Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Contention Not A Guarantee for the New Orleans Pelicans

Playoff Contention Not A Guarantee for the New Orleans Pelicans

There is a great deal of excitement following the New Orleans Pelicans these days. Free-Agency brought in former rookie of the year Tyreke Evans. The draft presented an opportunity to pick up “All-Star” point-guard Jrue Holiday. Amongst the entire buzz there remain a lot of unanswered questions.
    Positivity is something new to the reformed basketball franchise. They’ve transformed themselves with the goal of winning, not tanking in mind. However it would be unwise not to do the due diligence and breakdown just how difficult a job lies ahead.
    Fans are excited for the first time not because the offseason moves make this a playoff team, but because it could.
    Player Roles
    This team now has three guards all capable of starting. Throw in a young gunslinger and you have a minute’s conundrum.
    Aside from this, what really is the interesting*element is that Evans, Gordon and Holiday are all very similar players. They are average shooters, good ball-handlers and have the athleticism and lateral quickness to compete defensively.
    Someone is going to be the facilitator. Jrue Holiday may be able to fill this role, but does he have the technical consistency to distribute effectively?
    If we try to match players and their current game styles we can see that perhaps there’s some logic behind these moves.
    Jrue Holiday worked as the P&R ball-handler 38% of the time last season. Anthony Davis was the P&R man 24.6% of the time on offense, he was a cutter 20.6% of the time. These statistics indicate that there is a potential for synergy between their games.
    Tyreke Evans had 24% of his offense on the break, significantly more than Eric Gordon (15%) and Jrue Holiday (11%). One may attribute this to the Kings faster pace (8th), but it may be that Evans was a catalyst for this.
    Floor spacing is a major concern, especially with Al-Farouq Aminu returning. Three-guard lineups won’t be as lethal because of such a discrepancy behind the arc.
    The small-forward position has been a bit of an anomaly in New Orleans ever since the 2008 Predraj Stojakovic season. With Aminu the only true wing defender and slasher the question lies in whether the Pelicans can utilize the skills needed to stop the best players in the game. He spotted up on 22% of offensive attempts and had a disastrous 0.6 PPP, if you consider a 1 PPP an average attempt.
    When speaking with the media Tyreke Evans noted his willingness to play any role, whether it’s off the bench or as a small forward.
    For his part, the 6-foot-6 Evans, who visited Pelicans headquarters Thursday, said he has ”no problem at all” playing extended minutes on the wing instead of his usual guard spot, if that’s what coach Monty Williams needs. – Brett Martel (AP Sports Writer)
    Though one has to wonder whether it’s the right thing to do. Evans won rookie of the year as a ball-handler who posted his highest USG-rate. His Twitter bio reads as: “NBA Point Guard and Rookie of the Year, Tyreke Evans.” It begs the question as to what game-role suits him best.
    Working off the ball as a cutter will only be so valuable (he was a cutter on 5% of his possessions). He will need to improve his shooting.
    The greatest thing about the Pelicans is that there’s some time to navigate this search for team chemistry. The majority of the most talented players are under the age of 25.
    This season it will be important to establish who does what well. The responsibility lies on the players, coaches and trainers. It will take some time and so goes professional sports.
    Health
    Athletes*deal with injuries every single time they’re competing. It’s a factor that rarely gets considered in preseason assessments, unless you’re the New Orleans Pelicans.
    The past season Pelican players have missed approximately 116 games combined. If you’re planning on getting deep into the playoffs you don’t aim to play 60, 70 or 80 games but 100.
    Eric Gordon is considered the clear culprit. Many fans have been frustrated that he hasn’t played and been further enraged by his emotional fragility. While feelings don’t appear to be an issue now, Gordon still has to prove he can be a key player for the entirety of a season.*With the positive energy surrounding the team it’s hopeful that this will be the case.
    Though it is unfair to pinpoint Gordon for injury issues. Anthony Davis, Austin Rivers and Jason Smith all have battled injuries this past year. Many speculate that this is because the Pelicans training staff is extra cautious when bringing players back. But will an emphasis on winning put pressure on players to return to the lineup faster than before?
    It’s important that conditioning is a priority this season. Eating the right foods at the right time is essential for recovery. Resting is as important as training hard. Strengthening the core can stabilize the bodies’ extremities. All these things and more have to be a part of every day tasks. It wouldn’t hurt if a little luck was involved.
    Anthony Davis
    As Ryan Schwan discussed a while ago Davis is the key to everything. The teams’ success will only go as far as he does.
    The exciting part of this is that it appears this will be the case. This offseason Davis has clearly taken on a more mature role for the team, something demanded by Monty Williams.
    “I think he’s more comfortable now,” Williams said of Davis’ adjustment to the NBA. “Obviously he played well, and everybody loves him… He wants to be one of the best players in the league… He’s also more vocal, and he’s stepping out there to show our team that he’s not going to sidestep being a leader. I’ve pushed him to do stuff in his second year that he hasn’t been asked to do. And I think that’s good for him, because he’s a special player.” — Monty Williams via Jim Eichenhofer
    This is a big area of a basketball team’s ascendancy. It needs its young player to grow both on and off the floor and blossom into a superstar. Examples are guys like Kevin Durant, Tim Duncan and even Kobe Bryant.
    Davis still has things to develop on the court. He can’t create his own shot, he faces up when the post up option is available*and he*doesn’t he have the sophisticated post-game so many power-forwards have in today’s game.
    His defensive impact isn’t anywhere near its potential yet. Anticipating opponents drives and growing further into Williams’ help-defensive system is going to be fun to watch.
    The great thing is it feels like Davis is making all of this progress right now. His Team-USA scrimmage highlighted an improved jumper, better defensive instincts and a confidence only gained from playing more high-level games. He will continue to add to his repitoire and he will be the player that the Pelicans need him to be, the franchise player.
    Coaching Not Teaching
    “We’re going to be coaching more than teaching which is what the really good teams do. They coach as opposed to teaching because most of their players are reacting naturally to the game and their situation.” — Monty Williams via Joel Birgham of Hoopsworld.com
    With more talent and more experience the Pelicans find themselves at a crossroads. Prior to this off-season many saw New Orleans as a long development project. That has since been expedited. For a long time Head-Coach Monty Williams has had to sacrifice a lot for “the cause.” In other words, a gutted roster forced him to be creative, but above all it meant he had to get back to the basics.
    No doubt Williams enjoys the intricacies of the game. The aforementioned areas underpinning success have roots in coaching [maybe not health, but some may argue it does]. He is the right man for the job.
    If anyone should be excited after this off-season it should be Williams. Talent is talent and while there’s a lot of pieces of the puzzle to be put in place it’s the challenge for the coach to help complete it. It’s something he will embrace with glee, despite his Gregg Popovich impressions with the media.
    Asking questions is as important as finding answers. Everyone from the fan to the Pelicans owner Tom Benson should be excited for this teams journey over the next few years. However it must not be forgotten that the path to success is paved in hard work and the on-court performances. When people look back into history all they see is who won and who lost. This is something that the Pelicans will welcome with excitement.

More...

Hornets247 Staff
    People still work at Hornets247?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's called BourbonStreetShots now. Think it's a non-indicative name. But yeah, they're still going strong. That particular user name was never changed.

But enough of this.

I think one thing Davis needs to add or switch up is he needs to attack quicker. Don't jab and wait for the defense to bite, use his quickness to drive get around people. I like that his jumper was so silky, but I'd still rather see him work closer to the bucket. Then he can get sent to the line. And he's the difference maker. If he can improve on all of his numbers, take a major leap. Playoffs are almost a certainty. But it's no guarantee just yet.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 07-30-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Eman we need to chat, I have some real nice things going on and would love to get u down. Number 2 Playoffs and 45 wins 6 seed at worst no hype.... Pelicans Bay all day!!!!!
    YOU PLAYING BASKETBALL IN PELICAN BAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's called BourbonStreetShots now. Think it's a non-indicative name. But yeah, they're still going strong. That particular user name was never changed.

But enough of this.

I think one thing Davis needs to add or switch up is he needs to attack quicker. Don't jab and wait for the defense to bite, use his quickness to drive get around people. I like that his jumper was so silky, but I'd still rather see him work closer to the bucket. Then he can get sent to the line. And he's the difference maker. If he can improve on all of his numbers, take a major leap. Playoffs are almost a certainty. But it's no guarantee just yet.
    I would like AD to use his quickness to get around people and drive to the basket as well. But I don't want him to be doing this on too many possessions cause he would be putting himself at risk of getting more charging fouls and injuries considering his current slight build.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    in addition to our young freak of nature, we add two 23 year old all stars and you write an article arguing we won't make the playoffs...what kind of fan are you?
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    in addition to our young freak of nature, we add two 23 year old all stars and you write an article arguing we won't make the playoffs...what kind of fan are you?
    I don't know who you're talking about.

Although I think the team will make the playoffs, I certainly recognize there's nothing guaranteed. It's not like we're Miami or Oklahoma. Not yet.

They are fans while also doing their best to be objective journalists/reporters/analysts.

If we have perfect(!) health, I think we will only be pushing 45 wins. There are still significant holes and questions with this roster and a lot of it depends on continued improvement from everyone in addition to the health bogeyman.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Channel 6 news says it will have a segment concerning some of the Pels "unknown" players....curious how they show EG while stating this....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    I don't know who you're talking about.

Although I think the team will make the playoffs, I certainly recognize there's nothing guaranteed. It's not like we're Miami or Oklahoma. Not yet.
    oh sorry...his name is anthony davis. it will be a household name after our playoff run this year

I heard Chris Miles say at 6 and 10 they'll talk about some of the returning players like Rivers and Gordon.

oh sorry...his name is anthony davis. it will be a household name after our playoff run this year
    How is he a 23 year old All-Star, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    How is he a 23 year old All-Star, though?
    my quote was "in addition to our young freak of nature, we add two 23 year old all stars and you write an article arguing we won't make the playoffs...what kind of fan are you?"

tyreke evans and jrue holliday would be the two I've referenced

Tyreke wasn't an a star.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

no guarantee????
    i want my money back

my quote was "in addition to our young freak of nature, we add two 23 year old all stars and you write an article arguing we won't make the playoffs...what kind of fan are you?"

tyreke evans and jrue holliday would be the two I've referenced
    He's not an All-Star. That's dishonest.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Guess my thing with the playoffs is that I think the top 6 spots are spoken for, barring injuries/big surprises.

OKC, LAC, Houston, SAS, Memphis, Golden State. Of those teams, I could see Golden State at the most risk---Curry, as good as he is, has Gordonesque chronic ankle issues and losing him for extended periods of time drops them into the next tier.

After that, it's anybody's game, with questions abounding on the remaining rosters. So I do anticipate that, at minimum, we will "compete" for a playoff spot, as will most of these teams.

Twolves should be terrific offensively but have injury concerns with every major piece on the roster and exactly one plus defender (Rubio) and one okay defender (Pek). They should be really fun, though.

You could say the same thing about us, really, although I'm optimistic about the upgrades we have made on the perimeter defensively as that was our biggest issue last year. Jrue, Gordon, Aminu, and even Tyreke have all at one point or another been tasked with defending the other teams best perimeter scorer and have showed flashes of special talent in that role. If Monty can get them to consistently expend effort on that end and learn to play together on that end (big if), and Davis takes a step forward, we could make an enormous leap defensively. If we do, this is a playoff team regardless of some initial growing pains on offense.

Portland has a quality starting lineup and added a couple nice bench pieces in Wright, McCollum, and +/- Robinson if you believe in his talent. Again, I'm not excited about this team defensively. Lopez for Hickson is a wash and a huge downgrade in rebounding for a team lacking good rebounders. But this team was close last year through much of the season and got better.

Denver is an interesting case. A high playoff seed last year, they're the same basic thing (deep, set up to run), but minus every good defensive player on the roster (Kouofos, Iggy, Brewer), replaced an offensively brilliant head coach with a well-regarded unknown, and will be without one of their best two players for much of the season. A top-light but deep team that will take a step back; if it weren't for their excellent home court advantage, I'd place them in the lottery, but I think they probably sneak in.

I'm not a believer in what the Mavs have put together. As much as I love Dirk, and as excellent as he was down the stretch, almost every one of their players have seen better days, all of their major pieces are terrible defenders. I see them as a lesser, older version of what the Wolves have.

The Lakers have exactly two good players, and one of them is coming off a devastating injury which, even with his particular brand of being a psychopath, will be difficult to repeat his superhuman 2012. Nash was at best an average NBA player last year. They lost their only good defensive player. They employ Swaggy P and the turnover machine that is Chris Kaman. This team will be mid-lottery and could be worse if Kobe isn't back very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Tyreke wasn't an a star.
    touche.

i rephrase "we have 3 soon to be all stars. we're making the playoffs."

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Here is a very good follow-up to that piece

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...king-the-leap/
    Lol in 07-08 the 8th seed had 50 wins. It was Golden State I think.

It looks like big jumps happen when 1 of 3 things happens:

1. Major rookie impact like Bird, David Robinson, Melo

2. A superstar was hurt the year before, comes back healthy

3. A huge upgrade at PG

I would say we qualify for #3, and if Gordon really was 70% last year and is 100% this year, you can argue a dash of #2.

Also, gotta factor in that we will be trying to win every game this year. I think this was a 32-34 win team last year if winning was our top priority.

Still, a 15-20 game jump takes a lot of things going right. To me, we gotta dominate the East. Like 21-9 dominate. Do that, and I like our chances.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It looks like big jumps happen when 1 of 3 things happens:

1. Major rookie impact like Bird, David Robinson, Melo

2. A superstar was hurt the year before, comes back healthy

3. A huge upgrade at PG

I would say we qualify for #3, and if Gordon really was 70% last year and is 100% this year, you can argue a dash of #2.

Also, gotta factor in that we will be trying to win every game this year. I think this was a 32-34 win team last year if winning was our top priority.

Still, a 15-20 game jump takes a lot of things going right. To me, we gotta dominate the East. Like 21-9 dominate. Do that, and I like our chances.
    The worst thing about our chances is how freaking good our division is. 3 upper tier teams and two contenders. Very easily the best in basketball.

plus i really think utah is going to surprise some people

Thread Information