Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fire Monty Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Never thought Monty was a good coach, still don't. But my questions are:

1.) Who do you get? I mean, realistically. Already into the season; any good coach wants a full training camp to implement their system. Only a desperate coach would take that job. In all likelihood, you are settling for an interim coach off your bench.

2.) What would you expect this season with that new head coach?

I think george karl would easily take this job

Personally, I think anybody who thinks we could get Hollins or Karl or Van Gundy, etc. THIS YEAR, is living in a dream world. Good, veteran coaches want a training camp to implement their system. Only way you get a big name who can actually coach after the season has already started is if you are a contender or in a big market throwing around big bucks.

Don't believe me? Go find me examples of good, proven coaches who went to a non-contending, small market team after the season already started.

Not an option.
    You do have a point. But both those coaches were fired, and we do have an intriguing roster, with an emerging superstar. Would they really totally snub their noses at us just because they didn't want to wait for the offseason? I just have to think that AD will be a very enticing draw for a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I don't think he does. Just as Monty has shown himself to be incapable of learning certain skills necessary to be a successful coach in this league like in game adjustments, play calling, rotations and matchups Demps hasn't exactly put together a coherent roster to work with.

Remember this is the guy who was ready to pull the trigger on a cp3 for Kevin martin, Scola and odom. Who sold our future(directed from above or not) for a bunch of guys with a lot of question marks about not only their true abillity but their cohesion as a unit. If the experiment fails I think Dell should rightfully be held accountable.

But I'll also throw in that I cringed a lot when I heard benson wanted to win now. This isn't football benson, teams rarely turn it around over night unless youre that rare team that can pull a miami, Boston or Houston. Especially for smaller markets. You have to play the long game and wait for not just good oppurtunities but great ones. And while I think jrue and evans were good opportunities(though evans has disappointed so far and could end up a huge problem if he doesn't come around) I'm not convinced they were great ones. And to me the difference between the teams that become elite and those that never reach it are the oppurtunities they take and don't take. Dell has made a handful of ok moves, a lot of subpar ones(original cp3 trade, bayless trade, rivers) and one great one(Davis) and that was a gimme. I'm far from crowning him the way most treated him this summer as almost sacrosanct.
    I agree with almost everything you have said, except I did like the Holiday trade. The Evans signing kind of made me go WTF considering the glaring holes at C and SF. However I'm pretty confident that Dell could sign Lebron and Monty would still screw the pooch.
    If you will excuse me, I have to go return some video tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeymaster View Post
    So it appears a lot of people agree Monty should be gone, then there are some who are defending Monty without ever giving any reasons as to why he should continue to have a job? What have the Hornets/Pelicans excelled at under Monty?
    You are missing another category - people who realize there is no better alternative for the rest of this season and are willing to let him play out the last 74 games to see if he can figure it out. If not, fire him and do a full coaching search while you have the attention of coaches at every level. You can't talk to Shaka Smart or Bill Self right now, for instance. Why just hire somebody else just to hire someone? The summer is when you will have the best chance to do an exhaustive search and find the right guy if Monty doesnt get it together
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
    You do have a point. But both those coaches were fired, and we do have an intriguing roster, with an emerging superstar. Would they really totally snub their noses at us just because they didn't want to wait for the offseason? I just have to think that AD will be a very enticing draw for a coach.
    How enticing was Durant?

Small market, roster configuration is questionable at best with no real flexibility, and you have to try and put the bicycle together as you ride it. And, oh yeah, you probably will be one of the lower 15 coaches salary wise.

Not that enticing to veteran coaches IMO.

You are missing another category - people who realize there is no better alternative for the rest of this season and are willing to let him play out the last 74 games to see if he can figure it out. If not, fire him and do a full coaching search while you have the attention of coaches at every level. You can't talk to Shaka Smart or Bill Self right now, for instance. Why just hire somebody else just to hire someone? The summer is when you will have the best chance to do an exhaustive search and find the right guy if Monty doesnt get it together
    ...You're starting to turn me. And Monty is an excellent tank commander.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    He might. Next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Nope. Karl would rather a big market. Going to ask for a lot of money too. If the old man don't want to pay Jimmy Graham, what makes you think he is going to pay for Karl?

How enticing was Durant?

Small market, roster configuration is questionable at best with no real flexibility, and you have to try and put the bicycle together as you ride it. And, oh yeah, you probably will be one of the lower 15 coaches salary wise.

Not that enticing to veteran coaches IMO.
    Fair point. Though if just one of them thought AD could be top 5, I think they'd take a chance. Perhaps a season with no expectations and so many built in excuses would sell them. Maybe if they thought our problems were easily fixed. *shrug* But I doubt it, unfortunately. Just the thought of another whole season with Monty is enough to depress a man.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPel View Post
    Nope. Karl would rather a big market. Going to ask for a lot of money too. If the old man don't want to pay Jimmy Graham, what makes you think he is going to pay for Karl?
    I really, really doubt Benson has anything to do with Graham's contract negotiations.

1.) Who do you get? I mean, realistically. Already into the season; any good coach wants a full training camp to implement their system. Only a desperate coach would take that job. In all likelihood, you are settling for an interim coach off your bench.

idk if it would help us this year but at the same time idk if it could really hurt us...i never thought monty would get fired midseason, i always thought it was a possibility at the end of the season...and it is starting to look like that if we continue to play like this

i don't think monty is a good coach and obviously he is not completely to blame...but if you think he is a bad coach and after 4 years and 3 straight bad seasons, teams usually make the change and try to upgrade at the end of the season...now do we know whomever we replace him with at the end of the season would be an improvement? of course not...but just like we need to upgrade at certain personnel areas you should try to upgrade at coach too...it would be silly to stick with a coach who you think is a bad coach

now i am starting to think he should be fired during the season if we continue to get outhustled and play with no energy...if it comes to the point where the writing is on the wall for monty, then there is no point in sticking with him for the season...and maybe a change would bring about energy, who knows..wouldn't make things any worse

the lack of energy is what is most frustrating with the team..i remember in byron's last year, i was so frustrated at the team's lack of energy/hustle that i thought it was time for byron to go..but even i was surprised of his early firing...i really am starting to get that same feeling this year...i honestly would not be surprised if monty gets fired on thursday if we lose tomorrow night in a similar fashion as tonight's game

monty seems like a nice guy..but nice guys usually make for good lead assistants...he doesn't seem to be a guy that players fear..and i think this team needs some of that

I really, really doubt Benson has anything to do with Graham's contract negotiations.

Who signs the check!

Monty is here for the year. If not, you are looking at Randy Ayers or Bryan Gates.

I just want people to realize that as they scream for Monty to get fired. Welcome to the real world.

I don't think we make the playoffs ..my fear is we will finish some between 7-10 and lose our pick . This draft is deep . We may need to go in tank mode if this doesn't get turned around by game 25
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Who signs the check!
    A check hasn't even been agreed upon to be signed. Signing the check is really all Benson does now. There's no way he's own there telling Loomis how to negotiate. Salary caps, etc. are the main concern, not Benson's checkbook. Dude is a billionaire, man.

Monty is here for the year. If not, you are looking at Randy Ayers or Bryan Gates.

I just want people to realize that as they scream for Monty to get fired. Welcome to the real world.
    WE WANT EVERYTHING!
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Pierre the Pelican for head coach. Have him chase our players up and down the court. Fastest offense in the league immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    WE WANT EVERYTHING!
    So do the fan bases of the 29 other teams. Unfortunately this isn't Tee-Ball. Not everybody is a winner. Most will be losers. Sad, but true.

Pierre the Pelican for head coach. Have him chase our players up and down the court. Fastest offense in the league immediately.
    LOL

A check hasn't even been agreed upon to be signed. Signing the check is really all Benson does now. There's no way he's own there telling Loomis how to negotiate. Salary caps, etc. are the main concern, not Benson's checkbook. Dude is a billionaire, man.

You must have been living in a coma during the Brees negotiations. You may want to look up who ran the NFL finance committees. I bet Benson counts every dollar from beers sold to contract negotiations. Go on Airline drive and ask them.

Karl has always coached relatively small market teams; Seattle, Milwaukee, Denver. So I don't think he would have a problem coaching in N.O. especially when we potentially have a transcendent player in Austin Rivers.

You must have been living in a coma during the Brees negotiations. You may want to look up who ran the NFL finance committees.
    And Brees got paid, handsomely. So what's your point. Benson is not making midnight calls to Loomis telling him how much he can offer Graham. Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeymaster View Post
    Karl has always coached relatively small market teams; Seattle, Milwaukee, Denver. So I don't think he would have a problem coaching in N.O. especially when we potentially have a transcendent player in Austin Rivers.
    Ah, damn, you got me. lol

1) Try to interview Karl, Hollins, Jeff Van Gundy, SVG, Jerry Sloan, and whoever else.

2) To not blow 16 point leads at half time. To get the most out of the players on your team like the Lakers and Suns and Celtics are doing. To be able to score more than 20 points in a quarter and 40 points at halftime. To have good and flexible rotations, play your best players the most minutes, call timeouts, yell at players or bench players if need be. To motivate players and demand the best out of them. To have an offense that is faster, more ball movement, generates more 3's and easier shots. Just some of these things would be nice.

Mainly I expect the Pelicans to win games when they are favored.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 11-13-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Id rather lose with an crappy interim coach for just the remainder of the season than lose with Monty.

Thread Information