Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Free Agency - Sources!

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    I mean that's fine as well. I just want a standard. I'll follow either one. I voiced my opinion.

The other side of the coin, is Barbosa should be against my cap until its official so I could potentially still sign other players, right? Or does the Offer sheet count against the cap?

Either way, again is fine.
    He counts against your cap until/unless I match the offer. I agree that's unfair, but there really isn't anything I can do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    He counts against your cap until/unless I match the offer. I agree that's unfair, but there really isn't anything I can do about that.
    Okay. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    I have to extend Okafor and Jefferson after this season and possibly Livingston and or Jason Williams. I'm gonna be the first team to go bankrupt.
    I offered you the bail out package on Oak's next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    He's going to let Jefferson go before Oak.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    He's going to let Jefferson go before Oak.
    yea but Jeff couldn't give him a package anywhere near that quality.

yea but Jeff couldn't give him a package anywhere near that quality.
    Doubt he cares honestly and that just means he can prolly get jeff for cheaper.

You did, but you also know I really don't care how much I'm over the cap. I wouldn't change the Posey contract either. I wanted acquire as much depth as possible no matter how much it costs. So I was able to sign Posey, Joe Smith, Aaron McKie, and trade for Jason Williams before having to resign my draft picks. At least it will keep me successful.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Doubt he cares honestly and that just means he can prolly get jeff for cheaper.
    Its true. I really don't care. I plan on resigning Okafor and Jefferson. Jefferson's only 21. He'll get better.

anybody trying to shed lux tax salary and give up points on expirings PM me.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Has there been a decision on whether or not there will be a sim before the match deadline? If there is, I think we should at least discuss the one loophole with that.

Let's talk in hypotheticals here. I know the Hornets are over the cap... but let's say we have a GM who is 9-12mil under the cap.

Offersheet GM: Offer made, no signing -> cap = $16mil
    RFA GM: cap = $12mil

Someone signs his player to an offer sheet, and he has 48 hours to match. Before that 48 hours there is a sim in which A) there is no cap hold for the player he could or couldn't match, and B) team with the offer sheet is stuck holding onto that salary.

Offer Sheet GM: Offer sheet signed -> cap = $3mil.
    RFA GM: No match yet -> cap = $12mil

Now let's say this GM takes advantage of that scenario. He knows he's going to match regardless, but by holding out the full 48 hrs, he will be able to offer a near max $12mil deal out to another player (who could sign), and then match the offer to sign the RFA to a deal putting him over the cap.

Offer Sheet GM: Offer Sheet matched -> cap = $16mil (no players)
    RFA GM: Matches offer after inbetween sim -> cap = $-13mil (2 players, able to sign over cap)

Offer Sheet GM: loses out on 2 players (no opportunity to sign the one the RFA GM signed because of the cap hold for the offer sheet), team is now extremely crippled after missing out on what could've been the only players worth a damn at that point in the Free Agency.

RFA GM: Gets away with signing 2 players (as compared to 1 if the RFA would have offered to resign and been accepted OR if the RFA offered to resign and is declined, thus RFA GM loses bird rights and ability to go over the cap to resign).

Just saying that this hypothetical situation could arise in a few seasons with teams who may still be in the situation where they have cap space like they do now and have players coming off the books in 2 seasons (im thinking of CP3 here).

This is the major flaw and disadvantage to even offering a player that is an RFA... all the power in the RFA gm and no real pros to being the Offer Sheet GM

Didn't know if people thought this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    You did, but you also know I really don't care how much I'm over the cap. I wouldn't change the Posey contract either. I wanted acquire as much depth as possible no matter how much it costs. So I was able to sign Posey, Joe Smith, Aaron McKie, and trade for Jason Williams before having to resign my draft picks. At least it will keep me successful.
    It will get old trust me. At least the players will be young but in reality there should probably be a limited amt of max contract guys in the league once you have a player on your team that has a max contract but doesn't necessarily deserve it it sucks. If the team doesn't mesh well together it really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    It will get old trust me. At least the players will be young but in reality there should probably be a limited amt of max contract guys in the league once you have a player on your team that has a max contract but doesn't necessarily deserve it it sucks. If the team doesn't mesh well together it really sucks
    I'm sure if someone flagrently abuses it, we'll come up with more penalties but Pels78 has something like 110 points saved up for it, so i have no issue if he's paying it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    RFAs going to be a pain to go after.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    RFAs going to be a pain to go after.
    As they should be.

oh believe me I'll be sure to maximize any loophole I can.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    oh believe me I'll be sure to maximize any loophole I can.
    Yep, had you specifically in mind when I thought about this

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Has there been a decision on whether or not there will be a sim before the match deadline? If there is, I think we should at least discuss the one loophole with that.

Let's talk in hypotheticals here. I know the Hornets are over the cap... but let's say we have a GM who is 9-12mil under the cap.

Someone signs his player to an offer sheet, and he has 48 hours to match. Before that 48 hours there is a sim in which A) there is no cap hold for the player he could or couldn't match, and B) team with the offer sheet is stuck holding onto that salary.

Now let's say this GM takes advantage of that scenario. He knows he's going to match regardless, but by holding out the full 48 hrs, he will be able to offer a near max $12mil deal out to another player (who could sign), and then match the offer to sign the RFA to a deal putting him over the cap.

RFA GM: Matches offer after inbetween sim -> cap = $-13mil (2 players, able to sign over cap)

Offer Sheet GM: loses out on 2 players (no opportunity to sign the one the RFA GM signed because of the cap hold for the offer sheet), team is now extremely crippled after missing out on what could've been the only players worth a damn at that point in the Free Agency.

RFA GM: Gets away with signing 2 players (as compared to 1 if the RFA would have offered to resign and been accepted OR if the RFA offered to resign and is declined, thus RFA GM loses bird rights and ability to go over the cap to resign).

Just saying that this hypothetical situation could arise in a few seasons with teams who may still be in the situation where they have cap space like they do now and have players coming off the books in 2 seasons (im thinking of CP3 here).

This is the major flaw and disadvantage to even offering a player that is an RFA... all the power in the RFA gm and no real pros to being the Offer Sheet GM

Goog point. It needs to be matched before the next sim.

Yep, had you specifically in mind when I thought about this
    that's going to be a great FA class too, lots of good UFAs and RFAs

I like Deangelo Collins. Immediately becomes my best inside scorer. Does anyone know if he's used his free training session for his B potential? It probably has since he's been in the league for five years, but I want to make sure.

Can u still put bids in for fa's?

Balls mentioned it has to be matched before the next sim.

I disagree.

Welcome to real life NBA. The team that has the offer sheet out should and does have it count against the cap. Phoenix did when they tried to get Gordon. The major difference is the NBA's moratorium period where no one can sign til date x.

So the matching team does have the ability to sign a player under cap room then match the other team's offer sheet 3 days later.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 08-14-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I think I'm going to keep it at a 48 hour deadline to match or decline. No promises a sim will happen before or after that.

I thought about that but the problem is in the game the matching team wouldn't have a cap hold which allows the matching team to manipulate the system and sign more than they would in the real nba. If we agreed the matching team would not have that open space either then it makes sense, but sense it doesn't I can't think of a way around that.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Someone has to take the cap hit while its in limbo, makes sense to me that it's the person taking the risk.

It should be both teams.

Thread Information