Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fan View Post
    If he takes the minimum for 1 year, can they use the full MLE on him next year? So basically tell him (no illegal Boozer promises): "If things work out, you will play for three years, get about 1 mil for year one and 5-6 mil for years 2 and 3, then we will have your Bird rights to bring you back for silly money after that."??
    If we signed him to a 1 year deal this year, I think we get his Bird Rights next off season, so we could sign him to a $5 mil/year deal with out having to use the MLE. Not 100% positive, but I think that's how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    The least destructive option would be to cut Roberts/Miller/Thomas on top of finding someone to take Jason Smith. That's worth it if you had any degree of certainty that Oden was healthy, but if that were the case then Oden could probably get more than $3 million.
    That's a question of whether you'd give up the sure thing in Smith for Oden's potential. That, of course, is debatable. No question.

Roberts is our 6th guard, Miller is essentially our fourth option to get SF min behind AFA Evans and Morrow, Thomas is all but the last guy on the roster. All of those guys are fairly replaceable; you don't turn down a move based on those guys. Smith is better than that, and he'd be the guy to weigh here.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Trading Jason Smith and renouncing guys like Darius Miller and Roberts, who to this point is probably our sixth guard, isn't "blowing up the roster." That's being a bit dramatic.
    Over dramaticized or not, the point I was making was that going for is as it stands right now, Jason Smith is better than G.O. Miller is up and coming and plays with energy, though by what Ive read on here he isn't having a great SL. And Roberts will probably be one of our best bargaining chips toward the trade deadline...From a business standpoint, doing all three of those things to acquire a 7'0 stained glass window is kind of lacking...

I wouldn't give up Smith he's too much of an energy guy to give up just based on potential
    Follow me on Twitter: @WeAreSX2

Quote Originally Posted by NOSportsFan View Post
    Over dramaticized or not, the point I was making was that going for is as it stands right now, Jason Smith is better than G.O. Miller is up and coming and plays with energy, though by what Ive read on here he isn't having a great SL. And Roberts will probably be one of our best bargaining chips toward the trade deadline...From a business standpoint, doing all three of those things to acquire a 7'0 stained glass window is kind of lacking...
    Fair enough

To add another player to this list...Houston waived their D-League center Tim Ohlbrecht, from Germany...Looking at the D-league stats on his bio from NBA.com, he posted 13.4 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 1.1 spg, 1.6 bpg, with a FT% of .811 in 26.6 mpg. If we're looking at potential, why not look at someone who's 6'11, 255 lbs and roll the dice on new potential?

Did Oden got to Germany for the secret bear stem cell injections to his knees like Kobe?

To add another player to this list...Houston waived their D-League center Tim Ohlbrecht, from Germany...Looking at the D-league stats on his bio from NBA.com, he posted 13.4 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 1.1 spg, 1.6 bpg, with a FT% of .811 in 26.6 mpg. If we're looking at potential, why not look at someone who's 6'11, 255 lbs and roll the dice on new potential?
    Olbrecht was picked up by Philly today, per Woj.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    He's been goin through some deep "Yoga like" workouts that strengthens your legs, tendons and stuff. It's very underrated for athletes with bad leg, knees etc. it's sorta a miracle for with it can do, so I don't rule out of him becoming a 10-18 minute guy with his big frame.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smow- View Post
    ಠ_ಠ
    Haha I thought somebody would somehow reference that, so I took the wind out of their sails and said it first.

Quote Originally Posted by whodat504 View Post
    Olbrecht was picked up by Philly today, per Woj.
    Well scratch that idea...Too bad...Watched youtube highlights of this kid...Looked decent.....

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    He's been goin through some deep "Yoga like" workouts that strengthens your legs, tendons and stuff. It's very underrated for athletes with bad leg, knees etc. it's sorta a miracle for with it can do, so I don't rule out of him becoming a 10-18 minute guy with his big frame.
    A la Emeka Okafor....

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    A la Emeka Okafor....
    It worked for him didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    It worked for him didn't it?
    Absolutely. I know a little bit about yoga and I don't see why a lot of athletes don't do things like it. When you said that it reminded me of Mek doing that and one of his coaches (can't remember who) making fun of him for it. Dude's extremely healthy because of it.

Ok....Here's one more C , after looking at who is left according to NBA.com, we should at....Byron Mullins. 4 years in league. 7'0 275. Last year, in26.9 mpg, avged 10.6 ppg and 6.4 rpg , along with almost 1 bpg and 1 spg. Didn't receive a qualifying offer from Charlotte, and no news has been posted about anyone signing him....Looking at his career progression, with more minutes, his offense has improved, albeit with a lower FT %, but for someone to come in and play for 10-15 mins, why not?

Ok....Here's one more C , after looking at who is left according to NBA.com, we should at....Byron Mullins. 4 years in league. 7'0 275. Last year, in26.9 mpg, avged 10.6 ppg and 6.4 rpg , along with almost 1 bpg and 1 spg. Didn't receive a qualifying offer from Charlotte, and no news has been posted about anyone signing him....Looking at his career progression, with more minutes, his offense has improved, albeit with a lower FT %, but for someone to come in and play for 10-15 mins, why not?
    Terrible player. Basically a C who want to shoot even though he can't shoot. Look at FG%. He also is not a good rebounder and bad defender. Pass.

On Byron Mullens. I watched a ton of him last year, I watch a lot of the Bobcats games. He is beyond useless. As PelicansFan said, he is a terrible rebounder, and a bad defender, and this past year, he had a terrible habit of doing nothing on the offensive end, but shooting 3's. And as for Oden. Rumor is that he will choose between the Spurs, and Heat, but, lets just say he were to choose us. There is no way in hell I would get rid of Jason Smith, who does all the dirty work, and is one of the best spot up bigs in the league, to take a chance on Oden. I think in that scenario, Lance Thomas would be the odd man out, as Jason Smith can play the 4, or 5.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick91579 View Post
    On Byron Mullens. I watched a ton of him last year, I watch a lot of the Bobcats games. He is beyond useless. As PelicansFan said, he is a terrible rebounder, and a bad defender, and this past year, he had a terrible habit of doing nothing on the offensive end, but shooting 3's. And as for Oden. Rumor is that he will choose between the Spurs, and Heat, but, lets just say he were to choose us. There is no way in hell I would get rid of Jason Smith, who does all the dirty work, and is one of the best spot up bigs in the league, to take a chance on Oden. I think in that scenario, Lance Thomas would be the odd man out, as Jason Smith can play the 4, or 5.
    THIS!! I love Thomas but if we could get Oden by dropping him I'd be fine with it

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    If we signed him to a 1 year deal this year, I think we get his Bird Rights next off season, so we could sign him to a $5 mil/year deal with out having to use the MLE. Not 100% positive, but I think that's how it works.
    You do not get Bird rights until the 3rd year. So, if we sign him and he plays well, we would have to use MLE on him or cap room
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You do not get Bird rights until the 3rd year. So, if we sign him and he plays well, we would have to use MLE on him or cap room
    Thanks Mike. I'm still confused though. If you don't get BR until the 3rd year, then why can we re-sign Aminu, when he was technically an UFA? Doesn't that constitute as a new contract, so it would only be 1 year?

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Thanks Mike. I'm still confused though. If you don't get BR until the 3rd year, then why can we re-sign Aminu, when he was technically an UFA? Doesn't that constitute as a new contract, so it would only be 1 year?
    I think because we never gave up his bird rights in a trade to another team we still hold Aminu's rights.
    I think???

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I think because we never gave up his bird rights in a trade to another team we still hold Aminu's rights.
    I think???
    That makes sense. On a side note, I think we signed Stiemsma to cap space, so do we still have our room exception? It would make the rumors that we're offering Oden close to $3 million makes sense, because the room exception is something like $2.7 million.

Thomas , meanwhile, was waived by the Pelicans last Wednesday to clear salary cap space for the franchise to sign center Greg Stiemsma. If the Pelicans had not waived Thomas, he would have been guaranteed to earn $884,293 this upcoming season.
    http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...medium=twitter

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fan View Post
    Did Oden got to Germany for the secret bear stem cell injections to his knees like Kobe?
    you know I've been saying they must be doing stem cells in germany, because the players travel there to get procedures done that the media will never give details on
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    all the byron mullen talk...nah...how about daniel orton? watched him summer league, he looks like a monster

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    all the byron mullen talk...nah...how about daniel orton? watched him summer league, he looks like a monster
    we'd really have calipari in our corner if we got orton, but if its not Greg i think we'll sit tight at C

Thread Information