompetence at the highest level of this organization that we would hand the team over to such a dismal talent.

And it would signal to me that this organization doesn't have the competence to ever deliver a championship for this city and my support for this team would just be a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujo_Daggs View Post
    With the opportunity to coach AD and a pass-first PG with loads of upside? Anyone with sense.
    Who's the pass-first PG?

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I prefer the guy who was 2006 NBA Coach of the Year, who has played in the NBA and won an NBA title in 1999, who has a nice winning record of 254-186 as an NBA coach, who has playoff experience and took the Mavericks to the Finals, who would automatically have the respect of NBA players and who is from New Orleans.
    I'm not too far from this line of thinking. I think Johnson's flaws are being exaggerated. He's not in my top 3, but I wouldn't be running to the panic button if he was hired. We have seen many coaches struggle somewhere and shine in other places. He may not be coach Pop, but I certainly don't think he's Bryon Scott or Vinny Del Nergo either. He kind of Monty with more experience IMO. Of course if we can get some great established coach, or a brilliant young college coach/assistant I'd prefer that.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 01-23-2014 at 03:49 PM.

id be very happy with stan van gundy, hes a good coach.

Lionell Collins or Shaka Smart for me.

The Game Thread Starter j_bones's Avatar
    1. George Karl
    2. John Calipari

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Why do I see so many coaches on this discussion thread who have a severe aversion to inexperienced players. Hello, McFly? Have you seen our roster? Lionel Hollins and Avery Johnson should never come up in a educated discussion about this team. Think young up and coming or super nerdy geeky x and o guys. No old school retreads.

ETA:

My List
    George Karl
    Jeff Van Gundy
    Kaleb Canales
    Shaka Smart
    Frank Haith
    Sean Miller
    Last edited by DefensiveMind; 01-23-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Why do I see so many coaches on this discussion thread who have a severe aversion to inexperienced players. Hello, McFly? Have you seen our roster? Lionel Hollins and Avery Johnson should never come up in a educated discussion about this team. Think young up and coming or super nerdy geeky x and o guys. No old school retreads.
    ...so, someone like Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'm not too far from this line of thinking. I think Johnson's flaws are being exaggerated. He's not in my top 3, but I wouldn't be running to the panic button if he was hired. We have seen many coaches struggle somewhere and shine in other places. He may not be coach Pop, but I certainly don't think he's Bryon Scott or Vinny Del Nergo either. He kind of Monty with more experience IMO. Of course if we can get some great established coach, or a brilliant young college coach/assistant I'd prefer that.
    He may get a slightly over exaggerated rap but in no way is he an elite talent.

At best he's above average as a coach.

But above average doesn't win you titles and he isn't known as a great coach for young teams and has struggled to keep the respect of the locker room more then once.

I see zero positive to bringing him in except as a last resort. I'd rather take a flyer on a untested coach and/or go through the laundry list of more proven guys then settle on Avery.

Gregg Marshall, Frank Hoiberg, Billy Donovan?

We went the young coach route and it failed we shouldn't make that gamble twice my 31 CHOICE IS SVG

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    We went the young coach route and it failed we shouldn't make that gamble twice my 31 CHOICE IS SVG
    It's not simply about getting ANY young coach. Based on what you seen from Monty replace any young coach with him and tell me if you think he could replicate that teams current success? Atlanta, Phoenix, VCU, Arizona, Portland, Florida?? No way Monty could replicate what we've seen from those coaches. He could maybe, maybe do what Steve Clifford and Brad Stevens has done with Boston and Charlotte. Monty needs to be with a team full of head cases, malcontents, or veterans. He'd be perfect for the Knicks, IMO.

And back on topic, Avery Johnson is a joke. He' has a pristine W-L because he was hand picked by the coaching legend that is Don Nelson to lead a ready made championship squad. His team coasted for 2 years and then when he actually had to do something his 67 win team got THOROUGHLY out played (he out coached) by a team led by Stephen Jackson and Baron Davis. Think about that. I'm not even gonna mention his tenure in BKN. Avery Johnson is right where he should be in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I prefer the guy who was 2006 NBA Coach of the Year, who has played in the NBA and won an NBA title in 1999, who has a nice winning record of 254-186 as an NBA coach, who has playoff experience and took the Mavericks to the Finals, who would automatically have the respect of NBA players and who is from New Orleans.
    bingo...don't start bringing good, rational thought to this forum. Who do you think you are?
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

What's funny to me is the rationale that Avery's accomplishments don't matter despite the sum of his results but the big argument against Monty is the sum of his results. It's like Avery having a good team is something you can discount when it comes to his team but Monty's share of injuries, young guys and lack of talent aren't something you can discount for him.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    What's funny to me is the rationale that Avery's accomplishments don't matter despite the sum of his results but the big argument against Monty is the sum of his results. It's like Avery having a good team is something you can discount when it comes to his team but Monty's share of injuries, young guys and lack of talent aren't something you can discount for him.
    Monty is a bad fit because he has no agenda. Doesn't matter what his talent level is. If there is no overarching philosophy then no team can prosper. Avery is bad fit because his agenda sucks, as evidenced by his massive failure with a nearly flawless roster. Pretty simple.

I feel the NBA has the same problem as the NFL. There just is not enough good pro coaches. So I feel the same as a lot of other guys saying if we drop Monty I would much rather give a college coach a shot before a proven failed NBA coach. Fred Hoiberg would be great but he is exactly where he wants to be right now so would be hard to pry him from Ames. Shaka Smart is my top choice and also feel he would jump to the NBA ala Brad Stevens. Calipari wouldn't come to NO he is probably NY or NJ or bust. But this is all good conversation because I think we can all agree Monty's time here is running short.

I heard Doug Collins say on one of the NBA broadcasts that the NBA has become a win now league. I guess he knows through his own experience. Look at the turnover ratio in the NHL. You can win the Stanley Cup one year and the next year be fired as coach.

Who's the pass-first PG?
    If you don't see that Jrue is pass-first, Idk what games you watch.

A guy name Pete Carroll coached before and was horrible now he got Seattle to the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    He may get a slightly over exaggerated rap but in no way is he an elite talent.

At best he's above average as a coach.

But above average doesn't win you titles and he isn't known as a great coach for young teams and has struggled to keep the respect of the locker room more then once.

I see zero positive to bringing him in except as a last resort. I'd rather take a flyer on a untested coach and/or go through the laundry list of more proven guys then settle on Avery.
    I'm not taking exception to those that are against Johnson. However what often times take places on this board is a bunch of overreactions and selective criticism for those players, coaches, refs, announcers, etc. the collective seem to dislike.

I'm not saying having a good win lost record or reaching the Finals(hell to a certain degree winning the Finals) makes you a good coach however it is apart of that coaches resume and can't just be dismissed. I think Bryon Scott is the prime example of a coach that had not one, but two Finals appearance and was/is a terrible NBA coach.

I see two names that have become common and they two have some aspect on their coaching record that concerns me that aren't discussed much here. Stan Van Gundy in the Finals inserted Jameer Nelson in to the starting line up of Rafer Alston when Nelson wasn't ready physically and it completely ruined any chance they had of winning. Then there's George Karl who has never made it out of the 1st round.

This isn't a ballot for Avery. Just a ploy for less selective criticism. Johnson could just as easily be as terrible as most are saying, but there's a chance he could make this team better. Either way we should be trying to up grade our team doctors and/or trainers more than our coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujo_Daggs View Post
    If you don't see that Jrue is pass-first, Idk what games you watch.
    Holiday is not a pass-first PG. He's a solid passers, but that isn't his strength. He's in a system that is point guard friendly and when the team is healthy he has a handful of players that can give him easy reads. However I think Jrue's biggest flaw as a player is his limited court vision. Saying Jrue Holiday is a pass-first PG is like saying Brandon Jennings is a pass-first PG. This isn't an insult to Jrue like I said he's a capable passer on top of his other skills that make him beneficial to this team. I just strongly disagree with the idea that he's a pass-first PG.

Holiday is not a pass-first PG. He's a solid passers, but that isn't his strength. He's in a system that is point guard friendly and when the team is healthy he has a handful of players that can give him easy reads. However I think Jrue's biggest flaw as a player is his limited court vision. Saying Jrue Holiday is a pass-first PG is like saying Brandon Jennings is a pass-first PG. This isn't an insult to Jrue like I said he's a capable passer on top of his other skills that make him beneficial to this team. I just strongly disagree with the idea that he's a pass-first PG.
    You just compared his passing or lack their of to Brandon Jennings, yes I'd say that is an insult to Jrue.

Thread Information