Pelicans Report

Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1634

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

he comes because of the connections, money, and plan to let him grow back into the NBA.

We want him for future potential an advertising he will bring the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

If the worst case scenario is that we give him 2 years and he plays so well that he gets offers for 7-10 mil in year 3 and we lose him, that is not a bad scenario at all.
    If Oden stays reasonably healthy and plays decent basketball in 20ish minutes his second year, he probably gets MLE+ offers. Gifted 7 footers with pedigrees get paid.

Not arguing against signing Oden---I think we need to operate above cap regardless and don't think we sacrifice anything by signing him--mostly saying that the best case scenario isn't as high reward as some might think. But agreed that would be one of those good problems.

My realistic "ceiling" on Oden, year 1, 2, 4, or 7 is what Kosta Koufos did for the Nuggets last year. 8 points, 7 rebounds, 1.3 blocks in 22 minutes. Solid defense, some athleticism, etc.

If he can ever be that again, I think that would be a minor miracle.

This is why I am not as excited as some about this. If he signs, great, he is probably a little better than Withey right now. Good 5th big who could possibly become Koufos by year 2. If he doesn't sign, Withey gets thrown to the wolves a little earlier. Either way, this season lies in the hands of AD, Jrue, Monty, Tyreke, and Gordon's doctors. Even Aminu and Rivers would be bigger X factors IMO, and Smith will have a bigger impact, as will either Morrow or Miller.

It's not my money, so I am fine with our owner paying him 2.7 mil this season and possibly getting nothing from him, mostly because I don't see another center on the market better than Withey, so why not? But I view it as a slight upgrade of a 10th or 11th man. No more. And maybe an upgrade of an 8th or 9th man in year two. Maybe.
    @mcnamara247

My realistic "ceiling" on Oden, year 1, 2, 4, or 7 is what Kosta Koufos did for the Nuggets last year. 8 points, 7 rebounds, 1.3 blocks in 22 minutes. Solid defense, some athleticism, etc.

This is why I am not as excited as some about this. If he signs, great, he is probably a little better than Withey right now. Good 5th big who could possibly become Koufos by year 2. If he doesn't sign, Withey gets thrown to the wolves a little earlier. Either way, this season lies in the hands of AD, Jrue, Monty, Tyreke, and Gordon's doctors. Even Aminu and Rivers would be bigger X factors IMO, and Smith will have a bigger impact, as will either Morrow or Miller.

It's not my money, so I am fine with our owner paying him 2.7 mil this season and possibly getting nothing from him, mostly because I don't see another center on the market better than Withey, so why not? But I view it as a slight upgrade of a 10th or 11th man. No more. And maybe an upgrade of an 8th or 9th man in year two. Maybe.
    I started to calm down on the Greg Oden hype with the realization that he won't make an impact right away, if he ever does. So if we don't get him, and make no more moves I think Jason smith gets the start at the 5. Why? Because he's by far the biggest and most physical presence on the team and that's what we need next to Davis. He can also spread the floor a little and hit mid range jumpers. He's been on the team the longest and he works his tail off so I think he gets the start pending the Greg Oden signing. The Greg steimsma signing never really made sense to me you think he has a chance to start?

I agree that Smith plays more with AD and Steimsma plays with Ryno. But with AD's jumper looking much improved, I think Steimsma could start, depending on the matchup. A little bigger than Smith, so he won't get pushed around by a guy like Andrew Bogut, for instance.

I think Oden competes with Steimsma once he gets into NBA shape, which I think would take until January or so.

Withey is the best of those three if they play a team that they want to go uptempo against. He can really run the floor.

Basically, they are all middle relievers. Go with the matchup or hot hand. Give guys days to rest. Not a huge difference between the three IMO. Three middle relievers who eat up innings (minutes) and whose roles increase if they get the hot hand or if injuries occur

I'm surprised nothing leaked frm the meeting Friday. Outside of the tweet from bd.

I would like to sign Greg Oden, but that won't really change my whole evaluation of our offseason.

Fans like the potential of the unknown. For instance, writers and fans have criticized our trade for Jrue because of our inclusion of the 2014 pick (probably will end up being ~16th (which, if you have read Schwan's value of a draft pick, is not that great historically)). Regardless, a pick is a pick; and it is such an unknown commodity. Who knows, this pick COULD BE something special. That's what fans like.

Same goes here. Oden hasn't played for 4 years. Oh if he could reach his potential (from 2007)...

We can't have any expectations if we sign Oden. 4 years ago! So much has happened and changed. Who knows? He could be this great player, or he could be a zero to the left. Always expect the worst and hope for the best.

I agree that Smith plays more with AD and Steimsma plays with Ryno. But with AD's jumper looking much improved, I think Steimsma could start, depending on the matchup.
    Stiemsma's jumper isn't chopped liver, either. Besides setting screens, probably the best thing he does offensively.

I'm partial to starting Smith, just because I love the athleticism of Holiday/Gordon/Aminu/Davis/Smith. That unit can run, switch anything, double team, trap... very fun defensive lineup to set the tone, and I like Stiemsma's rim protection next to Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by jsl05 View Post
    I would like to sign Greg Oden, but that won't really change my whole evaluation of our offseason.

Fans like the potential of the unknown. For instance, writers and fans have criticized our trade for Jrue because of our inclusion of the 2014 pick (probably will end up being ~16th (which, if you have read Schwan's value of a draft pick, is not that great historically)). Regardless, a pick is a pick; and it is such an unknown commodity. Who knows, this pick COULD BE something special. That's what fans like.

Same goes here. Oden hasn't played for 4 years. Oh if he could reach his potential (from 2007)...

We can't have any expectations if we sign Oden. 4 years ago! So much has happened and changed. Who knows? He could be this great player, or he could be a zero to the left. Always expect the worst and hope for the best.
    It's really a pretty unheard of circumstance... there's no one to really make a solid comparison to. Maybe Brandon Roy? Which ended how most thought it would. Seems like Oden played it more on the careful side, but odds are clearly stacked against him. Just gotta roll the dice sometimes... look at Grant Hill after all his woes. Fact of the matter is he'll be back in the league so whether it's with us or someone else, definitely going to be interesting to follow. We have nothing to lose, so I'm hoping he comes here because I'd rather try & fail than not try at all

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Steimsma starting. He can hold his own and Smith is great bench guy because of his energy.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Maybe, but I think he can be a much better defender than Koufos. Your excitement seems to have tempered a bit since the timing when you realized we could offer more than the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    It's really a pretty unheard of circumstance... there's no one to really make a solid comparison to. Maybe Brandon Roy? Which ended how most thought it would. Seems like Oden played it more on the careful side, but odds are clearly stacked against him. Just gotta roll the dice sometimes... look at Grant Hill after all his woes. Fact of the matter is he'll be back in the league so whether it's with us or someone else, definitely going to be interesting to follow. We have nothing to lose, so I'm hoping he comes here because I'd rather try & fail than not try at all
    I agree. I'm just trying to temper some of the expectations I've seen. It's crazy. Some (on other boards) saying that he would take (insert team) to the championship is ludicrous.

When it comes down to this situation, you have to roll the dice. The odds were against Adrian Peterson, but he overcame them. The odds were against Brandon Roy, but he didn't overcome them. In this situation, you need to do what your gut says.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Maybe, but I think he can be a much better defender than Koufos. Your excitement seems to have tempered a bit since the timing when you realized we could offer more than the minimum.
    I don't think I've ever been excited, which is why I've never written an article. Honestly, I would rather give the money to Ben Udrih and sign a guy like Hamed Haddadi for the minimum as my 6th big/insurance policy.

The only reason I inserted myself into the conversation now is that I see people listing him as a starter and I wanted to try and temper those expectations before they got out of hand.

I'm not convinced Smith is a viable starter at the 5 spot. Below average rebounder and average defender overall. He does provide mid range shooting and energy which makes him better suited off the bench. I think Steisma can give the 15-20 minutes needed with his rebounding and shot blocking. He will get in foul trouble but the starting 5 won't get much minutes compared to Davis and Anderson.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I think if they have seen him workout and our still interested, then they must think he can contribute as soon as this year. I for one am seriously hoping he comes here to start, even if its not every night. I would rather have Jason Smith come off the bench, but rather him start over Stiemsma or Withey this year. Now I seriously doubt he starts from day one cause it will take a while before he is in game shape, but if he makes it that long then hopefully he will be starting.

If we are seriously trying to build a championship team, then why not fill the position of biggest need with a former #1 overall pick that isn't available because of his play but cause of his not being able to play? If he does not play at all, what do we lose? A roster spot for an end of the bench cheerleader that won't contribute anything meaningful to winning games?

whens this announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    whens this announcement?
    Reports anywhere from today - Thursday
    This team aint wining nothing with this coach, we can make all the excuses we want. Unfortunately excuses don't win games.

I don't agree that Jason Smith is an average defender. I think he's improved on that side on the ball significantly and is a plus defender---better team than individual, really great hedging and recovering on the pick and roll, doesn't generate a ton of blocks but understands rotations and generally makes life more difficult for offenses. I'm of the opinion that for most of the year, he was our best defensive player. I also believe that his shooting is more useful for spacing in lineups featuring Aminu than it would be in lineups featuring guys like Miller, Morrow, and Anderson. I don't think he is a starting center in that he should play 30 minutes per game, but I do think he's a great complement to a starting lineup of Holiday-Gordon-Aminu-Davis.

the pelicans will not have a set starting lineup, when we play the warriors then of course ull have steisma or oden starting, vs the heat, dont be surprised to start AD at the 5 and ryno at the 4. no way steisma could keep up with bosh at the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    the pelicans will not have a set starting lineup, when we play the warriors then of course ull have steisma or oden starting, vs the heat, dont be surprised to start AD at the 5 and ryno at the 4. no way steisma could keep up with bosh at the 5.
    I agree, teams such as the bucks who are quicker you could start Davis at the center against Larry Sanders. Does anybody know how many lineups we mingled with last year? I know it was quite a few with all the injuries.

You don't "go small" against MIA you'll be playing into their hands. You put your normal (big) lineup in there and punish them. Out-rebound them. Muscle them.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    You don't "go small" against MIA you'll be playing into their hands. You put your normal (big) lineup in there and punish them. Out-rebound them. Muscle them.
    This. When the Heat go small you lose, unless your team is comprised of Westbrook, Rose, Durant, Gay, and Kobe.

I love the move the Pacers made as it adds one more big to their lineup forcing the Heat to play big.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I don't think I've ever been excited, which is why I've never written an article. Honestly, I would rather give the money to Ben Udrih and sign a guy like Hamed Haddadi for the minimum as my 6th big/insurance policy.

The only reason I inserted myself into the conversation now is that I see people listing him as a starter and I wanted to try and temper those expectations before they got out of hand.
    I would much rather spend the money on Oden than Udrih. Where does he even fit on this roster? We don't have the minutes for him whereas Oden at least can take a few minutes at a position that we are not so deep at.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Thinking about how we would theoretically go small with our current team make up. Jrue, Gordon, Reke, Anderson, Davis?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Thinking about how we would theoretically go small with our current team make up. Jrue, Gordon, Reke, Anderson, Davis?
    I think a more realistic lineup if we were to go small would be Jrue, Gordon, Reke, Anderson/AFA, and davis. that's a SMALL lineup for us lol.
    Hornets fan by Birth, was attending games at 9, in 1988 when they were born. Hornets fan even when they moved. Pelicans fan die hard, Bobcats/Hornets homer.

Thread Information