Pelicans Report

Thread: Monty holding back Tyreke?

how can someone argue that monty is not doing it? is it players IQ??? yeah you stupid tyreke wtf are you doing on the bench! tyreke gets average of 25minutes per game and then roberts gets way too many minutes. one should count the seconds each player dribbles the ball and then divide it by minutes played. i guess roberts would be very high on the pelicans list..

the pelicans very often start the games in a very good way. then monty's game management takes over: his great substitutions, his great time outs, benching the hot hand, getting angry at the refs when they are doing some crazy things.. and then he out coaches the other coaches, wait how many times can we say that he did a better coaching job than the opponent?

I think I'd rather Morrow check in for Aminu and Tyreke check in for both Gordon and Jrue. I'd like to see Jrue take over the backup PG spot when Jrue goes out and play the SF/SG spot when Jrue is in.

Tyreke should be getting 30 minutes a game easily.

Monty is clueless.

i can't believe he can be NBA Head coach

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    how can someone argue that monty is not doing it? is it players IQ??? yeah you stupid tyreke wtf are you doing on the bench! tyreke gets average of 25minutes per game and then roberts gets way too many minutes. one should count the seconds each player dribbles the ball and then divide it by minutes played. i guess roberts would be very high on the pelicans list..

the pelicans very often start the games in a very good way. then monty's game management takes over: his great substitutions, his great time outs, benching the hot hand, getting angry at the refs when they are doing some crazy things.. and then he out coaches the other coaches, wait how many times can we say that he did a better coaching job than the opponent?
    Why are the two mutually exclusive? Isn't it possible that BOTH Monty makes mistakes and players have IQ issues?

People are trying so hard to make one thing the entire issue. There are multiple disturbing things at play here. Why limit the problem (and solution) to just one thing?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Why are the two mutually exclusive? Isn't it possible that BOTH Monty makes mistakes and players have IQ issues?

People are trying so hard to make one thing the entire issue. There are multiple disturbing things at play here. Why limit the problem (and solution) to just one thing?
    If you have low IQ young players and a low IQ coach then you bring in a vet coach to teach them the right things. It's much easier to replace a coach than players, it can also stunt development see Tyreke in Sac and Javele in Washington.
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 01-09-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    If you have low IQ young players and a low IQ coach then you bring in a vet coach to teach them the right things. It's much easier to replace a coach than players, it can also stunt development see Tyreke in Sac and Javele in Washington.
    "It's much easier to replace a coach than players" --- and that is why there is so much Fire Monty talk. We want to believe this is somewhat easily fixed. It won't be. As I have said, I hope we interview a ton of guys and bring in a long term coach this summer. But even after that happens, there will still be roster changes needed, lessons that need to be learned, roles that need to be defined, and internal growth that will take time.

"It's much easier to replace a coach than players" --- and that is why there is so much Fire Monty talk. We want to believe this is somewhat easily fixed. It won't be. As I have said, I hope we interview a ton of guys and bring in a long term coach this summer. But even after that happens, there will still be roster changes needed, lessons that need to be learned, roles that need to be defined, and internal growth that will take time.
    Of course, in no way should we have a new permanent coach brought in now. If he was to be fired it should be a interim coach and a full rage of options should be visited. I will say they should not go to the young coach route again due to these being young vet players that needs a leader who will be respected and teach them thing they we're never taught since being in the league. Not a learn as they go along coach which I believe Monty does a lot. You still see a lot of mental mistakes with this team they have yet to be fixed since beginning of the season. Like on fast break when they don't spread the floor to confuse the defender. Then I think once a coach is hired they should make roster moves with the coaches input on what type of player would fit best what he wants to do with this team. None of the players on this roster Gordon, Jrue, or Tyreke ever had a good coach in there career.
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 01-09-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Tyreke not getting 30 mins a game is rediculous, he can play the pg, sg or sf, tyreke not getting 30 mins a game with NO ryan anderson??? retarded, I was a monty fan, but his rotations are terrible, and how can u be a defensive minded coach and have a terrible defense with 2 of the best defenders in the NBA in AD and Jrue? I dont care how hard his scheme is, it isn't working with OUR players, change the scheme or change the coach!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyreke averaging 19-7-6 per 36 mins, ya we should def sit him..... sure he averaged 20-5-5 his rookie year but i'd much rather 1 less point and have his turnovers down and his assists and rebounds up

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Tyreke not getting 30 mins a game is rediculous, he can play the pg, sg or sf, tyreke not getting 30 mins a game with NO ryan anderson??? retarded, I was a monty fan, but his rotations are terrible, and how can u be a defensive minded coach and have a terrible defense with 2 of the best defenders in the NBA in AD and Jrue? I dont care how hard his scheme is, it isn't working with OUR players, change the scheme or change the coach!!!!!!!!!!!!
    For some reason Monty doesn't like playing Tyreke at point he rather keep Roberts in.

For some reason Monty doesn't like playing Tyreke at point he rather keep Roberts in.
    lol i know right? working out great for him, arguably our 2nd best player getting 25 mins a game lol...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Sometimes I think Monty is holding back the average mildly retarded fan from making a decent in-game on-paper move. I'm personally tired of making excuses for him. /rant

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Sometimes I think Monty is holding back the average mildly retarded fan from making a decent in-game on-paper move. I'm personally tired of making excuses for him. /rant
    Like I said i was a fan when we had trevor ariza and basically no talent and played hard every freaking night and our defense was top 8 in the NBA, but now we are built a different way, his half-court spurs offense and complex defense isn't a fit here.

We need them to play D. Never seen a team so bad at rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    THIS!!!

Can any monty supporter explain the logic behind this?

Im more patient with 20 yo players who actually should get time to learn but i dont think we should wait for a coach to learn and he learns very slowly

Evans is holding himself back. Evans lost his pg starting position to a scrub in Sacramento. Evans has great physical skills but his basketball skillset is lacking. He has a great handle, crossover and first step but his drives to basket often results in wild shoots. His play is extreme. He seems to have tunnel vision and dominates the ball. I remember a game with Williams screaming at him to pass the ball.
    My concern is his regression. I believe he will never develop an offensive game. His midrange shoot makes AFA look like Curry. His skillset seems better suited as s point guard given his handle and ability to overpower smaller defenders. He is not s scheme or half court player but you can not run if you can not rebound and stop your opponent. He is the classic basketball tease.

Roberts can shoot, but he has to play off the ball if Monty is gonna play him with the 2nd unit. Reke should run the point, and play iso. Stick Ryno (when he comes back) and Morrow in the corners, and let Reke run P/R with Smiht. That's all we should do with the 2nd unit.

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    Evans is holding himself back. Evans lost his pg starting position to a scrub in Sacramento. Evans has great physical skills but his basketball skillset is lacking. He has a great handle, crossover and first step but his drives to basket often results in wild shoots. His play is extreme. He seems to have tunnel vision and dominates the ball. I remember a game with Williams screaming at him to pass the ball.
    My concern is his regression. I believe he will never develop an offensive game. His midrange shoot makes AFA look like Curry. His skillset seems better suited as s point guard given his handle and ability to overpower smaller defenders. He is not s scheme or half court player but you can not run if you can not rebound and stop your opponent. He is the classic basketball tease.
    You have some fair points -- he could certainly work on his vision when handling the ball, he has a lot of room for improvement on his jump shot, he could be more controlled on his layups, etc. But these to me aren't deal breakers, they're just points of emphasis for him to work on. I think it's a bit myopic to go ahead and assume he'll regress throughout his career. His numbers dippped since his rookie year but between last year and this year his play is on an upward trend. Just give him time. Some of the problems you mentioned, ie being too ball-dominant, can be remedied by having him come off the bench. When he's playing with our second unit, we want the ball to pretty much always be in his or Ryno's hands.

Thread Information