Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Do you like the new UNI's?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

174 71.60%
  • No

69 28.40%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Do you like the new uni's?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    How much bigger do y'all want New Orleans to be?

I think they look great, the "New Orleans" looks a little small on the white because the gold trim around the letters doesn't stand out like it does on the Blue. I like New Orleans on both jerseys, and I think they look at lot better on Jrue and Davis than Ryno and Smith. Davis and Jrue should have came out first lol.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I just want to say these fan bases:

better not be saying ****! about our jerseys

Boring uniform. I hope they come up with a third option next year...

Quote Originally Posted by aas3452 View Post
    Boring uniform. I hope they come up with a third option next year...
    Jim Eichenhofer ‏@Jim_Eichenhofer 19h
    Pelicans will unveil alternate uniform in 2014-15 as well as a special fourth uniform in 2015-16

Happy now?

The one next year has to be mardi gras based uniforms I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    After sleeping on it and seeing that pic of AD and Jrue, they look pretty good. Unfortunately they still look like a practice jersey. Most important thing they missed is a gold piping around the sleeve. 2nd most important is to make New Orleans slightly larger. Oh well.
    Agree with this. Two very small tweaks that would have gone a long way.

Look at the lettering, it's not that big of a deal people.

EDIT: trying to make the OKC image same size but can't sorry. You can still tell the letter size on the jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    it is on the court... granted it's not in the most visible of places but on it nonetheless

edit: the NOLA Pelicans logo, however, is completely unused
    The Fleur-de-Lis Pelican?

People are so stupid.. to plain.. How is this jersey more plain then any other jersey in the NBA!? Yes the font is a bit too small but doesn't ruin it enough to hate it.. i like the jerseys.. If only this whole rebrand came with a better name

a pretty level headed review of the new jerseys: http://www.uni-watch.com/2013/08/02/...licans-review/
    (scroll about halfway down)

I thought this was an interesting point:
    Bottom line: Yes, they’re plain (but so are the Boston Celtics’ uniforms and I’ve never heard them being called “boring”)

I think they are starting to grow on me. I was luke warm towards them, but now I'm starting to like them more. They just don't stand out, but I think alot of new jerseys are starting to get pretty plain.

Quote Originally Posted by i am cow lolz View Post
    Pelicans will unveil alternate uniform in 2014-15 as well as a special fourth uniform in 2015-16

Happy now?
    When are they coming out? I guess it's the red jerseys and the mardi gras jerseys!

Sounds like many were somehow expecting the Pelicans to unveil their zany alternate unis now and their primary ones next year.

Speaking of alternates, I know there has been a lot of clamor around here for red. I do like Big Dub's mock up. But I think it would be SWEET if they were gold.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    ESPN comment quote "Nba fines New Orleans Pelicans for Jersey Flop" lol
    Excellent, ESPN doesn't like them. That means they are awesome in my eyes. And it sounds and looks like Dell and Monty concentrated on Free Agent signings and trading for All-Stars this off-season rather color schemes and fonts.

Quote Originally Posted by i am cow lolz View Post

Happy now?
    Meh... I really thought the uniform was going to match logo and color scheme from a design perspective....but I guess I was wrong.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I just want to say these fan bases:

better not be saying ****! about our jerseys
    those are some of the best threads in the league

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    The Fleur-de-Lis Pelican?
    no... the Crescent City Basketball logo... it's on the sideline opposite of the team benches at center court

a table for press and technical workers will block most people watching the game from seeing it
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by Tip-Off View Post
    Excellent, ESPN doesn't like them. That means they are awesome in my eyes. And it sounds and looks like Dell and Monty concentrated on Free Agent signings and trading for All-Stars this off-season rather color schemes and fonts.
    that's not ESPN not liking them (from a company perspective)

that's some person w/ an account on ESPN's website's opinion

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    I agree that most times less is more... but the "Christmas" uniforms the NBA came out w/ this season (the Garnett pic and the 1st Brooklyn pic)... I HATED

and having worked basketball scorer's tables before (college... but a scorer's table is a scorer's table, right?) I would have cursed the maker of those unis if I was in the scorer's position for those games

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Perhaps. But I think the point he was trying to make is that they are all even more plain than our new jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by JrueOrleans View Post
    the "New Orleans" looks a little small on the white because the gold trim around the letters doesn't stand out like it does on the Blue.
    This is a good point, and I noticed that too yesterday. From a distance, it's difficult to distinguish the gold outline of "New Orleans" from the white jersey, making the font seem smaller than it really is. They might have been better served to have the letters be gold with the outline in blue. Seems like it would pop out more.

I really don't have any complaints about the blue uniforms. I think they look great.

On a side note, a careful eye will note that the first "e" in "New Orleans" on Davis' jersey yesterday is awkwardly crooked.
    Last edited by Broadmoor74; 08-02-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

The names on the back don't match anything. They are their own color, size, font. That seems to be the case with everybody's unis though.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The names on the back don't match anything. They are their own color, size, font. That seems to be the case with everybody's unis though.
    They're using the same font for the names on the back that they used with the Hornets uniforms. Probably a coincidence, but the Saints jerseys also use a font for the name on the back that don't match anything.

I like them.

Once this team starts winning then we'll see the outsider naysayers coming around trying to act like they've always been supportive of the new agenda of this franchise going forward

Didn't read the whole thread, so this may have already been said...but the these uniforms are a nod to the Saints brand (and others) and its enduring legacy.

I would put money on it that the design team even knew the reaction would be underwhelming, if only because its so obvious that it would be. And even with that, they knew that this was the best direction to go. The main reason being an enduring, timeless legacy like the Saints brand (which hasn't been significantly altered in its entire 45+ year history).

Or the Celtics.

Or the LA Lakers.

Or the Knicks.

These franchises have clung to their timeless, classic brand imaging and have rode the different waves of trendy, ultimately short lived design fads and have profited significantly for it. No matter how fun those mid-90's throwback Grizzlies and Pistons jerseys are now, they were an undeniable marketing disaster for teams. The Pistons (and 76ers, Warriors, etc) have returned to their roots in the past 2 or 3 years. Simplicity and longevity is a winning game in sports brand marketing, proven time and time again.

These jerseys aren't about now, they are about 10-20 years from now. If this had been the rebrand in 2002 these jerseys would still look essentially the same, and our brand would have a market permeation much like the Saints. The alternates are where you can experiment with trends, fads, etc.

That being said, I really like the clean, simple look of the jerseys and in time the overwhelming majority of our fans will too.

Thread Information