Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Andre Iguodala opts out

Andre Iguodala opts out

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nu...180030078.html

Denver Nuggets forward Andre Iguodala has decided to opt out of the final year of his contract and enter free agency, Yahoo! Sports has learned

Not suprising, but I know there has been alot of Iggy talk lately.

"After superstars Dwight Howard and Chris Paul, Iguodala will be a target for several teams, including the Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets, Detroit Pistons and New Orleans Hornets, league sources said."
    -Yahoo!

Make it happen

Quote Originally Posted by jsl05 View Post
    "After superstars Dwight Howard and Chris Paul, Iguodala will be a target for several teams, including the Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets, Detroit Pistons and New Orleans Hornets, league sources said."
    -Yahoo!
    Who?

This feels familiar if we sign him (think Peja).

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

IGGY IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY HE WILL GET.

As long as we don't have to pay iggy more than 10 mil a year it would be a steal. But I don't think he will be had for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by METRY MIKE View Post
    IGGY IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY HE WILL GET.
    He is for a contending team, NOT for a rebuilding team. (Hint: we are a rebuilding team.)

Quote Originally Posted by jsl05 View Post
    He is for a contending team, NOT for a rebuilding team. (Hint: we are a rebuilding team.)
    He *could* also be for a young rebuilding team in desperate need of some Veteran Leadership.

I know I am in the minority here, but I would spend all our space on him, especially if we take Saric. Then I would sign Anthony Morrow with the room mid-level. Iggy can change the culture here and make winning something we expect, not something we hope we can do. That is invaluable for young guys. Then, when Saric comes over, he comes into a team that inspects to win and he learns from Iggy like West learned from PJ. We still wouldn't be great next year, likely picking 10-13th where we can still get quality.

People seem to think that you need to draft high to get great players, but don't you find it strange that guys like Norris Cole and Jimmy Butler become good despite being taken in the late 1st? Did every other team miss on them, or did they succeed because they went to winning teams that held them to a higher standard? Would Jimmy Butler have played like that in Sacramento? I don't think so.

Get good players in here, make winning a part of your culture, have high expectations, and your players will flourish, whether you are picking #1 or #57. That is the San Antonio way
    @mcnamara247

Room mid level or apron?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I know I am in the minority here, but I would spend all our space on him, especially if we take Saric.
    You would spend 15 million dollars a season on Iggy (we'll have 15 if Saric doesn't come over, right?).

I don't think he should be getting anywhere near that for his age and production. 10-12 TOPS is what he should be getting paid.

Get good players in here, make winning a part of your culture, have high expectations, and your players will flourish, whether you are picking #1 or #57. That is the San Antonio way

Honestly i've been saying it since Monty got here... Iggy is the perfect fit imo. (of course i get flamed every-time i bring it up)

I would give him two offers:

3 years - 45 million or 4 years - 52 million

We might have a little left over, but all the space would be gone for all intents and purposes.

But I thought Iggy was a declining player? Didn't he disappoint expectations at Denver? Am I missing something?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I will point out that Ig has averaged 14.1, 12.4, 13.0 PPG the last few seasons. His 3P% was 31.7% last year. His FT shooting has dipped each of the last 3 years, all the way down to 57% last year.

He is a player that is entirely dependent on athleticism and defense, and he's about to turn 30. In 2-3 years when this team is ready to really compete, when his athleticism should be dropping off.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    I will point out that Ig has averaged 14.1, 12.4, 13.0 PPG the last few seasons. His 3P% was 31.7% last year. His FT shooting has dipped each of the last 3 years, all the way down to 57% last year.

He is a player that is entirely dependent on athleticism and defense, and he's about to turn 30. In 2-3 years when this team is ready to really compete, when his athleticism should be dropping off.
    I get that, but I look around and can't find many 23-26 year old free agents or trade targets that will really help this team win and that players in the locker room will respect the way they respect Iggy. My thinking is that if he declines 15% by year 3, Saric picks up that slack and then some. AD, Rivers, and Gordon are better players for having played with Iggy and having played in important games over that span vs. a scenario where they were playing in meaningless games every March.

There are reasons not to want every FA in this class, but I don't think we can just wait for the perfect FA and end up with nothing like the Kings do every year. I don't think we will even be ready to really contend in the next 3 years, so I would give Iggy the contract to help build the culture and show AD we are serious about building a winner. Our real window will be in AD's second contract, but we gotta get him to sign it first

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    But I thought Iggy was a declining player? Didn't he disappoint expectations at Denver? Am I missing something?
    he was absolutely incredible in the playoffs

Well that's when his contract runs out as well... I think he'd be a stop gap for saric is what he's saying.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    I know I am in the minority here, but I would spend all our space on him, especially if we take Saric. Then I would sign Anthony Morrow with the room mid-level. Iggy can change the culture here and make winning something we expect, not something we hope we can do. That is invaluable for young guys. Then, when Saric comes over, he comes into a team that inspects to win and he learns from Iggy like West learned from PJ. We still wouldn't be great next year, likely picking 10-13th where we can still get quality.

People seem to think that you need to draft high to get great players, but don't you find it strange that guys like Norris Cole and Jimmy Butler become good despite being taken in the late 1st? Did every other team miss on them, or did they succeed because they went to winning teams that held them to a higher standard? Would Jimmy Butler have played like that in Sacramento? I don't think so.

Agree 100%! I'm tired of fans keep saying, "tank and go after Wiggins," and this happens year after year. Who actually wants to lose? We have our key pieces here for the future now lets focus on them getting better and actually winning games.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I would like to pay Iguodala at around 12-13 million per year, but if going an extra 1-2 million is the difference between getting him and not, I don't see how you can pass up. The number of years is what's really important. 3 years is ideal, 4 years is most likely manageable, 5 years is horrendous. Peja was signed for 5 years. Peja could still play at a high level but his injuries derailed him. Iguodala is one of the most durable players in the NBA and takes tremendous care of his body. I wouldn't expect his body to break down like Peja's did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    I would like to pay Iguodala at around 12-13 million per year, but if going an extra 1-2 million is the difference between getting him and not, I don't see how you can pass up. The number of years is what's really important. 3 years is ideal, 4 years is most likely manageable, 5 years is horrendous. Peja was signed for 5 years. Peja could still play at a high level but his injuries derailed him. Iguodala is one of the most durable players in the NBA and takes tremendous care of his body. I wouldn't expect his body to break down like Peja's did.
    Well the good news is that because of the new CBA, we can only give him 4 years, unless we do a sign and trade with Denver.

3 years would be ideal IMO, because that would give us a ton of flexibility that summer with Gordon, Anderson, and Iggy all coming off the books (maybe EG opts out the year before).

Here's my problem. That team was almost exactly the same as last year's team, except that Iggy was there instead of
    Gallinari; but he didn't get them to that next level in the playoffs. I picked Denver vs San Antonio at the beginning of the season in the WCF largely because of Iggy. I'm not spending $15 million/year to provide leadership and not be a part of this team in the future.

I'd rather spend $854,000 on guys like Mason to be leaders and let the young guys learn from them to become eventual leaders.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar

Look who's sitting together

I'm going to pass, Remember when we drooled over him? How did that turn out?

Thread Information