Pelicans Report

Page 33 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Wouldn't quite call us "Rebuilding", but definitely not a win a championship now environment and far less pressure

Could be good news....... or could be an agent playing little agent games.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadmoor74 View Post
    Could be good news....... or could be an agent playing little agent games.
    i don't think there are many games to be played at this point... unless it's simply trying to get the Heat to offer a second year. Otherwise, contract negotiations don't have much wiggle room. These owners aren't cutting corners so I don't think guaranteed money is an issue here either

Nevermind... this guys just saying anything to make all parties happy. Here's the rest of the quote not in the tweet...

“We’ve looked at all the scenarios,” Duffy said Friday. “There might be less pressure if he tries this with a team that’s rebuilding. Then again, the quality of the medical staff will matter. Maybe a winning team has chemistry that’s good or his role would be clearly defined.”
    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...=iref:nbahpt3b

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Wouldn't quite call us "Rebuilding", but definitely not a win a championship now environment and far less pressure. It'd be a nice happy medium for Oden where he feels there is plenty of talent & a team thats still young & growing

You forgot this part:

I'm ready to get this over with... either he is or he ain't. Either way we'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    You forgot this part:

yeah.. the error of simply twitter searching "oden" non-stop

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that Marc Stein and Jeff Goodman, the ones that wrote the article about Oden's workout and his supposedly "long-anticipated" meeting, haven't followed up on this. If they have, they surely haven't written or said anything about it. The guy posted the picture of Oden on a plane heading to Vegas. He could have met with Monty and company this morning or earlier today and then Monty could have headed home afterwards. I guess the question is if they were meeting, could Greg have just met Monty and company in New Orleans? I don't know. I guess we'll know soon enough. I HOPE we know soon enough so we can move on either way.
    Yeah, not sure whether he was in Vegas or not. Another tweet said someone saw him in Charlotte airport the next morning (about 8 hours later than the first photo). I guess we will find out in due time.

article did say decision could come as early as monday so i guess that's relevant

Supposedly Odens decision is coming by Monday.

The more I think about it the more I think he goes to Miami. I thought we would be the destination cause he would not have as much exposure and his connection with Monty. But the more I think about it, he will get exposure no matter where he goes. He may feel that the bigger the city the better cause they have more high profile athletes than him and maybe he could somewhat hide easier than a smaller city. But the main reasons are:

A. The Heat already have the most scrutinized athlete on the planet in Lebron James. So therefore with everyone looking at LBJ, no one will be looking at him. They may be the most scrutinized team in all of sports already, so Oden will not make a difference either way.

B. We are still somewhat rebuilding and I highly doubt he would want to be a part of that. They are already champions, so he will not have any pressure on him to make them any better. He would rather join a team that is already contending and what team is better than the Heat. He will most likely become a champion if he goes there and he will play if healthy cause they have a hole at center.

I say if we don't get Oden and Gustavo is still available we sign him up for a year. Then next offseason we go after Marcin Gortat for about what he's making now(7.7 mil). Hopefully he doesn't get traded this year, but I highly doubt that doesn't happen.
    Last edited by RekesNotWeak; 07-27-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeWhoDat View Post
    The more I think about it the more I think he goes to Miami. I thought we would be the destination cause he would not have as much exposure and his connection with Monty. But the more I think about it, he will get exposure no matter where he goes. He may feel that the bigger the city the better cause they have more high profile athletes than him and maybe he could somewhat hide easier than a smaller city. But the main reasons are:

A. The Heat already have the most scrutinized athlete on the planet in Lebron James. So therefore with everyone looking at LBJ, no one will be looking at him. They may be the most scrutinized team in all of sports already, so Oden will not make a difference either way.

B. We are still somewhat rebuilding and I highly doubt he would want to be a part of that. They are already champions, so he will not have any pressure on him to make them any better. He would rather join a team that is already contending and what team is better than the Heat. He will most likely become a champion if he goes there and he will play if healthy cause they have a hole at center.
    if the heat don't win the championship next yr and his health plays a part in that then would he want the blame...teams in the east are getting better and he will be counted as the piece that lets them stay in top..he will get blamed

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    if the heat don't win the championship next yr and his health plays a part in that then would he want the blame...teams in the east are getting better and he will be counted as the piece that lets them stay in top..he will get blamed
    All they will be looking from him is rebounding... and tbh they won 2 championships back to back with out it... I mean imo they wouldn't be losing anything if he did end up getting hurt next season
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

If he goes to the heat he will get 100x the media attention, days in the news. Interviews. Spotlight. If he goes here he gets one slide on espn and only gets publicity if he/the team succeeds, or he injured himself

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    No freaking way! If they don't win, ALL the blame will go on Lebron James shoulders! Just like when they lost to Dallas. But if they get a healthy Oden and Wade they will win it for sure.

So if the Bulls would of lost the title after they acquired Dennis Rodman would he have gotten the blame. No way! It always falls on the #1 guy!
    Last edited by RekesNotWeak; 07-27-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeWhoDat View Post

I say if we don't get Oden and Gustavo is still available we sign him up for a year. Then next offseason we go after Marcin Gortat for about what he's making now(7.7 mil). Hopefully he doesn't get traded this year, but I highly doubt that doesn't happen.
    yeah bring me Gortat!!!!

Agent Bill Duffy declined to reveal details, but said contract talks have ranged from general conversation to more specific terms, as the teams consider both the rewards and the risks of signing a premier talent whose body, thus far, has been unable to withstand the rigors of NBA play. “Physically, he’s awesome,” Duffy said Friday afternoon. “We’re very happy with where he is. [His health and impact are] going to depend on monitoring him and his minutes.”

Money will likely be the deciding factor here, as Oden looks to maximize his earning potential just in case his comeback attempt ends up failing. But if he’s sensitive to the public perception, then maybe he will indeed look to join a smaller market team to work on returning to playing professional basketball again in a relatively peaceful environment.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...building-team/

Will money indeed be the deciding factor? If so, does the Pelicans have the best chance out of all the other persuers?

Poor writer speculation, IMO. Money obviously isn't the issue. Oden has said this multiple times - he had a bunch of offers after he was cut from Portland, but he didn't want to just collect a check. He wants to play.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Poor writer speculation, IMO. Money obviously isn't the issue. Oden has said this multiple times - he had a bunch of offers after he was cut from Portland, but he didn't want to just collect a check. He wants to play.
    This could be true but like I've said before, I don't know if I've ever seen many, IF ANY, players come out and flatly say it's about the money.

While he's made millions of dollars already, he still knows that there's a huge possibility of this being his very last NBA payday.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    monty williams is the reason greg oden will be a pelican
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    monty williams is the reason greg oden will be a pelican
    I have no idea what will eventually happen, but I do agree that Williams is one of our "selling points"....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    This could be true but like I've said before, I don't know if I've ever seen many, IF ANY, players come out and flatly say it's about the money.

While he's made millions of dollars already, he still knows that there's a huge possibility of this being his very last NBA payday.
    In the Grantland article I posted earlier he actually said that he just wants to play and that he has enough money, I'll post the exact quote maybe later(unless someone else does--hopefully lol) but basically I don't see how he doesn't come if he feels the same, plus we'll still be able to pay him good.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    There are too many good reasons for him not too come here. The culture is perfect for him, we have young talented guys that fit his age and personality very well. Monty of course and his familiarity with him is a huge selling point, the medical staff being patient and apart of Olympic team also helps a ton. The media and fans won't bother him as much, as AD even stated before that he usually gets a wave occasionally and the fans let him continue on. With other teams such as Miami or the Spurs, he'll be put in the spotlight quickly, plus can his body really last to the finals this early on if needed? In the future with those team their teams may not even be together for long(more so the Spurs) to compete at this level for much longer and that can mean he'll be in rebuilding situation anyway. With us if he's healthy we'll be contender for years ahead, and grow with him, without the possibility of rebuilding again or putting him In the spotlight too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    In the Grantland article I posted earlier he actually said that he just wants to play and that he has enough money, I'll post the exact quote maybe later(unless someone else does--hopefully lol) but basically I don't see how he doesn't come if he feels the same, plus we'll still be able to pay him good.

There are too many good reasons for him not too come here. The culture is perfect for him, we have young talented guys that fit his age and personality very well. Monty of course and his familiarity with him is a huge selling point, the medical staff being patient and apart of Olympic team also helps a ton. The media and fans won't bother him as much, as AD even stated before that he usually gets a wave occasionally and the fans let him continue on. With other teams such as Miami or the Spurs, he'll be put in the spotlight quickly, plus can his body really last to the finals this early on if needed? In the future with those team their teams may not even be together for long(more so the Spurs) to compete at this level for much longer and that can mean he'll be in rebuilding situation anyway. With us if he's healthy we'll be contender for years ahead, and grow with him, without the possibility of rebuilding again or putting him In the spotlight too soon.
    No need to post the quote. I believe he said it. Whether he means it or not is anyone's guess is what I'm saying. Even if he WAS only in it for the money, I wouldn't expect him to actually come out and say it is what I'm saying. I mean everyone thought Tyrus Thomas was an idiot for coming out and saying he was only entering the slam dunk contest for the money. LOL. You just don't expect a guy to come out and say it even if he's thinking it. By no means am I saying he's only in it for the money. I'm just saying don't expect him to say it if he actually was.

If he goes to Miami, and isn't healthy, I don't think they make the finals this year. The Nets, the Bulls, the Pacers, especially now that they got Scola, to go with David West, and Hibbert, will be too tough inside for the heat to overcome Lebron having to carry everything. Now, if they get a Oden, who can play 15 minutes a night, just to keep Chris Bosh from having to play against those bigs that the Nets, bulls, and pacers have, that would be a deluxe thing. That being said, I don't see him being that big of a factor this year.
    Hornets fan by Birth, was attending games at 9, in 1988 when they were born. Hornets fan even when they moved. Pelicans fan die hard, Bobcats/Hornets homer.

Thread Information