Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

the confident Contributor JOE in NO's Avatar
    Oden should be able to get more than minimum for a one year contract from a team with cap space looking to round out its roster.

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    I'm not too excited about Oden even if he signs with us. He'll most likely sign a 2 years deal with a player option. He's a stopgap at best. His agent will be looking for big money if he does well and the chances of us retaining him is really low. The best scenario is that he signs with us and we trade him at the deadline.
    Well that depends on benson. If we Sign him, it's possible we structure it as a one year deal so that we have his bird rights if he does well and wants a bigger pay day. We could go over cap to sign him as long as benson was willing to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pjk481 View Post
    Well that depends on benson. If we Sign him, it's possible we structure it as a one year deal so that we have his bird rights if he does well and wants a bigger pay day. We could go over cap to sign him as long as benson was willing to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't work like that.

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    It doesn't work like that.
    I could be wrong, but essesntially that is what we did with Aminu, gave him a one year deal. 42 mentioned we would still have his bird rights next year. I see on Larry Coon's sight that we would have to have him (oden) at least 3 years to have his bird rights, so I guess you are correct. But, why then, can Aminu get a 1 year deal and have bird rights? Is this because he was previously with us? Also, if we did the S&T with Portland (who have his rights) would we then be able to have his bird rights?

ETA: Found my answer on Coon's sight. Oden's bird rights have re-set with Portland because he has been out of NBA for more than 1 season. So, you are right, it would be hard to keep him next year if he panned out.
    Last edited by pjk481; 07-15-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE in NO View Post
    Oden should be able to get more than minimum for a one year contract from a team with cap space looking to round out its roster.
    Is that what he's looking for. Because if you run the down the list of teams, what would really be the best situation for him? He might get a bigger pay day from certain teams, but do you really want to go to the Kings, or even Dallas, Dallas is a shell of itself, a desperate shell.

He's too young to be chasing a ring in Miami, sitting on the bench mingling with a collection of has beens and young guys who never play a meaningful minute in the NBA, but still, if he has interest in Miami, then money isn't a factor.

If money isn't a factor, than this would be the best situation for him. A head coach he knows, a young dynamic core, so no pressure for him to be an impact, minutes and a potential starting spot if he's healthy, and this isn't a contender so there won't be any thoughts of releasing him or condemning him to the end of the bench, never to be seen in a game again if he's not on a contender contributing level yet.

This is the perfect team, if money isn't a factor, for him to return to the NBA with. Quality new team, coach, players, no pressure and an opportunity to get minutes and potentially a starting spot.

Agreed. I don't think money is going to be a big problem for him. What he needs right now is a good situation to show that he can still play (and eventually rightfully ask for money after that because nobody is going to give him anything long term for now). That's something we can offer him.
    The Pels definetly have arguments. Are they the one he is interested in is the real question here. Worth a shot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGoodDrew-Jrue View Post
    not sure were in the business of trading proven assets for disproven assets, even tho roberts isnt quite proven yet oden is past disproven. I'd love to sign him but only at no change to the great guard depth we have
    I wish we would focus on the small forward position instead

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    I really think Tyreke is going to play a lot of SF...

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    I really think Tyreke is going to play a lot of SF...
    our small lineup will be insane:
    jrue
    gordon
    evans
    ryno
    ad
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Can't promise you anything today, but this may be one of the only teams you have an opporunity on being on for the next 3-5 years if this play out right. You can just be a member of the Pelicans here and not have to worry about previous expectations.
    This is where I would pivot when it got down to money. Not only is this an opportunity for the present, this is an opportunity for the long term. Oden does not strike me as a mercenary who wants to go to MIA or SA to tag along on the championship ride. He want to win a ring the old fashioned way... Earn it. He also values the fan relationship and wants to settle down in one place.

All my subjective speculation, but what else you got to read right now?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    our small lineup will be insane:
    jrue
    gordon
    evans
    ryno
    ad
    Insane as in good? I agree. And it really isn't that small... Evans and Gordon both have nice wingspans, as does Anthony obviously. Anthony could get pushed around at C a little, but he'd also be way too quick for centers too. That group would be pretty dominate offensively and very underrated defensively. Only problem would be rebounding, so we'd need our guards to step up and help out.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What does him being a SF even mean? Will he be doing SF things? If he doesn't bring the ball up, does it make any difference if he's a SF or not? Will he be doing "SF things" or something?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I like that they are talking to as many free agents as they can.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What does him being a SF even mean? Will he be doing SF things? If he doesn't bring the ball up, does it make any difference if he's a SF or not? Will he be doing "SF things" or something?
    Sorry.. I think he will guard "SF".. All I mean when I use positions

About the sign and trade (I'm not on a phone, so I can type it out now).

When a team renounces a player, they are renouncing the ability to use some type of Bird Exception (full, early, non), to sign the player. Still, that player is tied to your team. This fact is why, for instance, some team with a ton of cap space couldn't do a sign an trade to send Howard out to get assets Houston. That player, Howard in my example, is still tied to the team he last played for until: he signs with a another team (not a sign and trade) or is traded (including sign and trade) FROM the team that he last played for.

There are wrinkles in there, but that's the basic idea.

The renouncing is common because the ability to use Bird Rights, like all things, comes with a cost, and that cost is a cap hold. That cap hold keeps you from using all imaginable cap room to load on free agents then to sign the guy you have Bird Rights for. You have to set aside some cap room to account for that guy.

So, the renouncing removes the positives and negatives of the Bird Exception, but it DOES NOT BREAK THE TIE WITH THE TEAM.

I know this may be clear as swamp, so feel free to ask away.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    Valid point sir.

I think it's a mix of a big name/former top prospect at a position of need combined with for once, we've made the short list of teams to meet/receive interest on a national news site.

He seems to fit along with what the culture appears to be becoming here with the Pels.
    Young vet? Check.

Potentially undervalued? Check.

Can be had on a flexible or tradeable deal? Check.

I think you have a very good point.

Greg Oden would be just the icing on the cake of such an unbelievable offseason.

Looking at the other teams, it would seem that the Pels would look the best for a guy in Oden's situation. We have our core guys and he would just be a piece to grow with the core. Greg, if you come here you can start for this team as soon as you are ready. We believe you are the missing piece to get this team to where we want to be in the next couple of seasons. As of now all we can offer you is the veteran minimum, but if you can out play the min this season we can offer you more guaranteed money next season. Look at the players you would be playing with in the front court and tell me another team that has the versatility we have here to help you succeed. What other team can offer you power forwards to play next you like Anthony Davis and Ryan Anderson? Anthony Davis can take away some of the defensive pressure you may have in the post and Ryan Anderson can open up the post for you by spreading out the defense. Can you tell me another team in the league that can offer you this situation? I don't think so Greg and we think you would look great next to these 2 and the rest of the Pelicans for years to come. We believe that your best days are ahead of you, but you will only be able to reach them in the right situation. Who offers you the right situation? Well of course it's here in NOLA. Tom Benson is a loyal owner and will reward you if you can stay healthy and contribute to what we our doing here in New Orleans. He took a chance on Drew Brees and look what happened with that chance. We believe in you Greg Oden and let us show you by signing a 1 year vet minimum deal. Monty believes in you as well and knows he can help you get to where you want to be as a big man in the NBA. Look what he did with Robin Lopez who just happens to be in Portland. Let us together show Portland that they made a huge mistake trading for Robin Lopez when they already had the better player in YOU!

him signing with us will be a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Tech View Post
    him signing with us will be a long shot.
    Yes. The only real shot would be to offer him more than another team is willing, for him to want that additional money, and for portland to want what we offer them more than what another team offers. Could happen, but the deck is stacked against at the moment.

Many things can happen in the next month or so, however.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    The only way I see us getting Greg is if Monty has a lot more pull with him than we know. Maybe he and Monty have a desire to reunite, but from that interview I read, he kind of seemed to have a little resentment towards Portland. Maybe I'm wrong, as he never straight up blamed them for anything but IMO we don't have a lot of a shot.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    About the sign and trade (I'm not on a phone, so I can type it out now).

When a team renounces a player, they are renouncing the ability to use some type of Bird Exception (full, early, non), to sign the player. Still, that player is tied to your team. This fact is why, for instance, some team with a ton of cap space couldn't do a sign an trade to send Howard out to get assets Houston. That player, Howard in my example, is still tied to the team he last played for until: he signs with a another team (not a sign and trade) or is traded (including sign and trade) FROM the team that he last played for.

There are wrinkles in there, but that's the basic idea.

The renouncing is common because the ability to use Bird Rights, like all things, comes with a cost, and that cost is a cap hold. That cap hold keeps you from using all imaginable cap room to load on free agents then to sign the guy you have Bird Rights for. You have to set aside some cap room to account for that guy.

So, the renouncing removes the positives and negatives of the Bird Exception, but it DOES NOT BREAK THE TIE WITH THE TEAM.

I know this may be clear as swamp, so feel free to ask away.
    Thanks Jason, that pretty much clears it up for me.

Bleacherreport has us as a top 3 destination for Oden.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ive-nba-career

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Marc Stein just tweeted that we are getting strong consideration from Oden, based around the pitch that he would be away from media pressure to try a comeback here and cuz of Monty connections

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post

Was just about to post this. The media are strangely hyping us as having a good shot at this and even possibly an inside track.

Could Oden be one of the "other players" Dell was eluding to during Evans's press conference?
    Jrue dat

Thread Information