Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Lebron James: The PeliKING?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Now that this is a possibility since he's a FA.
    It's not a possibility.

Only scenario where he ever becomes a Pelican:

Dell is able to move Gordon, Evans, and Anderson over this next year and in one of those deals gets another star (say Love). Meanwhile, Lebron re-ups with the Heat for one year or a multi year contract with an option every year.

Then, we head into next summer with Love, Jrue, and AD and 25+ mil in cap room. If AD becomes the MVP candidate we think he can be, then how does Lebron say no to that?

Would need a lot of things to fall in place, so it is extremely unlikely - but that is the one possibility. Zero possibility it happens this summer.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Only scenario where he ever becomes a Pelican:

Dell is able to move Gordon, Evans, and Anderson over this next year and in one of those deals gets another star (say Love). Meanwhile, Lebron re-ups with the Heat for one year or a multi year contract with an option every year.

Then, we head into next summer with Love, Jrue, and AD and 25+ mil in cap room. If AD becomes the MVP candidate we think he can be, then how does Lebron say no to that?

Would need a lot of things to fall in place, so it is extremely unlikely - but that is the one possibility. Zero possibility it happens this summer.
    If James WANTED to sign here, Demps could clear salary. You'd throw 3 1sts in with Gordon to some SG hungry team and dump him if it meant you had LeBron wrapped up. '

That said, this would be a possibility were we still in the East. If he's gonna dump the cake conference, he'd sign somewhere in the West that already has built a contender.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    A deal to get LeBron here would likely require moving Evans too. Reke would be superfluous anyway, really.

I think I said it once, but I think we're more likely to get LeBron than Cleveland. If that wasn't who he initially left, they wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Lebron re-ups with the Heat for one year or a multi year contract with an option every year.
    I don't think that there's any way Wade takes a pay cut, so there's no way that Lebron sticks around for another season unless both he and Bosh are willing to take MASSIVE pay cuts.

Homerism aside, I think the Pels are one of the best fits for James. I don't think he fits well with a lane clogging center. A Jrue/Reke/James/Ryno/AD finishing lineup has 3 guys that can catch and shoot well off of Lebron drives, with Jrue and Reke being able to handle the ball when he doesn't have it. If you think that Gordon can play ~73 games per season, he may actually be a better fit than Reke. Plus Rivers has shown to be a capable catch and shooter from 3, so he'd be able to start with Gordon being the primary bench scorer (and probable game finisher).

In terms of fit with teams that could realistically free up space this season, I'd have us in the top 3 with Houston #1, Portland #2 (we'd be a better fit, but Portland could easily deal Batum for a quality cheap player) and us 3rd. Unfortunately, only Houston has a legit chance as signing him. Not a Portland fan, but would much rather see them be an elite team than Houston.
    Last edited by THRILLHOUSE; 06-24-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    If James WANTED to sign here, Demps could clear salary. You'd throw 3 1sts in with Gordon to some SG hungry team and dump him if it meant you had LeBron wrapped up. '

That said, this would be a possibility were we still in the East. If he's gonna dump the cake conference, he'd sign somewhere in the West that already has built a contender.
    That's my thing, I don't think he leaves the Eastern Conference.
    Also....

This thread is undead. Quail is a necromancer

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    That's my thing, I don't think he leaves the Eastern Conference.
    Also....

This thread is undead. Quail is a necromancer
    Agreed. The guys saying we have a better chance than Cleveland are comparing rosters, but Cleveland has a better shot than multiple better teams due to the conference they're in.

Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post
    I don't think that there's any way Wade takes a pay cut, so there's no way that Lebron sticks around for another season unless both he and Bosh are willing to take MASSIVE pay cuts.

Homerism aside, I think the Pels are one of the best fits for James. I don't think he fits well with a lane clogging center. A Jrue/Reke/James/Ryno/AD finishing lineup has 3 guys that can catch and shoot well off of Lebron drives, with Jrue and Reke being able to handle the ball when he doesn't have it. If you think that Gordon can play ~73 games per season, he may actually be a better fit than Reke. Plus Rivers has shown to be a capable catch and shooter from 3, so he'd be able to start with Gordon being the primary bench scorer (and probable game finisher).

In terms of fit with teams that could realistically free up space this season, I'd have us in the top 3 with Houston #1, Portland #2 (we'd be a better fit, but Portland could easily deal Batum for a quality cheap player) and us 3rd. Unfortunately, only Houston has a legit chance as signing him. Not a Portland fan, but would much rather see them be an elite team than Houston.
    I dont see us being a candidate yet because AD hasnt taken that final step and if you are Lebron, I can see being hesitant of teaming up with a guy who hasn't broken all the way through just yet on a team that hasnt even sniffed the playoffs.

If and when AD breaks through and the team makes the playoffs, I believe they will become a team that stars will consider strongly, but not until then.

I dont see us being a candidate yet because AD hasnt taken that final step and if you are Lebron, I can see being hesitant of teaming up with a guy who hasn't broken all the way through just yet on a team that hasnt even sniffed the playoffs.

If and when AD breaks through and the team makes the playoffs, I believe they will become a team that stars will consider strongly, but not until then.
    Like if/when Westbrook leaves OKC for the bright lights & Durant hits unrestricted free agency?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I just hope AD doesn't go somewhere else with LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Like if/when Westbrook leaves OKC for the bright lights & Durant hits unrestricted free agency?
    AD needs to start getting close to him at Team USA.

The Franchise
    I think Davis could work with Lebron. Davis doesn't have to have the offense run through him to get his and still be great.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    I just hope AD doesn't go somewhere else with LeBron.
    by the time AD is able to leave LBJ will be quite long in the tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I think Davis could work with Lebron. Davis doesn't have to have the offense run through him to get his and still be great.
    LeBron is a perfect fit on literally every team in the league. He has a wide and varied skillset with each skill at an elite or near elite level. His body type also let's him be effective in small, big, and normal lineups.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I just don't see how it is that far fetched. If you compare a pelicans roster next year with James to the Heat this year, I think we are a clear winner. Trade Eric Gordon for a bag of donuts and we are all set. I also think that reke and LBJ would fit a lot better than people think. Lebron has actually become a very good shooter, and NOONE is going to double off of him, therefore he will create plenty of spacing even with tyreke being a poor jump shooter. Wade has never been a good jump shooter and obviously those two did not hinder each other, tyreke would be no different.

Jrue vs Chalmers - Landslide victory
    Reke vs Wade - rested all year and still didnt have it in the playoffs? trying not to be a homer but let's call this a draw.
    Lebron vs Lebron -
    AD vs Bosh - another landslide.
    center vs center - a draw due to both being terrible.

So you have 2 clear upgrades and 2 draws. You could certainly even go as far as 2 clear upgrades, a minor upgrade at the 2, and 1 glaring need at center still. As far as fit, I think all the parts fit perfectly. If we could get a big body that wouldn't foul out instantly for the MLE we shouldn't be too far off salary cap wise either. We would have an amazing offense and defense. Plus, we would still have a very solid bench with anderson, and improving rivers, and aminu.

Lastly, LBJ gets to win a championship "without buying a big 3" which I think matters to him. He also gets to train AD and then pass the torch and ride ADs coat-tails to the end of his career, ala david Robinson.

Why is this such a longshot?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    The negativity towards him joining us won't help

Because none of our guys have ever won...anything (at NBA level)

Players don't see guys like we do. They don't see our potential. If they want to win a title next year, they look for other guys who have succeeded in the true NBA season - the post season. Lebron wouldn't be intrigued by a roster full of potential that has never had any level of success in the NBA.

Now, if they can make some noise next year and AD is in the MVP discussion at the age of 21, people will take notice. Not now though

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Hm...where are we on this now? Funny that the last post was Mac who has gone totally radio silent.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Lebron James: The PeliKING?

LeBron told us indirectly what he’s looking for: Basketball IQ...

He said you need that to beat Golden State. I think CP3 and Houston are in the catbird seat in that regard.

How crazy would it be if our very own whipping boy of a coach is the catalyst to get a meeting with LeBron. Everyone says that Gentry is a respected offensive mind. We will see if that reputation can work to our advantage. Erman and Finch have good reps, too.

End the end, will LeBron see the Brow as a player he can win next to in the gauntlet that is the West?

I think he’d be crazy to not at least kick the tires down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeBron has to at least give us a look. We would likely have to move Niko, Moore, and Hill to sign him though and have a minimum bench.

Quote Originally Posted by PortPelican View Post
    LeBron has to at least give us a look. We would likely have to move Niko, Moore, and Hill to sign him though and have a minimum bench.
    That shouldn’t matter as we’ll always have a superstar and offensive powerhouse on the court at any one time!
    '' We are here!!''

Quote Originally Posted by PortPelican View Post
    There would be pretty much no way to sign him as a FA without moving Jrue or AD... We could go the same route Houston did with CP3 though, and have him opt in to his 36 million, and tell Cleveland he only wants to be traded to us...

We could then send Cleveland Hill,Moore,Ajinca and a couple picks for him... Re-sign Boogie and Rondo, and fill the rest with min contracts, and we would only have roughly 135 million in contracts (including Niko), which would only throw us approximately 10 million into LT territory..

That would instantly make us the favorites (at least IMO), and Cleveland could use Moore and our picks to be able to shed some of their bad contracts while they rebuild
    Last edited by soggymoss; 06-09-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    hahahaha that gif just made me die

Thread Information