Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

Did they ever say what day next week that we are actually meeting with Oden??

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Tech View Post
    Did they ever say what day next week that we are actually meeting with Oden??
    They just talked about it on the summer league game but I didn't catch the day they were meeting with him.

Did inference we are going to be aggressive with it and try and sell him on not having the spotlight on him and bringing him back slowly. Something we can offer that the other two can't. Miami will probably thrust him out there with heavy minutes pretty early and San Antonio will have a lot of expectations and focus on him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    They said "later this week."

So few of us were having this discussion over in r/capology and some guy asked Larry Coon about what we learned in the BSS article. Here was the conversation exchange:

NBA Buzz
    Latest NBA Offseason news - Brought by NBA Insights:

- The Dallas Mavericks have an offer in place for Leandro Barbosa, and are the leading candidate to sign Barbosa.
    - The Houston Rockets are the leading candidate to sign Marcus Camby.
    - The New Orleans Pelicans are set to offer Greg Oden a 2-year contract.

‪#‎Haider‬

Just copy and pasted that from the NBA Buzz page on facebook...

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Rockets are signing ANOTHER Center lol

Surely this means they will still try to sign Oden.
    In Dell we trust

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Rockets are signing ANOTHER Center lol
    Morey is denying it, but they're very likely to trade Asik. Camby leaves them with a legit backup if they choose to do so.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post
    Morey is denying it, but they're very likely to trade Asik. Camby leaves them with a legit backup if they choose to do so.
    True dat, they just need to find a trade partner haha

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    True dat, they just need to find a trade partner haha
    They will they just are waiting for the right one. They are doing all the classic things. Saying they don't have any plans to trade him, bringing in another back up at that position. I expect he'll be traded before the season starts.

slow day with news and updates

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I heard a while ago today Sam Mitchell, make the most rediculous statement. (paraphrasing) 'If Greg Oden signs with the Heat or the Spurs it shows he's ready to play, his body is good. If he takes a two year deal from the Pelicans then he isnt ok. Why would you pass up a chance to win a title unless your body isnt ok.'

Dumb on so many levels

#1 He is going to sign where HE is comfortable.
    #2 He is going to try and get some sort financial security
    #3 Since when do guys sign places based off their health? Wouldnt playing time, money, roster, coaching all come into play before that?
    #4 If he wants to go unnoticed and not have a lot of fan fare, he wouldnt got to Miami. Spurs? Yes, not the Heat.

I feel like its the exact opposite. If he goes to them he doesn't want to play much, but wants on a title team

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I mean. It shows why Mitchell is commentating on Summer League games instead of coaching.

You'd think signing to a team with an obvious need at center like us would mean he's ready to play. But signing with Miami who can make do without any center unless they're playing the Pacers, shows he needs more time and just wants to coast to a title.

You can take his signing here or there whatever way you want really.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    I heard a while ago today Sam Mitchell, make the most rediculous statement. (paraphrasing) 'If Greg Oden signs with the Heat or the Spurs it shows he's ready to play, his body is good. If he takes a two year deal from the Pelicans then he isnt ok. Why would you pass up a chance to win a title unless your body isnt ok.'

Dumb on so many levels

#1 He is going to sign where HE is comfortable.
    #2 He is going to try and get some sort financial security
    #3 Since when do guys sign places based off their health? Wouldnt playing time, money, roster, coaching all come into play before that?
    #4 If he wants to go unnoticed and not have a lot of fan fare, he wouldnt got to Miami. Spurs? Yes, not the Heat.

While the separation between big market teams and smaller market teams is still an issue that the NBA has yet to figure out (unlike the NFL, where the Saints, Colts, and Packers can enjoy as much popularity as the teams in bigger markets), I don't see a correlation here.

I MIGHT agree if Oden were a top-level player in the League, but he's not. In fact, I'd make the argument that he'd endure much more scrutiny and pressure to perform on a team that is built now to compete for a title. And that a signing with a team like the Pelicans would be much more attractive in that it'd allow him to get back into the swing of things without feeling pressure to out-do his draft selection.

But Mitchell's opinion is not surprising as there are countless media members who feel that the NBA is a 6 or 7 team league, and the rest are the minor leagues.

Thankfully, Tom Benson has provided resources and an ambition to compete with the big boys, no matter what. He's tasted success at the highest level with the Saints and apparently doesn't view the Pelicans as just a side toy.

On a side-note, although the Pelicans re-brand as been almost universally ridiculed in the national media, you can bet your bottom dollar that the powers that be within the Pels organization have not shied away from the new name; and have used it to their advantage. Instead of trying to lure players to New Orleans by presenting an opportunity to join an organization in the middle of a rebuild, they're likely out there pitching the brand to players as a start of something great. New owner, new look, new practice facility (rumored to be the biggest in the NBA), new attitude.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

Mitchell did speak highly of the pelicans and especially the moves Demps has made

Sent via Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Mitchell did speak highly of the pelicans and especially the moves Demps has made

Sent via Tapatalk
    That's irrelevant. It's the thought that Oden's level of health can be discerned by whether he signs with a team that was in the finals or a team that is trying to make its mark in the league. It's an unwise assumption IMO.

For all those national media types who ridiculed Pelicans as a mascot

Yes! It looks like that Pigeon is alive and kicking in there.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    it looks like Oden is our primary target, but I also see that Bernard James was waived by the Mavs.....any thoughts here?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Oden would sell more tickets even if he doesn't play so I'd go with Oden.

If we sign Greg Oden, we will have some serious length on the roster:

C: Greg Oden 7'0"
    Jason Smith 7'0"
    Greg Stiemsma 6'11"
    Jeff Withey 7'0"

PF: Anthony Davis 6'10"
    Ryan Anderson 6'10"

SF: Tyreke Evans 6'6"
    Al-Farouq Aminu 6'9"
    Darius Miller 6'8"

SG: Eric Gordon 6'3"
    Anthony Morrow 6'5"

PG: Jrue Holiday 6'4"
    Austin Rivers 6'4"
    Pierre Jackson 5'10"
    Brian Roberts 6'1"

Even if Tyreke doesn't start at small forward, I still list him there cause I believe he will get his most minutes from there. I hope we start him there for the first home game, so he gets announced with the other starters. I would start Ryno too for that game if we don't sign Oden, just to get the Arena hyped opening night!

If we sign Oden and he's healthy playing 20+ mins along with eat of the team healthy were are serious. If all comes together with team jelling and like I said overall health then we are a championship team now and I the future. Oden is very similar player to Marc Gasol which is huge. We will have a monster in the middle when healthy can be the best center in the NBA. I have always been a fan of his and felt horrible for the guy when nothing was his fault just horrible luck. If Grant Hill can play until he's 40 then Oden can until he's 30 atleast.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Oden would sell more tickets even if he doesn't play so I'd go with Oden.
    oh, I was not suggesting James instead of Oden....just curious as to what others might think if we swing at Oden and miss...

Quote Originally Posted by Broadmoor74 View Post
    That's irrelevant. It's the thought that Oden's level of health can be discerned by whether he signs with a team that was in the finals or a team that is trying to make its mark in the league. It's an unwise assumption IMO.
    Well said. It's crazy illogical to make that assumption.

Thread Information