Pelicans Report

Page 25 of 66 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

Slow on the media front today. We are supposedly working him out today, but I guess its being kept really well under wraps.

Not looking good-

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/07...ith-spoelstra/

Greg Oden meets with Erik Spoelstra

ESPN.com reported earlier today that Greg Oden’s camp had narrowed its search down to three teams: the Heat, Spurs, and Pelicans.

Now, reports on twitter are indicating that Oden may be leaning toward signing in Miami:

Erik Spoelstra and Greg Oden met today, as the free agent center’s decision nears.

— Tim Reynolds (@ByTimReynolds) July 23, 2013

While New Orleans has reportedly offered Oden $3 million annually (about twice as much as what Miami and San Antonio would offer), the 25-year-old appears more interested in the idea of playing for a contender.

With the money saved from amnestying Mike Miller’s contract last week, the Heat, in theory, can afford to sign Oden and still save money from what they paid in last season’s luxury tax.

If Erik Spoelstra can convince Oden to sign in Miami, the Heat would potentially have the steal of free agency. Oden, if healthy, would instantly move ahead of Joel Anthony and Juwan Howard in the Heat’s big man rotation.

Scouts have remained impressed with Oden’s conditioning in recent workouts.

Now from Spears-

Marc J. Spears@SpearsNBAYahoo3 minutes ago

Free agent center Greg Oden to make decision next week picking from Sacramento, Miami, ATL, NO, San Antonio & Dallas, source told Y! Sports.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2ZuBeb8uF
    ATL???

Well I'm glad I didn't invest myself as heavily in this potential signing as I did the Tyreke one.

I'm not too confident that we'll land him given the recent turn of news.

Hope I'm wrong...

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This was always a lagniappe move. If we get him, gravy. If not, we're still golden.

does anyone actually think he'll stay healthy?
    never assume

Sheridanhoops is awful reporting. I would take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Looks like MIA will get him. Good luck to him I hope he stays healthy for his sake.

the 25-year-old appears more interested in the idea of playing for a contender.
    This is what I mean by "playing for a ring". When you want to "play for a contender" you're not willing to build something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Sheridanhoops is awful reporting. I would take everything they say with a grain of salt.
    I hope you are right Kumar!
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    No loss if we never had him. Just hope he's not in it for a cheap ring.

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    does anyone actually think he'll stay healthy?
    I am sure people who think Gordon can play 82 game (or even 60 games) in a season think he can.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    you're a cheerful spirit

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    To watch Ryan Anderson of course.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Says Ryan Anderson's stalker

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    I'm just shocked he didn't order the mods to end this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    We are only on page 24, still a lot more time for that.

Was never a big deal if we did or didn't get him. All extra stuff on the side. We are winning either way.

So now the guy who is here only because he stalks a player is trying to order the mods to ban somebody?

Some people should know their place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    So now the guy who is here only because he stalks a player is trying to order the mods to ban somebody?

Some people should know their place.
    He does, 15ft behind Ryan Anderson wherever he goes (hiding behind objects of course).

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Relax. We still sould have best offer on table. I expect full MLE, plus partial guarantee in second year. Neither Heat nor Spurs can touch that. $1-$2 million is a crap ton of money no matter who you are. He'll wait a week for the Heat to raise offer, but it's not going to happen.

I'm thinking its 50-50 between us and the heat now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Relax. We still sould have best offer on table. I expect full MLE, plus partial guarantee in second year. Neither Heat nor Spurs can touch that. $1-$2 million is a crap ton of money no matter who you are. He'll wait a week for the Heat to raise offer, but it's not going to happen.
    We don't have MLE, just a room exception (about $2.65 million).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    We don't have MLE, just a room exception (about $2.65 million).
    Sorry, it's the mini exception. Typing on my iPad in a conference so typing fast.

I'm going to wait until a reputable source can comment on his status. Maybe he does prefer contending, but I would like to hear it from a Woj or Amick type source.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    If its true that this dude wants to "play for a contender"... then I don't think money matters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    If its true that this dude wants to "play for a contender"... then I don't think money matters.
    I just have a hard time believing a guy who's missed out on so much money due to injuries is chasing a ring or wanting to play for a contender over money/length of contract. I don't buy that. I'd be shocked if he leaves any money or years anywhere. Chasing a ring is a luxury of veterans who've done everything else, Oden hasn't done anything. I just don't buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Everyone wants to play for a contender. That's a given. Everyone doesn't sign with the Heat if there is a better offer. He may sign with the Heat, but he's not going to sign for half the pay he would get somewhere else. We'll see next week.

If its about playing time you would think he'd pick us over the Heat & Spurs. Plus it sounds like we would have the most money to offer him. Looking at the rosters, he would have the best chance to start for us. Maybe we can talk him into taking a one year deal with the Heat, get his ring, and then sign on with us long term! lol! The only problem with that, is if he has a good, healthy year, his price tag will go WAY up!

Pels:
    C: Oden / Smith / Stiemsma / Withey
    PF: Davis / Anderson

Heat:
    C: Bosh / Anderson / Oden / Anthony
    PF: Haslem / Lewis / Howard

Spurs:
    C: Splitter / Oden / Bonner
    PF: Duncan / Diaw / Pendergraph

Thread Information