Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you had to pick one SF to add to our team, who would it be?

If you had to pick one SF to add to our team, who would it be?

Besides the obvious LeBron/Durant/ Melo. Who do you think would be the best fit on this team?

Harrison Barnes
    Twitter: @TheRealPaulyP
    PR Sim League (2006-07 Season)

I am guessing it has to be realistic, right?

If so, I would love it if Milwaukee went into the tank this year and we traded them Aminu and Steimsma for Ersan Illysova. Another shooter who is solid on the boards. Not a great perimeter defender, but I am being realistic in this scenario, and in a realistic world, you can't have everything.

His salary isn't that bad. We would still have the MLE without going into the lux tax. Could sign a center like Gortat with it next summer if AD isn't ready to get heavy minutes there yet
    @mcnamara247

Interesting take MM. I thought Illysova was more of a stretch 4 type player. Would you have him be our starting three? And I could see Milwaukee make this trade because they already have Butler and Delfino. I am not sure how Illysova's defense is but his defensive metrics seem to be okay.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Jeff Green does everything pretty well. He'd make sense. I'd love it if we could get Danilo from Denver also.
    @DanielVeuleman

Gallo or Barnes.

By the way I did not know Barnes been playing some 4
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

1. Luol Deng
    2. Jeff Green
    3. Chandler Parsons
    4. Harrison Barnes

Changes are on the way Pasta Man's Avatar
    Really easy choice, a guy who does all the dirty work and can fill up a stat sheet and is only 22.....

kawhi leonard
    NOLA Gothic

Dream scenario? Leonard or Parsons! All really well rounded people.

Thaddeus Young is my more realistic choice
    Follow me on Twitter: @WeAreSX2

Quote Originally Posted by Pasta Man View Post
    Really easy choice, a guy who does all the dirty work and can fill up a stat sheet and is only 22.....

kawhi leonard
    I forgot all about him... good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Interesting take MM. I thought Illysova was more of a stretch 4 type player. Would you have him be our starting three? And I could see Milwaukee make this trade because they already have Butler and Delfino. I am not sure how Illysova's defense is but his defensive metrics seem to be okay.
    I dont believe in positions, just skill sets. Of the realistic guys we can acquire, I would want his skill set the best. Thaddeus Young and Jeff Green are probably the other two semi-realistic options. Don't think any of them are the perfect fit (a guy like Kawhi is), but of those three, I prefer Ersan's skill set

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I dont believe in positions, just skill sets. Of the realistic guys we can acquire, I would want his skill set the best. Thaddeus Young and Jeff Green are probably the other two semi-realistic options. Don't think any of them are the perfect fit (a guy like Kawhi is), but of those three, I prefer Ersan's skill set
    I suppose I should clarify. You said he wasn't a great perimeter defender, can he guard perimeter players like Paul George, Deng, and Batum enough to where he can be masked? Or is he better suited in defending the "PF" so to speak. By liking his skillset, I assume you mean that you want a floor spacer who can also rebound, no? How different is he from the role that Ryno fills?

He is smarter than Aminu on that end, but not as fluid or athletic obviously. He could get by, and would possibly be fine if you played him with Tyreke. Very few teams have a 2 and a 3 who could create for themselves. Put Tyreke on the better of the two.

Also, that trade allows you to move Anderson if you can't say no to that Asik deal. Illysova and Asik are far better than Ryno, Aminu, and Steimsma IMO.

Regardless, there is no ideal answer. It's gonna be hard to add another major piece. In an ideal world, I suppose, Tyreke buys in to guarding SF's and continues to improve on his outside shot and the only need moving forward is depth and a low post big.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It seems like your a pessimist. You always go for a C + player realistically and settle for less.

I used to be the same until I stopped using logic and watch the genius Demps work miracles this summer.

By the way. Ima huge fan of the podcast, but you guys love playing it super safe lol. Go for the money sometimes! Respect though man. You guys are awesome and spot on most of the time.
    Last edited by Silverfoxx; 09-22-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    It seems like your a pessimist. You always go for a C + player realistically and settle for less.

I used to be the same until I stopped using logic and watch the genius Demps work miracles this summer.

By the way. Ima huge fan of the podcast, but you guys love playing it super safe lol. Go for the money sometimes! Respect though man. You guys are awesome and spot on most of the time.
    We thouroughly discussed every guy we got. I proposed Rondo for the same package we got Jrue for, so that is about equal.

I don't see the point in hoping for Kawhi Leonard or Paul George, etc. That is impossible. Nothing Demps did this summer was impossible. He had assets and flexibility and he got two really nice players out of it. He won't have that kind of cap space again for a long time, and he won't have a top 6 pick to trade again for a dozen years (hopefully)

If we can land Green, Young, or Illysova for our scraps, we should all do backflips. I don't even think any of those have more than a 10% chance of happening. That's realism, not pessimism.

But you are more than welcome to hope for Barnes, Leonard, George, etc. - who am I to stop you? I don't think there is even a remote chance, but I would love to be wrong.

Guy I would really like to get on the cheap before he blows up is Jeffrey Taylor. I don't think he will ever really break out in Charlotte, because he will be asked to do too much on a terrible team, but as a role player on a good team, I think he can be terrific.

I saw it in Larry Sanders two years ago and threw him into every fake trade I could come up with back when his stock was low. Jeff Taylor is the guy I would be trying to get my hands on now if I were the GM. Not saying he will be a quasi All-Star like Sanders, but I think he can be an amazing value on a second round contract, similar to Parsons.

Yeah I heard his national play was good. Also what do you think the odds are of us pursuing Granger in the next free agency. Seems like with George's max, Granger won't be returning. Is a homecoming too outlandish?

Kawhi Leonard for the roster as is.

Jimmy Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Yeah I heard his national play was good. Also what do you think the odds are of us pursuing Granger in the next free agency. Seems like with George's max, Granger won't be returning. Is a homecoming too outlandish?
    It will come down to money. If we want to keep Smitty's Bird Rights, it would be hard to give Granger a competative offer. Will he take a 3 year/15-19 million dollar deal? If he does, that probably means that he is coming off a poor season, and if that is the case, why do we want to add him to this nucleus?

Same goes for Deng IMO. If they play average or well, they are out of our price range. If they play poor, why would we want declining players when our team is young and growing?

Personally, I would be shocked if either is a Pelican in the future

Wish we still had Quincy pondexter.

Paul George
    Harrison Barnes
    Kawhi Leonard
    Chandler parsons

George just got 90 million. Dang.

I think that we just need a role player for the position. We don't need any quasi all-star or anything like that. I think that given who will be spending most of the time at the other spots on the floor that we would want a shooter more than anything else. I'd want a 3&D player like Dunleavy, Q-Pon, Wright, etc. Outside of that type of player I'd love MKG. If he doesn't make the leap this season you could see how the Bobcats could blunder by trading him. I don't think that Parsons, Barnes, George, Leonard, or Butler are even close to realistic options.
    I've been tryingto figure out how we get Q-Pon back and we don't really have the options for that so any of the selections being realistic seem pretty slim to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Thread Information