Pelicans Report

Thread: Wait and trade Gordon for 2015 pick

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Wait and trade Gordon for 2015 pick

I want Gordon gone sooner rather than later, but what if Dell says to Gordon "show up healthy and motivated, and we'll trade you at the deadline."

Could/Would Pelicans be able to get a 2014 pick and an expiring for Gordon?

A pick or prospect and expiring contracts is pretty much what I think his value is, so by waiting do we theoretically get more because we get a pick in a better draft.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's what DellMonty holds out for.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 06-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.

what kind of pick are we talking here?
    never assume

Much rather a 2014 pick.. cannot be bothered rebuilding for another two seasons

We need a player like Gordon playing at the level that he's capable of if we want to be legitimate contenders two years from now. I still don't think he was in game shape last season, as evidenced by his drastic dropoff in play after halftime. I finally saw that those numbers could be separated on NBA.com:

first half: 14.8 minutes, 10 points, 45% FG, 37% 3PT, 1 rebound, 1.6 assists
    second half: 15.1 minutes, 6.2 points, 33.8% FG, 25.7% 3PT, .8 rebounds, 1.7 assists

Project those first half numbers over a reasonable 33 minutes per game, and you've got 22.3 ppg on solid FG%, and top 10 type free throw attempts per game (his 2.8 FTA in the first half was 6th amongst guards).

So really, as disappointing as his season was last year, his first half production was fringe all-star caliber, and at the weakest position in the NBA right now. Memphis got demolished and the Pacers barely lost in their conference finals because they didn't have a guy that could create his own offense. EG can. It's a big risk to take on his being able to both stay healthy AND not be a complete malcontent, but it's a risk we have to take if we want to legitimately contend and not be a Hawks/Rockets of the past 5 years type team.

Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post
    We need a player like Gordon playing at the level that he's capable of if we want to be legitimate contenders two years from now. I still don't think he was in game shape last season, as evidenced by his drastic dropoff in play after halftime. I finally saw that those numbers could be separated on NBA.com:

second half: 15.1 minutes, 6.2 points, 33.8% FG, 25.7% 3PT, .8 rebounds, 1.7 assists

Project those first half numbers over a reasonable 33 minutes per game, and you've got 22.3 ppg on solid FG%, and top 10 type free throw attempts per game (his 2.8 FTA in the first half was 6th amongst guards).

So really, as disappointing as his season was last year, his first half production was fringe all-star caliber, and at the weakest position in the NBA right now. Memphis got demolished and the Pacers barely lost in their conference finals because they didn't have a guy that could create his own offense. EG can. It's a big risk to take on his being able to both stay healthy AND not be a complete malcontent, but it's a risk we have to take if we want to legitimately contend and not be a Hawks/Rockets of the past 5 years type team.
    well said..completely agree...some people were frustrated with his play because of the lack of patience...let's see how he produces after a year from his knee issue

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Gordon's injuries wouldn't hurt us as much if we weren't so heavily reliant on him. We badly need more offensive production from the SF position in the future and for Rivers to come through.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post

I'd be all in for Eric Ambrose Gordon Jr....

IF...

1. He didnt have the option of becoming a free agent before we become contenders

2. He were reliable and dependable

3. There wasn't the issue of whether he'd be a malcontent inspite of getting paid $14 million to play basketball

4. He had any leadership chops or locker room gravitas to pass on to our younger players

I'm completely pulling numbers out of they sky, but I'd rather Tyreke Evens at $10m and Mike Dunlevey Jr at $4m over the next 3-4 years than going into the start of every season wondering about Gordon's mental and physical status.

Clearing Gordon's salary would be a big deal, and not set this team back if the savings were used wisely. The old question is what else does Dell want to dump Gordon? Is there a prospect he wants (like Bledsoe), will a pick in this draft suffice if a player he likes is still there at 23 and Indiana calls, or is he holding out for a pick in 2014 -the deepest draft in years.

Gordon will surprise a lot of people this year, it usually takes a year to get back to were you where after knee surgery. Remember how bad CP looked after coming back from his knee injury.

Thread Information