Pelicans Report

Thread: Monty go get you a fine tonight

Monty go get you a fine tonight

that no call on Austin's last second shot is inexcusable... ref was looking right at it... and in a game w/ 40 fouls called and 76 free throws attempted (45 taken by DAL BTW)... he decides to sit on his whistle there

and I hope he throws a fit when he sees the play Jason Smith was fouled out on

he needs to be really vocal about it (I know he's not that kind of coach)

just caught some of the post game interview... he did say they rewound the tape back and saw 0.5 on the clock when the foul occurred... criticized refs in his mild manner
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Way to be a leader out there and have your guys backs. Carlisle threw a bigger fit about a no call in the 3rd than Monty did about that no-call on Rivers/Ellis.

Carlisle was complaining for the rest of the game. Thats what coaches do. You know that the won't change that call, but maybe you effect the next one. There was no next one for Monty. He will have more of an effect by bashing it post game, get the leagues attention.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    There was no next one for Monty.
    Who cares? Show your guys that you actually give a crap about what just happened. They played their asses off tonight and they showed him walking off the court with barely any fricks given.

It's tough for a coach. Because if you do that, then you risk have your team thinking about the refs too much in the future. The books I have read of the great coaches say to tell your players to control what they can control, and if you reinforce their beliefs that refs are screwing them, they will internalize it and it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It is one of the hardest things as a coach, in my opinion, to toe that line. Do you handle it with class and preach to control what you can, or do you give in to emotion and risk players focusing on it too much? I don't know the answer. Monty has his. I don't know if I agree right now, but I respect his right to do what he thinks is best.

MM you're killing me man. What do you mean by "right now"? 4 years isn't enough time to formalize an opinion? I do know we consistently get worked by the refs and very rarely do I ever watch a game on TV or leave the arena thinking we got the better end of the stick.

Other team's star players talk to the refs like they know they're getting the next call. Coaches grill the refs acting as if they are incompetent. We do neither. It's one thing to worry about the refs. It's another to completely and utterly ignore that they are a massive aspect of the game.

Our team needs to treat the refs like they expect better and figure out ways to get them to respond to them. Ignoring them is not working.

There have been plenty of players and coaches who yelled who didn't get the benefit of the doubt. Rasheed became targeted because of it. It works both ways. If one thing definitely worked better than another thing, everybody would do that thing. It's not that simple.

Nowhere did I advise our player's to yell at the refs. Coaches yell and players court. They talk to the refs throughout the game, smooze up to them by admitting they fouled and the ref made a good call, and point out things the other team is doing.

And what do you mean? Everybody would be doing it? EVERYBODY IS DOING IT. Dirk pointed to his arm every damn shot attempt that didn't go in tonight. CP3/Wade/LBJ/D12/Harden/Durant spend more time during TO's/FT's talking to the refs than their coaches. Davis is the only one on our team I see giving the refs conversation and coincidentally he's top 15 in the league in FTA/game.
    Last edited by ImSorryMonty; 01-11-2014 at 11:45 PM.

You described only superstars who GET those calls by being simply who they are. Do you think if aminu throws up his arms at every crap shot that doesn't fall the refs will tell him oh yeah dear, sure, i'll call the foul right away?

Besides, i can't remember the last time popovich or another good coach was jumping up and down the way carlisle was.

Thread Information