Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Should Davis be moved to Center next year (75% or more of the time)?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

16 39.02%
  • no

18 43.90%
  • undecided

7 17.07%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Move Davis to mostly full-time Center next year?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

Move Davis to mostly full-time Center next year?

Do you think we should move Davis to (mostly, say 75% or more) Center next year? If so, why? If not, why?

Yes - simple answer is that Ryno is on the roster. I want the two of them to play together a ton.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Yes - simple answer is that Ryno is on the roster. I want the two of them to play together a ton.
    Quick question: Are you concerned about Ryno's injury long-term? I don't really know much about it, and how worried should we be about him coming back or not coming back at full-strength?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I don't know about 75% of the time, but I do think he should see more minutes at C next year than he has this year (which has been more than he has seen at PF).

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Quick question: Are you concerned about Ryno's injury long-term? I don't really know much about it, and how worried should we be about him coming back or not coming back at full-strength?
    I had a herniated disk this past summer. Worst feeling in the world. It felt exactly how Ryno described it. Talked to numerous doctors and via rehab and one shot, I am 100% now and have been for months. My doctor has had a herniated disk for 20+ years and runs 10-12 triathalons a year with no issue. But ironically, his disk causes him pain when he brushes his teeth. Such a weird thing.

Could it be a lifelong issue? Yeah. But I think he will be fine if he sticks to pretty simple therapy. Yoga, hot tub, core exercises, etc.

No. I want AD free to roam, not locked up with a beast every night. If we have a decent center, AD, and Ryno in the game, we will be hard to score on and hard to defend. Withey is decent, and Ajinca has decent stretches. I wouldn't say no to another more stout option that stays in the paint and focuses on rim protection and boxing out so we can rebound.

if ryno is on the team yes, if we sign larry sanders, no

I'm undecided but I think Davis will eventually play mostly at center. According to basketball reference he's played 51% of his minutes at center this year. This is up from mid 20s% last year. I don't see a ton of big bruisers that would cause him to need to play PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm undecided but I think Davis will eventually play mostly at center. According to basketball reference he's played 51% of his minutes at center this year. This is up from mid 20s% last year. I don't see a ton of big bruisers that would cause him to need to play PF.
    And it was higher before Ryno went down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basketball Guru
    I think alot of yall still thinks that AD is still playing for KY or alot of yall forgot that AD has a say in what position he plays for the future,,i mean he is our franchise player right?................i guess i missed the news conference where AD said that he wouldnt mind playing C next season or in the future........have any one of yall thought that AD has had this convo with dell/monty about what position he wants to play for this team?................do any of yall see AD gaining weight and strength to D.Howard size next year or 2?........

IMO if the plan is for AD to play C full time in the future,the time is now with all of the injuries we have,,,,throw him to the wolves now and lets see how he hold up then the team can plan around him for the draft and trade options......i havent seen that happen yet but maybe the team will play around with the idea next month............

I dont want him at C full time,,,,i dont think AD wants to play C full time,,,i also think if the team try to force AD to play C full time,AD,his father and his people will have AD out of new orleans on the first thing smoking......so someone please show me a link where AD said he is open to playing C full time.......Hes our PF and i hope he stays at that position........he can play C during small ball and against certain match ups but full time,,,,,man please.

Shaq was on the radio last week and said he would like AD to add about 30 pds over the next 3 years to become a true C. he said once that happens he could be the best C in the league

Is AD really that much smaller than Hakeem? Another 10-15 lbs, whenever that comes, he will be big enough (and he's probably close to ok now). Hakeem even owned a young shaquille. AD can be pretty close to what Hakeem was. Instead of settling for the jumper, he can use his quickness to spin around centers. I guess it's just a thought, but Olajuwon was always my favorite and I think Davis can be sort of that player with slightly different skills. And it allows Anderson to start which would create even more spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    I think alot of yall still thinks that AD is still playing for KY or alot of yall forgot that AD has a say in what position he plays for the future,,i mean he is our franchise player right?................i guess i missed the news conference where AD said that he wouldnt mind playing C next season or in the future........have any one of yall thought that AD has had this convo with dell/monty about what position he wants to play for this team?................do any of yall see AD gaining weight and strength to D.Howard size next year or 2?........

IMO if the plan is for AD to play C full time in the future,the time is now with all of the injuries we have,,,,throw him to the wolves now and lets see how he hold up then the team can plan around him for the draft and trade options......i havent seen that happen yet but maybe the team will play around with the idea next month............

I dont want him at C full time,,,,i dont think AD wants to play C full time,,,i also think if the team try to force AD to play C full time,AD,his father and his people will have AD out of new orleans on the first thing smoking......so someone please show me a link where AD said he is open to playing C full time.......Hes our PF and i hope he stays at that position........he can play C during small ball and against certain match ups but full time,,,,,man please.
    Show me a link where AD said he didn't want to play C or a link where he only wants to play PF. AD cares about winning. He'd play PG if it meant we won games.

Silly to talk about like this. Davis will start at PF for his career like TD did, but he will be a rim protector his whole career. If he's listed as a PF or C, it' doesn't matter. I think the coaching staff will mitigate Davis playing against physical mismatches in terms of strength by having the flexibility to have a bigger guy take some of those physical demands. It doesn't have to be one or the other. It's really a silly debate when you think about it. Davis won't refuse to guard a "big".

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Silly to talk about like this. Davis will start at PF for his career like TD did, but he will be a rim protector his whole career. If he's listed as a PF or C, it' doesn't matter. I think the coaching staff will mitigate Davis playing against physical mismatches in terms of strength by having the flexibility to have a bigger guy take some of those physical demands. It doesn't have to be one or the other. It's really a silly debate when you think about it. Davis won't refuse to guard a "big".
    THe debate is more on defense for me... I don't want AD out on the permiter guarding guys like was last night. It takes away what he does best, and if he's going to be guarding 4, that is what every team will do to him. We need to pair Davis with a big capable being on other permiter 4s, so AD can stay by the basket.

It's why I think Anderson is an amazing fit. Yes Anderson may have trouble on defense, but AD can cover a lot of his mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    THe debate is more on defense for me... I don't want AD out on the permiter guarding guys like was last night. It takes away what he does best, and if he's going to be guarding 4, that is what every team will do to him. We need to pair Davis with a big capable being on other permiter 4s, so AD can stay by the basket.

It's why I think Anderson is an amazing fit. Yes Anderson may have trouble on defense, but AD can cover a lot of his mistakes.
    I think the root of the question isn't what position he will play; it's do you (not you but the collecting "intelligence" of the board) think that AD and Ryno work well together as a defensive tandem.

I think the root of the question isn't what position he will play; it's do you (not you but the collecting "intelligence" of the board) think that AD and Ryno work well together as a defensive tandem.
    I think it will be good enough. The Offense will be magical.

Personally I am happy to have Davis finish at the 5, but I would prefer to have both Anderson and Evans come off the bench together.
    I think having guy's like Ajinca, Smith and Withey are enough to take those minutes at C for Davis when he starts quarters at PF.

A finishing 5 of Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Anderson and Davis is exceptional.....and not too many teams could compete with this line up in 2-3 years.

I'd rather leave the team as is minus Roberts and Stiemsma and bring in Jackson and a 3&D SF.
    I wan't limited turn over of players this season as I think the team is starting to see some cohesion.

Personally, I think they can work well enough. Before Howard went down with his back injury, the Magic were a top 10 defense with Ryno, Dwight, and poor defenders in Jameer, Hedo, and JJ Reddick. The Pelicans have better perimeter defenders surrounding them.

I think Davis will be an Hakeem or Robinson level defender within 2 years. Guys like that can make a defense good by themselves. Maybe they won't be super elite, but a very good defense combined with what would be an unguardable offense will be enough.

Personally, I think they can work well enough. Before Howard went down with his back injury, the Magic were a top 10 defense with Ryno, Dwight, and poor defenders in Jameer, Hedo, and JJ Reddick. The Pelicans have better perimeter defenders surrounding them.

I think Davis will be an Hakeem or Robinson level defender within 2 years. Guys like that can make a defense good by themselves. Maybe they won't be super elite, but a very good defense combined with what would be an unguardable offense will be enough.
    I think it can work, but i think we need guys on the perimeter that can stop penetration. I know it's unrealistic, but a Jason Kidd (good rebounding guard) with Ryno and Davis would have been perfect. /drool

I think it can work, but i think we need guys on the perimeter that can stop penetration. I know it's unrealistic, but a Jason Kidd (good rebounding guard) with Ryno and Davis would have been perfect. /drool
    Evans was doing this prior to Ryno's injury. Was a near triple double every night in the 7 games prior. Averaged over 7 RPG.

Evans was doing this prior to Ryno's injury. Was a near triple double every night in the 7 games prior. Averaged over 7 RPG.
    Yep, and he's exactly that type of guard we need if we want a AD and Ryno Front court. We need a guy if AD and Ryno box out that can come grab it.

Yep, and he's exactly that type of guard we need if we want a AD and Ryno Front court. We need a guy if AD and Ryno box out that can come grab it.
    The Core Four plus a SF who can shoot the 3 and drive by a PF and make him pay if teams put their SF on Ryno. Don't need to change much IMO. Just internal growth, a few tweeks, keep increasing depth, and STAY HEALTHY!

To be honest I just don't think he will be a center unless he gets injured. I would rather Davis move along the lines of Kevin Garnett. he doesn't need to add 30 lbs. does he need to get stronger yes! but he is a power forward and hopefully we keep him there and become the best pf in the Game.

The Core Four plus a SF who can shoot the 3 and drive by a PF and make him pay if teams put their SF on Ryno. Don't need to change much IMO. Just internal growth, a few tweeks, keep increasing depth, and STAY HEALTHY!
    Yeah i agree. I like what we've done in general. Your core 4 is Reke and not EJ, right?

I think you have to move EJ for a guy who can defend the wing and can shoot a 3 (like you said) and have a hearty bench. Even throw in a dinosaur (big center) to start and play 15 mpg. I think thats a perfect makeup for us.

Thread Information