Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: So Let's Say We DO Keep Our Pick

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Either has 2013, 2015, etc. I get that. But that is my prediction after watching these guys closely this year. My jaw dropped when I saw AD in college. Beal was pure as can be. Drummond, an athletic freak, etc.

I look at this class, and I think Parker will be better than Barnes, but no more than a fringe All-Star. I think Wiggins falls somewhere between Jason Richardson and T-Mac. And I think Embiid is the only one who has a chance to be an all-time great. But its a small chance.

The guys projected to go between 6 and 14 are solid starters at best, likely role players in my eyes. I like a few, but no more than I liked a guy like John Henson coming out of college.

It will be a solid draft, but 2012 will go down as the best one since Lebron's IMO.
    We mostly grade drafts by the guys at the top. That's why it's called the Lebron draft. So if AD reaches his full potential, it would probably be a tough draft to beat. But that draft also has lottery guys like Rivers, Waiters, Beal, Robinson, MKG, Leonard, Ross, Lamb and Marshall who haven't come close to living up to their best case scenarios. I think this 2014 draft will have just as many players that live up to who we think they are as the 2012 draft, which frankly hasn't been awesome beyond Davis and Lillard. Wiggins, Parker, Exum, and Embid, in my humble opinion have the potential to make this draft a draft we remember because they're great.

Draft depth is always overrated.

In 20 years, it won't be close. Class of 2012 >>>>>>>> Class of 2014.

The hype was such a joke.

That said, of course I want to keep the pick if possible. Always nice to have an extra asset.
    starting to think ur right, outside of the top 3, the 2012 class was insane, davis, drummond, lillard, beal, sick

Quote Originally Posted by Smow- View Post
    But but....Michael-Carter Williams is the next GOAT \sarcasm
    Mcw 17 ppg 7apg 6rpg 2.5spg 3topg
    D.wade 16, 4.5, 4rpg 1.4 3
    D.rose 17, 6, 3.9, 0.8, 2.5
    A.hardaway 16, 6, 5, 2.2, 3.6
    T. Hardaway 14.7, 8.7, 3.9, 2, 3
    C.paul 16, 8, 5, 2, 2.3
    J.kidd 12, 8, 5.4, 2, 3.2
    A. Iverson 23.5, 7.5, 4, 2, 4.4
    D. Stoudemire 19, 9, 4, 1.4, 4
    S.marbury 16, 8, 2.7, 1, 3
    T.evans 20, 6, 5, 1.5, 3
    Here is McW season stacked up against the 10 best rookie seasons by a pg in the last 20 years with hofers on the list. So, you were saying? Also I'm not claiming he's gonna be a hofer but he can only do so much at 1 time. He's certainly on the right path so far. If mcw can get his point total up to 20 ppg by end of year then he's on his way to 1 of the greatest seasons ever by an nba player (rookie) Not by a pg but by any player ever. Only Michael Jordan, lebron James, Oscar Robertson, and Tyreke Evans have ever posted a 20 5 5 rookie season. Of course he has to sustain it thru his career to get there but he's def starting out the right way. So your sarcasm holds no water is what I'm pretty much saying. Cause I'm about 99.9% sure nobody ever said he was next GOAT.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 01-18-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    starting to think ur right, outside of the top 3, the 2012 class was insane, davis, drummond, lillard, beal, sick
    Yea the 2012 draft will go down as 1 of the best ever for sure. Very deep. Lamb and pj3 I think will still be pretty good in the future. They have a very good place for them to grow and play with durant. Pretty cool for them.

Either has 2013, 2015, etc. I get that. But that is my prediction after watching these guys closely this year. My jaw dropped when I saw AD in college. Beal was pure as can be. Drummond, an athletic freak, etc.

I look at this class, and I think Parker will be better than Barnes, but no more than a fringe All-Star. I think Wiggins falls somewhere between Jason Richardson and T-Mac. And I think Embiid is the only one who has a chance to be an all-time great. But its a small chance.

The guys projected to go between 6 and 14 are solid starters at best, likely role players in my eyes. I like a few, but no more than I liked a guy like John Henson coming out of college.

It will be a solid draft, but 2012 will go down as the best one since Lebron's IMO.
    Just curious. What kind of value could we get in return for holiday? I'm not claiming we should or will trade him. Just was discussing this on another thread when talking about exum. Cause I said if they think exum can be our starting pg and I def think he could btw and he's the bpa sitting at #5. Of course if we don't trade back. To draft him and be able to trade holiday. Would give us our starting pg on a rookie salary. So essentially we are saving money every year to spend on another position. Also acquiring said assets you think would come from a guy like holiday. Very interested to hear your opinion on this. Which I respect btw. I'm putting the call out on this kid like I did mcw well before the draft. He's gonna be a pretty special type of pg. IMO. That length and quickness you just can't teach. It's a weapon!!!
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 01-18-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Yea the 2012 draft will go down as 1 of the best ever for sure. Very deep. Lamb and pj3 I think will still be pretty good in the future. They have a very good place for them to grow and play with durant. Pretty cool for them.
    Crazy thing is we got the best player from it

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Crazy thing is we got the best player from it
    Absolutely. Man he is the franchise savior!!!! Love that kid. Gets me all giddy watching him every time. I love that he is starting to be vocal about getting his respect from the refs too!!! That is HUGE!!! I can't express it enough man. It's HUGE!!!! We need someone to do it. It might not pay off right there on that specific call. It does pay off later on and in the future tho. Trust that.

The Pelicans caught a break finally. Playing in the West is beneficial to teams trying to tank. Should have no problem being last in the West and shouldn't have a problem finishing with 3rd worst record. Can still catch Orlando for 2nd worst. And the Pelicans don't have to try to lose to lose either, it will happen whether they go all out or not.

Orlando isn't really trying either. My friend say they've been resting Afflalo and Vucevic with some very minor injuries and playing Dipo at the one just to help his game w versatility.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    I take Randle and consider myself lucky.
    Wherehappens.

I would really like to trade down & draft Rodney Hood to be a 3 & D player

Sorry if it has been mentioned (I'll read the entire thread when I'm more sober) but does OKC hang up if we offer Jrue/EG/#1-3 for Westbrook/Perkins? I love Jrue, but Westbrook/Reke/????/Ryno/AD would be an amazing core, with Perkins playing 20 physical mpg the first season before expiring and freeing up some cash (or being dealt eventually for an adequate long term guy). That seems like too many scorers for one ball, but Westbrook is a very good defender, as is AD. Using the MLE on a D+3 SF = golden.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Just stop it with that nonsense

So all this wonderful play has my mind on the draft. I know we've discussed what happens if we land a # 4 pick. Well what about the 2-3? If when we pick Randle, Wiggins and Parker are on the board w Embiid off the board. Who do you pick? I personally would be upset if we got a pick that high and missed out on Embiid just because of the help we need next to Davis. But moving forward a choice has to be made. I go with Wiggins w the hopes he becomes that Super Star everyone thought he would be 2 months ago. He is a project as far as his offensive game but boy is he a specimen and when he fills out and develops his outside game more watch out.

I don't think that would help at all if Monty is still the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by hesterhu View Post
    I don't think that would help at all if Monty is still the coach.
    If we end up w a top 5 pick Monty is fired so let's move on from that Monty is a terrible coach... agreed? No Monty in this fantasy world we live in...discuss
    Last edited by brentmd2; 01-19-2014 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brentmd2 View Post
    If we end up w a top 5 pick Monty is fired so let's move on from that Monty is a terrible coach... agreed? No Monty in this fantasy world we live in...discuss
    No Monty?!?!!? Where is this fantasy world that you speak of? I want to live there.

It would be a wonderful world without Monty. His leaving = 2 good drafts since he is wasting Austin Rivers and Jeff Withey (I think he derserves a better draft position).He is also wasting Morrow.
    I don't really want to think about draft thing. And I really think we have a lot talents and we are "building the team around Davis". Just get rid of Roberts and Stiemsma. If Gordon and/or Evans leaves, maybe get Exum so we can have 3 "combo guard". I personally like to see that happen. Or maybe Wiggins, I think he would be good with AD (but I really like Aminu, so maybe ).

Maybe just Rivers/Davis/Holiday/Aminu/Smith/Ryno/Withey/Morrow with whoever else we can have except for Roberts and Stiemsma.

Quote Originally Posted by hesterhu View Post
    It would be a wonderful world without Monty. His leaving = 2 good drafts since he is wasting Austin Rivers and Jeff Withey (I think he derserves a better draft position).He is also wasting Morrow.
    I don't really want to think about draft thing. And I really think we have a lot talents and we are "building the team around Davis". Just get rid of Roberts and Stiemsma. If Gordon and/or Evans leaves, maybe get Exum so we can have 3 "combo guard". I personally like to see that happen. Or maybe Wiggins, I think he would be good with AD (but I really like Aminu, so maybe ).

Maybe just Rivers/Davis/Holiday/Aminu/Smith/Ryno/Withey/Morrow with whoever else we can have except for Roberts and Stiemsma.
    Just so I'm making sure I get you, you're not advocating keeping aminu over Wiggins are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Just so I'm making sure I get you, you're not advocating keeping aminu over Wiggins are you?
    No. Just I like to see the non-expression-faced Aminu even he is on the bench... Wiggins is a good fit but I want to see Aminu in the team

Quote Originally Posted by kth225 View Post
    Parker please
    I wonder if Parker's lack of defensive prowess is due to ability or desire, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    I wonder if Parker's lack of defensive prowess is due to ability or desire, or both.
    Not that I wouldn't take Parker with a smile on my face if we get him but he reminds me of Melo. A me me me player who doesn't believe it's his responsibility to work on the defensive side because of his contributions on Offense.

I'm beginning to think that unless you need a PG which there is a few Elite type PG in this draft that past Embiid and Wiggins there is no Championship leading players. I think Parker and Randle get u buckets but I'm concerned about Parker's D and putting on too much weight over time and Randles lack of size to push around bigs like he does. Unless I trade Jrue and get Smart or Exum which I wouldn't and couldn't get either of the Kansas duo I would trade out of the top of the draft for multiple picks/assets.

I'm beginning to think that unless you need a PG which there is a few Elite type PG in this draft that past Embiid and Wiggins there is no Championship leading players. I think Parker and Randle get u buckets but I'm concerned about Parker's D and putting on too much weight over time and Randles lack of size to push around bigs like he does. Unless I trade Jrue and get Smart or Exum which I wouldn't and couldn't get either of the Kansas duo I would trade out of the top of the draft for multiple picks/assets.
    Smart= Jrue

Thread Information