Pelicans Report

Page 22 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Right but that plus the physical should all be done after the signing.
    You're going to have to explain your logic on this one. Both after the signing? Seriously?

That's kinda like agreeing to buy ocean front property before finding out for sure if it's on the ocean.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Examining his medical records better not be done after the signing. That's how you assess the risk and determine how much and how long you're willing to offer.
    Look at the reports, it is already out there how much/long we are going to offer. We have been interested in him for at least a week, our medical staff is not just sitting there and waiting, they have already been doing their HW. By the time he chooses a team I would be surprised if that team hasn't already done all of their research.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    You're going to have to explain your logic on this one. Both after the signing? Seriously?

That's kinda like agreeing to buy ocean front property before finding out for sure if it's on the ocean.
    Have you seen any trade that has failed because of a physical? Yeah that happens afterwards. Transactions, whether it be via trade or signings are ALWAYS contingent on a physical. See the Tyson Chandler/OKC "trade".
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-22-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Look at the reports, it is already out there how much/long we are going to offer. We have been interested in him for at least a week, our medical staff is not just sitting there and waiting, they have already been doing their HW. By the time he chooses a team I would be surprised if that team hasn't already done all of their research.

Have you seen any trade that has failed because of a physical? Yeah that happens afterwards. Transactions, whether it be via trade or signings are ALWAYS contingent on a physical. See the Tyson Chandler/OKC "trade".
    Because the medical staff's first chance to look at the player is after the trade. Not with free agents. Iirc, Dallas just recently had an offer to a player but pulled the offer after he failed a physical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

They're all pending physicals.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Because the medical staff's first chance to look at the player is after the trade. Not with free agents. Iirc, Dallas just recently had an offer to a player but pulled the offer after he failed a physical.
    Exactly they had an offer to the player. Signings are no doubt contingent on physicals and doctor opinions. The point is I wouldn't worry about the physical part before we give him an offer I'd worry about what our medical staff thinks. And IMO that shouldn't take weeks after Oden's decision is made.

I have a feeling they are going to give him the Perry Jones/Andrew Bynum timeline: Two years and his knees will give out... I hope that is not the case

Those are rumors, not actual offers. They could easily be leaked by the agent to drive up offers or by the Pelicans to make competing teams think guys like Dalembert and Camby are better options. Even if it's accurate, it still could easily be an "if his health checks out we'd be willing to offer $3 million" His agent certainly doesn't think an offer is coming before the medical evaluation.

Chris Tomasson @christomasson

Greg Oden agent Mike Conley said likely will be few weeks before Oden picks a team Interested teams must continue to sift through medrecords

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Those are rumors, not actual offers. They could easily be leaked by the agent to drive up offers or by the Pelicans to make competing teams think guys like Dalembert and Camby are better options. Even if it's accurate, it still could easily be an "if his health checks out we'd be willing to offer $3 million" His agent certainly doesn't think an offer is coming before the medical evaluation.
    I don't how how you are reading it but to me that looks to 2 separate sentences Oden may take a while to pick a team. Medical teams should continue to look through the records. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Right but that plus the physical should all be done after the signing.
    Nope. Dell and Loomis are smarter than that. Gotta do your homework before making an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    Nope. Dell and Loomis are smarter than that. Gotta do your homework before making an offer.
    Please read the previous posts on this page. No one said we are not doing our homework.

Greg Oden will workout for the Heat, Pelicans and Kings this week, and the Spurs and Mavericks also remain in contention to sign him.
    The Mavs still want him despite recently signing Samuel Dalembert, and the Pelicans are trying to sell him on the notion of a low-pressure comeback out of the media spotlight, but ESPN.com refers to Miami and San Antonio as the "co-favorites" at the moment. The Kings, on the other hand, are described as a "longshot."
    Related: Mavericks, Heat, Pelicans, Spurs, Kings
    Source: ESPN.com Jul 22 - 3:09 PM
    This team aint wining nothing with this coach, we can make all the excuses we want. Unfortunately excuses don't win games.

Basically we're hearing a lot of the same stuff from different 'sources'.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/94...at-sources-say

^^

Sources told ESPN.com on Monday that the Miami Heat, New Orleans Pelicans and Sacramento Kings will all send representatives this week to watch Oden work out in person.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Annoying that we never get any specific dates or times.

Those articles also mention the heat and spurs being the front runners for him.

Honestly if he ends up being healthy and chooses the Heat or Spurs it would be fairly upsetting and sour an otherwise great offseason.

The one big weakness the Heat would have would be eliminated if Oden is healthy finally.

Nevertheless I would still be happy that Dell is making the pushes he is and this whole offseason has really turned me into a believer of Dell as a GM, despite my draft day uncertainties.

RT @SpearsNBAYahoo: Just Kings & Pelicans scheduled to watch injury-riddled free agent C Greg Oden workout & rehab in hometown of Indy Tuesday, source tells Y!

Finally. A date. Hope we get some more media presence there. Get some vid maybe. See what kinda shape he's in.

I'm curious to know who they're sending to Indy to look at him. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Finally. A date. Hope we get some more media presence there. Get some vid maybe. See what kinda shape he's in.
    They probably won't allow cameras and such just to keep everything under wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    Not Monty or Ishop. Pretty sure Dell and Loomis. Hopefully Drew!

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Those articles also mention the heat and spurs being the front runners for him.

Honestly if he ends up being healthy and chooses the Heat or Spurs it would be fairly upsetting and sour an otherwise great offseason.

The one big weakness the Heat would have would be eliminated if Oden is healthy finally.

Nevertheless I would still be happy that Dell is making the pushes he is and this whole offseason has really turned me into a believer of Dell as a GM, despite my draft day uncertainties.
    It is just nice and a major stepping stone to be mentioned along with those two franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    Monty is pre-occupied. Probably will be Demps and some other officials and assistant coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Monty is pre-occupied. Probably will be Demps and some other officials and assistant coaches.
    Yeah, we know it won't be Monty. You're right. Probably Demps. And hopefully some assistant coaches. I think Ayers works with our bigs so hopefully he can take a peek at him as well.

RT @SpearsNBAYahoo: Grizz G Mike Conley said after @usabasketball practice that old prep teammmate Greg Oden has looked good in summer workouts but no 5on5 yet.

I wonder if Conley would honestly say if Greg DIDN'T look good though.

Thread Information