Pelicans Report

Page 29 of 66 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

Understand that even if he signs with us we may not see him until next season. Monty and Co will pitch to him that they'll "take their time" with him, so that may mean him sitting for a while, then only see spot duty. But I'd be happy with that... just knowing that we're still growing, and that he's growing with us.

I hope we get him because if/when that dude does healthy... guys will not get any shots off when they're anywhere near the paint with Oden and AD down there.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeWhoDat View Post
    Not sure if it was said yet in the thread, but an ESPN insider article says the Heat and Pelicans are now the favorites. So looks like we replaced the Spurs as a favorite. Hope this is the case and for some reason I think he will come to NOLA!
    Didn't see that. What article?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar

Grantland article on Oden's past injuries and personal life

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...plagued-career
    This is an excellent Grantland article, if you want get to know G.O. on a deeper level. This guy has been through some stuff, wow.

*Warning* It has some very "personal" details in the article.
    Last edited by wuggie; 07-24-2013 at 07:20 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    This is an excellent Grantland article, if you want get to know G.O. on a deeper level. This guy has been through some stuff, wow.

Thanks for sharing... this does explain alot about the dude, and I respect him more after reading that piece.

Sheez... I'm more than positive that N.O. is the place he should be. our fans will leave him alone while he's out, and we've already seen how our staff handles injured players with the way we've treated Gordon (taking it real slow with him).

Wherever he lands... I wish him well. He deserves a shot.

Our Medical staff has to be a plus for him too. We helped along Lopez who has been pretty injury prone, I believe. He played all 82 games last year. I think people forget when we picked up Lopez he was not expected to start every game or be healthy all year. That's a big draw for Oden, possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    Our Medical staff has to be a plus for him too. We helped along Lopez who has been pretty injury prone, I believe. He played all 82 games last year. I think people forget when we picked up Lopez he was not expected to start every game or be healthy all year. That's a big draw for Oden, possible.
    Our medical staff is with the USA select team too... as are a couple of our coaches. Too many good signs.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post

Thanks for posting. Makes me think we have an even better shot at landing him since he apparently hates dinners at restaurants being interrupted by autograph requests....and this week Eric Spoelstra had Oden take pictures with his kids at a restaurant. Classic.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It's in the ESPN insider rumors page. The last sentence says the Heat and the Pelicans are likely the favorites to get Oden.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    This is the same medical staff that people were calling to be fired, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    This is the same medical staff that people were calling to be fired, eh?
    got real doctors now or something
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Whatever happened to Loomis meeting with him? It does not appear he will be at the meeting in Vegas.

Who went to see him work out in Indy? Just Demps?

I don't think we know any details really

Whatever happened to Loomis meeting with him? It does not appear he will be at the meeting in Vegas.
    Really? I'd think he'd be there.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Really? I'd think he'd be there.
    WWL radio kept talking about live press conferences Thur and Fri from Saints camp with Loomis (among others).

Last tidbit of the rumor:
    Oden will likely choose the team that can pay him the most and give the oft-injured center a role without any pressure. The Heat and Pelicans are likely the favorites to get Oden.
    However a rumor on the top of the rumor rill ends with stating:
    ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman and Marc Stein reported Monday that the Spurs are considered to be the co-favorites, along with Miami, to sign free agent center Greg Oden, who is working out for the Heat as well as New Orleans and Sacramento this week.
    In conclusion, nobody knows anything.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    WWL radio kept talking about live press conferences Thur and Fri from Saints camp with Loomis (among others).
    AIRPLANE !? 2 1/2 flight to Vegas !

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    In conclusion, nobody knows anything.
    Yup!

Remember... Vegas is 2 hours behind central time too. They can meet with Oden for lunch (or earlier) and be back in N.O by 5:30. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Remember... Vegas is 2 hours behind central time too. They can meet with Oden for lunch (or earlier) and be back in N.O by 5:30. But we'll see.
    I hope there is a way for Loomis to be there. Maybe he could be there already and they could have early morning meetings before leaving for NOLA and leaving the rest to Williams/Demps. It would be ideal to have him there.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I hope there is a way for Loomis to be there. Maybe he could be there already and they could have early morning meetings before leaving for NOLA and leaving the rest to Williams/Demps. It would be ideal to have him there.
    if we are really serious about this, I would like to think that we would find a way to pull out all the stops.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    if we are really serious about this, I would like to think that we would find a way to pull out all the stops.....
    Exactly what Ramsters said. I'm not really worried because I know if we are really serious about Oden, which it seems like we are, we will figure out a way to get all the important people to meet up with him. You don't let a prospect you like a lot slip away cause you didn't bring the right guys to show support
    Follow me on Twitter: @WeAreSX2

Quote Originally Posted by SnowofSX2 View Post
    Exactly what Ramsters said. I'm not really worried because I know if we are really serious about Oden, which it seems like we are, we will figure out a way to get all the important people to meet up with him. You don't let a prospect you like a lot slip away cause you didn't bring the right guys to show support
    Mark Cuban agrees with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Mark Cuban agrees with this statement.
    oh yeah! lol

Thread Information