Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Official 2006-2007 Houston Rockets Badass Thread

What do you guys think of these changes in the gameplan/depth chart?

1. Moved Manu back to the starting lineup. Also, instead of making Posey the backup SF and SG, I just made him the backup SG and gave Pietrus an opportunity at backup SF.

2. For the gameplan, I made adjustments to my offense. Increased the pace from normal to fast. Don't have alot of good handlers/passers on the floor so its important that my scoring options gets their shots off quickly. Right now, they're not with a normal pace and my shooting has been atrocious. McKie is not a natural PG so he's not gonna be able to setup my scorers. That's why going to a fast pace will get them better looks. It may increase turnovers, but if my shooting improves, who cares?

3. I changed my focus to inside. Main reasons are because my shooting from the arc has been atrocious and going with an inside focus makes it easier to set my scoring options. I can go with Jefferson as number one since he's an A- inside, then Melo number two since he's B+, and Manu number 3 since he's a B inside. Joe Smith and Pietrus are also B inside, but Manu is B+ from the perimeter and the other two are C so Manu has more versatility scoring. Hopefully Manu can get going as well with an inside focus. Jefferson is my best scorer if you look at points per minute. He's higher than Melo. So going with an inside focus will give him more chances to succeed. Melo can score in the paint as well since he's B+ which is second highest on the team.

4. Last thing was going from trapping normal to often. My defense has been good with blocks and steals and FG%, but I'm not rebounding well. Figure I will try to get more steals so I don't have to rebound as much. I'm keeping my press to sometimes since I'm ok with teams facing my halfcourt defense.

5. I would start Jefferson, but Smith's defense has been valuable and he's playing well overall outside of his shooting. Jefferson's defense is at C+ and I don't want that in the starting lineup. I already have Melo who's a B-. I figure I can surround Melo with two A defenders in Okafor and Smith and two A- defenders in Manu and McKie. Plus bringing Jefferson off the bench will take less pressure off of him defensively and let him focus on scoring.

Its time to start a run and this sim has to be it. I'm hoping these changes help so my team can stop underachieving a bit. What do you guys think?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Big sim coming up with new gameplan changes. Really anxious for it. Think this may be the best gameplan I've had.

vs Jazz, at Heat, vs Wolves, at Hornets, at Bucks, at Nuggets, at Sonics, vs Warriors.

Like I said, if I don't go 6-2, then I'm not a candidate for the top seed. If I don't go 5-3, then I'm not gonna get a top 4 seed. If I don't go 4-4, then I'm not a playoff team.

I'm gonna disagree somewhat with labeling Manu a bust. He's not really even a disappointment. He played out his rookie contract really well. Two outstanding seasons and another season where he was All-NBA Defense 2nd team. Were there better players picked after him? Sure and that's obviously disappointment, but he was a good player in his rookie contract. Hopefully he can turn it around this season because its on the brink.

Seemed to find the right formula so far. 14-5 in the last 3 sims. Offense improved. Averaged 115 ppg in the 4 victories. Big road wins at Phoenix and Dallas while two at home against Portland and Cleveland. Only negative was home loss against the Grizzlies who won the season series 3-1. We're tied for 1st in the Midwest and 2nd seed in the west.
    Last edited by Pelicans78; 07-08-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Here are the player averages for the last sim

C - Okafor - 15.2 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.6 bpg; FG - 46.5%, FT -75%

PF - Smith - 13.4 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.6 bpg; FG - 47.8%, FT - 74.2%

Jefferson - 15.4 ppg, 8 rpg, 1.2 bpg; FG - 47.7%, FT - 71.4%

SF - Anthony - 24.4 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.4 apg; FG - 50.0%, FT - 78.9%, 3pt - 42.3%

Pietrus - 8.2, ppg, 3.2 rpg; FG - 53.6%, FT - 72.7%

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Seemed to find the right formula so far. 14-5 in the last 3 sims. Offense improved. Averaged 115 ppg in the 4 victories. Big road wins at Phoenix and Dallas while two at home against Portland and Cleveland. Only negative was home loss against the Grizzlies who won the season series 3-1. We're tied for 1st in the Midwest and 2nd seed in the west.
    "Tied for first", but lost the tiebreaker so womp womp...
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    "Tied for first", but lost the tiebreaker so womp womp...
    Yup. Poor shooting night cost me in the last matchup. Offensive exploded after that game especially Melo. Funny he dominated really good defenders in Deng, Prince, and Howard yet shot 5-19 against JJ.

Do you think your team's major growth spurt is over? has your team maxed out it's potential or at least has a little left to grow, or do you see your team still with a ways to go?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Do you think your team's major growth spurt is over? has your team maxed out it's potential or at least has a little left to grow, or do you see your team still with a ways to go?
    How did I miss this question?

That's a good question. Honestly, unless Melo and Jefferson improve defensively, the core has definitely maxed out except for maybe Okafor; But Okafor, Melo, and Jefferson all have A potential so they should improve. However both Melo and Jefferson regressed after training camp.

I need more help from my supporting players in general. Mainly Manu and Shaun Livingston in the future. If Livingston can continue to improve his defense, then he could help my offense out alot with his playmaking abilities. I don't expect too much improvement from Smith, Posey, or McKie. Pietrus could improve but I don't see it.

This roster won't change for the next few seasons. I don't expect much more growth unless the core improves overall. I will use training sessions each season, but unless Jefferson and Melo improve their defense, Manu improves offensively and Livingston improves overall, I think I will be a strong playoff team, but not enough to be a consistent title contender. This season has been disappointing overall, especially offensively at the SG spot with Manu and Posey. Both guys are shooting under 40% Need much more from them.

Thread Information