Pelicans Report

Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

All-Star
    for Oden....FOR NAWLINS

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Using NO's offer to drive up his price.
    That's what I am worried about, that we are only leverage for more $$$ from the Heat.

I just don't know why a guy who hasn't played in 3 years is penciled in as a starter. If he signs here, expectations are going to have to get curbed quite a bit.

I say 90% chance he gets less minutes than Smith, 60% chance he gets less than Steimsma.

60 games, no back to backs. 12-14 minutes. 3 points, 4 rebounds. I think those are realistic expectations, and I would be very happy with that
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I just don't know why a guy who hasn't played in 3 years is penciled in as a starter. If he signs here, expectations are going to have to get curbed quite a bit.

I say 90% chance he gets less minutes than Smith, 60% chance he gets less than Steimsma.

60 games, no back to backs. 12-14 minutes. 3 points, 4 rebounds. I think those are realistic expectations, and I would be very happy with that
    That's a good point. That would be the smart move to take it slow with him.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

sounds like that would be handling it just like we handled EJ coming back from his injury (which I think we did rather wisely)

of course that would be for the coaches and medical staff to figure out... b/c they could see him in training camp healthy and figure he's a freakin' beast and can't keep him off the court

of course it's all contingent on him signing w/ us in the 1st place
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

I'd compare it to the Warriors & Bogut... Ezeli started the majority of the year while Bogut was out (for almost a year & a half). Oden will be penciled in to start & be the starter after all star break if all goes well IMO

I completely agree, with one caveat...I think he plays more later in the season IF he proves to stay healthy and contribute. His size and shot blocking alongside Davis makes too much sense...

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    sounds like that would be handling it just like we handled EJ coming back from his injury (which I think we did rather wisely)

of course that would be for the coaches and medical staff to figure out... b/c they could see him in training camp healthy and figure he's a freakin' beast and can't keep him off the court

of course it's all contingent on him signing w/ us in the 1st place
    Agree. I just want the expectations to be realistic. Portland fans really drove this guy into a mini depression. Not his fault that his body is what it is. I look at him as I would any other 5th big, not as a former number 1 pick

I would agree with this, if he signs with us I expect it to be a two year experiment. First year very limited with frequent checks to see how his body is reacting to the workload. Second year change minutes/workload changed based on how his body handled his first season.

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 3m
    Still hearing that Greg Oden will decide on Wednesday or Thursday. Still six teams in the hunt: ATL, DAL, MIA, NOH, SAC, SAS.
    Is it down to us and Miami? Did Aldridge not get the memo? He's still listing 6 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 3m
    Still hearing that Greg Oden will decide on Wednesday or Thursday. Still six teams in the hunt: ATL, DAL, MIA, NOH, SAC, SAS.
    Is it down to us and Miami? Did Aldridge not get the memo? He's still listing 6 teams.
    apparently he doesn't get many memos... like us becoming NOP... the New Orleans Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    ATL picked up Ayon, so they are out.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    apparently he doesn't get many memos... like us becoming NOP... the New Orleans Pelicans
    No excuse at this point. Wow.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmarzullo View Post
    ATL picked up Ayon, so they are out.
    This means NOTHING.
    The Pelicans have Smith, Steimsma, Withey and Davis who can all play C.
    Why does a team like Atlanta with only 2 or 3 centres automatically get cancelled out of the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    No excuse at this point. Wow.
    David Aldridge‏@daldridgetnt
    Right. NOP (New Orleans Pelicans).
    apparently people tweeted to correct him

edit: but to Aldridge's point... if Oden decides Pelicans on Wednesday... his introductory presser could be with the uniform unveiling at the same time Thursday

that would be awesome
    Last edited by rt0307; 07-28-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Chris Tomasson: Heat scout Tim Hardaway to FOX Sports Florida: "If we get Greg Oden, I think we will win a third (straight) title.’’

Much pressure on Oden....ya think?

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    One was me

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Chris Tomasson: Heat scout Tim Hardaway to FOX Sports Florida: "If we get Greg Oden, I think we will win a third (straight) title.’’

Much pressure on Oden....ya think?
    Yeah and Spoelstra (sp?) taking pics with the Oden and his kids was another brilliant move too.

I think that is realistic. We would be signing him for hopefully for the following year and beyond. I think it would be a given that there would be no back to backs and even 60 games may be a bit high.

If we get Oden, it wouldn't be for this year. It would be for next year (and hopefully many following that), so that's how I look at it.

I agree with bringing Oden along slowly , save him for the finals ...

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    I agree with bringing Oden along slowly , save him for the finals ...
    so he can block LeBron's dunk attempt at the buzzer that gives the Pelicans the Finals sweep

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Turn up= get excited

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I think that is realistic. We would be signing him for hopefully for the following year and beyond. I think it would be a given that there would be no back to backs and even 60 games may be a bit high.
    If it does work out, 2 years is actually a bad length. If he blows up and plays quality basketball, you don't have bird rights to keep him. If he's a player worth keeping two years from now, he'd be very difficult to keep.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    If we get Oden, it wouldn't be for this year. It would be for next year (and hopefully many following that), so that's how I look at it.
    could possibly be a very nice replacement for the pick we (probably) have to send to the Sixers.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    If it does work out, 2 years is actually a bad length. If he blows up and plays quality basketball, you don't have bird rights to keep him. If he's a player worth keeping two years from now, he'd be very difficult to keep.
    The max you can give a guy with the room exception is 2 years.

Could give him that. Then MLE in year 3 for 1 year, then have Bird rights, but I think that is getting way ahead of ourselves.

If the worst case scenario is that we give him 2 years and he plays so well that he gets offers for 7-10 mil in year 3 and we lose him, that is not a bad scenario at all.

Thread Information