Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    we've got about 5 guys on this team that can run PG and possibly none who can play the 5. disproven assets with high reward > proven asset to be a 3rd string PG in a crowded back court
    Thank you. I tried to bring up that point in another thread about moving a Roberts/Rivers/Miller if we can net something in return.

The Pelicans can offer Greg Oden and brand new start, with a brand new team, literally. Become a piece of history in the making of the New Orleans Pelicans.

Other teams can offer him a "tag-along" seat on their teams quest for a championship. They can offer him a little more money, (No one is going to break the bank for him) but in reality no one can offer Oden a commitment like the Pelicans can.

To bring him in, working him into the line up at a healthy pace, with the plan of him being the center of the future for us.

Other teams will likely be looking to sqeeze out as much as possible and often as possible to get them over the hump, and if Oden breaks down along the way he'll likely be left along side the road to the championship.

Don't forget Greg made a little money off his rookie contract, and unless he's flat borke (which would be a giant red flag to me), he may be financially able to take a contract for lesser money if its a better oppurtunity.
    Last edited by Davisistheman; 07-15-2013 at 03:13 PM.

God this is killing me. Now I want some news lol. Not fake news; I just want something positive to happen

Said don't expect a decision until August.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Said don't expect a decision until August.
    When does TC usually start? Trying to pull a Favre?

Davis, Anderson, Evans, Holiday, Gordon not enough to be happy with?

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    This offseason was so great... Greg Oden had to come along and get my hopes up lol

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Does anyone know what we offered? Just the minimum or would we try and do a S&T

I don't think anyone isn't happy with that at all.

But we're missing a true C, which Oden is.

There have been some pretty persuasive arguments made in this post too.

What gives? Can't want to be overly excited about a cheap risk for the future? This wasn't one of those Guru make believe threads at least... it has some legs.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    we've got about 5 guys on this team that can run PG and possibly none who can play the 5. disproven assets with high reward > proven asset to be a 3rd string PG in a crowded back court
    True but im tired of dealing with injury ridden players in nola. I will deal with another but im not high on giving up much for him seeming i like Smith, Steithsthtimah & Withey at the 5. Ive seen roberts do greats things I havent seen out of Miller, Henry and kinda Rivers, I say offer the minimum and a bag of skittles.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    IMO, I think the best way to get a good center and improve the team is to try on a project. We won't win it all this year, taking a risk on a guy like Oden and seeing if he can play gives up the greatest chance in the future to be great. I think players like Oden or trying to let Jeff Withey grow and see what he can become is the best option for this team for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    Does anyone know what we offered? Just the minimum or would we try and do a S&T
    He's not on a team so no S&T.
    Twitter: @TheRealPaulyP
    PR Sim League (2006-07 Season)

Oden if can best the injury big will be the best possible option next to Davis. Oden healthy is a top 5 center no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    I don't think anyone isn't happy with that at all.

But we're missing a true C, which Oden is.

There have been some pretty persuasive arguments made in this post too.

What gives? Can't want to be overly excited about a cheap risk for the future? This wasn't one of those Guru make believe threads at least... it has some legs.
    There are several questionable things here, but people can feel free to pine away for an asset as they see fit.

I think a little perspective to temper the blind pursuit of "winning" the player X sweepstakes" is also in order.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPaulyP View Post
    Think about that for a second.

Think about that for a second.
    Don't see why Portland couldn't do the S&T.

I think a little perspective to temper the blind pursuit of "winning" the player X sweepstakes" is also in order.
    Valid point sir.

I think it's a mix of a big name/former top prospect at a position of need combined with for once, we've made the short list of teams to meet/receive interest on a national news site.

He seems to fit along with what the culture appears to be becoming here with the Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Don't see why Portland couldn't do the S&T.
    I would think they renounced him within the last couple of years. Would they still retain his rights at all?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would think they renounced him within the last couple of years. Would they still retain his rights at all?
    Only pertaining article I can find says in June 2011 Portland offered Oden an 8.8 mil qualifying offer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6717753

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    That's not true... We can do a sign and trade with Portland

They still have his rights. Maybe they can't us a Bird exception to sign him, but they can still sign and trade him since they were the last team he played for if they can sign him.

They have the Room Mid-Level Exception.

They can do a Lopez style deal for two expirings, or Smith, or a pick, or some combination.
    I don't get the NBA. How can they still own his rights if they waived him? I've heard of baseball players being waived with the following words, "Joe Schmeaux was waived for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release." Is this what the NBA would have to say for Oden to be free to sign with whomever he chooses without compensation to Portland? Seems to me the team that signs Oden wouldn't owe the Blazers doodlysquat.

Couldn't we decline Roberts to make more cap available
    to Oden?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    More is better than less because if stuff is not le- if there's more less stuff then you mi- you might wanna have more and your parents just don't let you because there's only a little bit, we want more we want more, like, you really like it you want more.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Couldn't we decline Roberts to make more cap available
    to Oden?
    It would not create any more available space as we are already over the cap by more than his salary.

I'm not too excited about Oden even if he signs with us. He'll most likely sign a 2 years deal with a player option. He's a stopgap at best. His agent will be looking for big money if he does well and the chances of us retaining him is really low. The best scenario is that he signs with us and we trade him at the deadline.

Thread Information