Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Pierre Jackson & Pelicans Reps set to meet this week

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    If he works out in the league you have a trade chip that you can move with EG, develop, maybe turn into a player. He's an unknown commodity at this point. He tore up Baylor, he's tearing up the D League, that's not that much different. NBA execs passed out of college, and probably still aren't that crazy about him now; but say he comes in and is a young poor man's Nate Robinson? Then you have he and EG who could really help a team and may be a more attractive piece to put in than Aminu. But when all else fails, I think the main reason is Brian Roberts plays significant minutes for this team, that is a problem IMO.
    exactly... we'd be lucky to get anything of real value if he never plays in the league first. worst case he comes up & fails? whatever, doubt his value was higher than a 2nd rounder if that. if he does well? then he's a real trade chip or can maybe compete for backup PG. point is, the reward of bringing him up far outweighs the risk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    exactly... we'd be lucky to get anything of real value if he never plays in the league first. worst case he comes up & fails? whatever, doubt his value was higher than a 2nd rounder if that. if he does well? then he's a real trade chip or can maybe compete for backup PG. point is, the reward of bringing him up far outweighs the risk
    Ding, Ding! Killing in the D League is the same as in college and obviously execs weren't that high on him out of college or he would've been taken earlier. Let him play and if he can play then we have something to build on or move, if not they yeah go to the D League and develop how we tell you to because you aren't ready. You think Shabazz would go to the D League with no complaint if he wasn't given a shot to play first? No way.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I've been screaming for Jackson to be called up for a while now but understood when most people took the stance of 'we are crazy loaded in the backcourt, no room'. Now more than ever, if we don't call Pierre up, we never will and we need to trade him.

Who has the say in calling up these guys? I know obviously both parties would talk and come up with some form of agreement, but what if Dell wants to call this guy up and Monty doesn't, does he have the final say? That may very well be what is happening. Or vice versa.

Ding, Ding! Killing in the D League is the same as in college and obviously execs weren't that high on him out of college or he would've been taken earlier. Let him play and if he can play then we have something to build on or move, if not they yeah go to the D League and develop how we tell you to because you aren't ready. You think Shabazz would go to the D League with no complaint if he wasn't given a shot to play first? No way.
    Shabazz was picked in the top 15 iirc, jackson way into the second round, their status is like a second rounder vs a sixth-seventh rounder in the nfl. Not precisely the same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Shabazz was picked in the top 15 iirc, jackson way into the second round, their status is like a second rounder vs a sixth-seventh rounder in the nfl. Not precisely the same.
    42nd pick. Ok, then find me a player who is ballin' in the D League and has poo starting in front of him and hasn't gotten a chance to play at all in the league...I'll wait.

42nd pick. Ok, then find me a player who is ballin' in the D League and has poo starting in front of him and hasn't gotten a chance to play at all in the league...I'll wait.
    He's been in the D-League for like 2 months man. 19 games. It's not like he's been stuck there for years. The guy totally walked out on a team in France because things were not going his way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    He's been in the D-League for like 2 months man. 19 games. It's not like he's been stuck there for years. The guy totally walked out on a team in France because things were not going his way.
    19 games averaging 29.9 ppg!! He has Brian Roberts playing ahead of him. He has Austin Rivers playing ahead of him. And people want him to "just play ball" in the D League and not fight for a shot to play? I'm lost as to why anyone would want a player like that. As for the France thing, let's not forget he's a 20 year old kid in a foreign country. I have plenty of friends who have played oversees and player mistreatment and those types of difficulties are not uncommon. Players get criticized all the time for not going hard enough or what-have-you and this kid wants and knows he can play and is fighting because he wants a shot and people don't like it? That's pretty funny to me. There is one reason why anyone wouldn't like this is and that is holding the Pelicans as an organization up on a pedestal ("how dare he question our team that holds his rights!," etc.). Anyone, down to a man, would do and want the same things in his position.

Kid was drafted because some team wanted his rights, he is getting paid 10% of the minimum he should be making and he has scrubs playing in front of him...and people want a guy who just say "oh well I'm in the D League, so be it." Not me, kid thinks he can play and causes a fuss to play, let him. He isn't putting Chris Paul or Holiday on the bench, he's putting Brian Roberts on the bench. In all fairness, Rivers should be in the D League right now, not Jackson. Learn a left hand and a pull-up jumper. It's crazy how people are down on Pierre because he wants to play and knows (in his mind) he's better. Give me that guy all day long.
    Last edited by saintsinNO; 01-13-2014 at 04:11 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I think he walked out on France because he realized he made a mistake and that the dleague was probably the quickest option to get to the NBA. Also when the Euro teams throw money in your face as a 2nd rounder it is kind of hard to turn that down.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Wait. I thought he got homesick.

Meh. Either way. Hope we resolve this soon. Don't need complications. Call 'em up or move him. I don't like things being dragged out heedlessly.

As bad as we've been playing, I don't really have a problem trying him out.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    SaintsinNO - you keep saying he has Brian Roberts and Austin Rivers playing in front of him.... but if I remember correctly, I haven't seen him come sit on the bench waiting to be called up. You think just because he gets called up means he's gunna start over Roberts and Rivers? Either way, going on past tendencies, Monty won't give him much PT barring an injury anyway.

Hell, I want to play in the NFL. I WANT IT and I know (in my mind) I'm probably just as good as some of those practice squad guys... they are getting paid more than me when I'm playing flag football for free. I deserve a shot!

People are talking about him working for peanuts. What was he going to make in Europe? If he was going to pull in 100-200k to ball for a season over there but turned it down to make 20-30k then that's on him.

If we told him from the beginning that we were going to let him play for a year over there and then bring him over for the 14-15 season then I don't see what the issue is. We told him go find a trade, if he has as much value as he thinks then he should be able to find something. We are meeting with him, but dude can only act like this for so long.

He declared for the draft. He knew what that meant. If he wants to be in complete control he could have went straight to Europe or D League and been called up like B Rob or Ajinca was.

People, realize, he's not going to be successful in the NBA until he learns to play defense. He's scoring on D leaguers, yes, but can't defend them. What happens in the NBA where defenders are better and scorers are better? He has limited upside and really only has himself to blame for his position. So really, shut up and play ball. You'll get your shot when you prove you're worth it. And if our plan is to hold you back until next year, you knew what you were getting into.

Idk. I think Roberts and Rivers could kill in the D-League as well. I've watch a couple of his games, and I didn't see anything worth calling up. His defense is so bad, I'd want to jam scissors into my eyes.

Well, I'm 99% sure he knew the rules when he declared for the draft. He knew he might get drafted in the second round and spend the year in the D-league.

He accepted those rules. Now he has to play along, I don't think he has the right to demand anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    People are talking about him working for peanuts. What was he going to make in Europe? If he was going to pull in 100-200k to ball for a season over there but turned it down to make 20-30k then that's on him.

If we told him from the beginning that we were going to let him play for a year over there and then bring him over for the 14-15 season then I don't see what the issue is. We told him go find a trade, if he has as much value as he thinks then he should be able to find something. We are meeting with him, but dude can only act like this for so long.

He declared for the draft. He knew what that meant. If he wants to be in complete control he could have went straight to Europe or D League and been called up like B Rob or Ajinca was.

People, realize, he's not going to be successful in the NBA until he learns to play defense. He's scoring on D leaguers, yes, but can't defend them. What happens in the NBA where defenders are better and scorers are better? He has limited upside and really only has himself to blame for his position. So really, shut up and play ball. You'll get your shot when you prove you're worth it. And if our plan is to hold you back until next year, you knew what you were getting into.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    SaintsinNO - you keep saying he has Brian Roberts and Austin Rivers playing in front of him.... but if I remember correctly, I haven't seen him come sit on the bench waiting to be called up. You think just because he gets called up means he's gunna start over Roberts and Rivers? Either way, going on past tendencies, Monty won't give him much PT barring an injury anyway.

Hell, I want to play in the NFL. I WANT IT and I know (in my mind) I'm probably just as good as some of those practice squad guys... they are getting paid more than me when I'm playing flag football for free. I deserve a shot!
    And your Total QBR in flag football is like 90. Easily should be given a shot.

Hell, I even threw a pick 6... Drew Brees does that at least a few times a season... GIMME DAT $20MIL/YR

Hell, I even threw a pick 6... Drew Brees does that at least a few times a season... GIMME DAT $20MIL/YR
    AND 10 DELAY OF GAMES A YEAR!!

Banned

I am saying that because I'd have to imagine that one reason for not calling a guy up is because there is no room on the active squad. AR has been given a chance and is improving, but he without a doubt is not ready to successfully sustain minutes at this level, so my point is let him go to the D League because you have tried to develop him and it simply isn't working. Brian Roberts is just terrible. So what is the downside of bringing him up? I realize Monty has that history and I don't agree with it all the time, especially now when we are not going anywhere this year; let's see what we have. I think most can agree that if Roberts is in our long term plans this team isn't going to win much so let's start to explore the other options.

Also, my point is less about what the team should do (though I don't see why you don't call him up) and more about the attitude of displeasure with what Jackson's camp is pushing for. If I was killing in the D League and had two guys who are proven below average at best for a season and a half I would also want a shot and push until I got it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Idk. I think Roberts and Rivers could kill in the D-League as well. I've watch a couple of his games, and I didn't see anything worth calling up. His defense is so bad, I'd want to jam scissors into my eyes.
    Roberts doesn't fit this bill??? Not to mention he can't really pass either or work P&R's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

This only makes sense to me if you have assets playing in his spot. How do you know what he'll be in the NBA? You don't, no one does. But we know what Roberts is and what Rivers has been in over a year and a half, so why would you not kick the tires? You want a guy who has the killer instinct, especially at that size. That's how Nate Robinson got where he is.

Your job pays you and can tell you they simply want you sitting in a room licking envelops all day, but if you saw a guy in the spot you wanted to be in who was underperforming, you would sit there and simply lick envelopes because your job can tell you what to do? Especially while getting paid less? No, you wouldn't. It's one thing if you are developing or have players in front of him, but you don't...you have Brian Roberts who is late 20's and not a good player. Call the kid up and let's see what he's got. Why would you not? Is Brian Roberts better even with PJ being 20? I have some serious doubt.

He's a 2nd round pick and he's a rookie... he has no leverage. I wouldn't gush over his D-LEAGUE stats... especially when he can't guard anybody in the D_LEAGUE. In the NBA he can score 15 ppg but give up 30.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Give the dude a shot. We are starting Brian Roberts...I repeat, Brian Roberts.
    What happened to Rivers as PG?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    He's a 2nd round pick and he's a rookie... he has no leverage. I wouldn't gush over his D-LEAGUE stats... especially when he can't guard anybody in the D_LEAGUE. In the NBA he can score 15 ppg but give up 30.
    I'm not gushing or even saying he'll be good, but fact is we don't know. We do, however, know about Roberts so why not is my point. Roberts is terrible on D and is already late 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    What happened to Rivers as PG?
    I'd take that over Roberts, at least we are developing young talent.

This only makes sense to me if you have assets playing in his spot. How do you know what he'll be in the NBA? You don't, no one does. But we know what Roberts is and what Rivers has been in over a year and a half, so why would you not kick the tires? You want a guy who has the killer instinct, especially at that size. That's how Nate Robinson got where he is.

Your job pays you and can tell you they simply want you sitting in a room licking envelops all day, but if you saw a guy in the spot you wanted to be in who was underperforming, you would sit there and simply lick envelopes because your job can tell you what to do? Especially while getting paid less? No, you wouldn't. It's one thing if you are developing or have players in front of him, but you don't...you have Brian Roberts who is late 20's and not a good player. Call the kid up and let's see what he's got. Why would you not? Is Brian Roberts better even with PJ being 20? I have some serious doubt.
    We've seen Roberts, we haven't seen enough of Rivers and if anything Rivers has looked decent in his limited PT. And Rivers can give you a NBA level defender. We already know Pierre can't guard D Leaguers, he's not going to get to the NBA and suddenly be a defensive terror - he will be worse.

So that leaves offense. But we already have a guy in BRob who is on a guaranteed contract that is short and likes to shoot the ball. Why would we kill a year of Pierre's contract just so he can come in and be a MARGINAL upgrade to Roberts, AT BEST, And can't give you anywhere close to what Rivers does?

Need I remind people, Rivers averaged almost 19-4-3 in D League this summer on a better FG% than Pierre is now. What Pierre is doing is a Cool Story Bro, but he's not unique in his ability to tear up D League and we already have guys to develop on the team. I see no reason to bring him up this year unless Roberts or Rivers gets injured.

Thread Information