Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official 2006-2007 Houston Rockets Badass Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Wow you really are taking me out of the conversation. Love it.
    Surprised I was the only person so far predicting the Lakers back in the Finals. Obviously my goal is to get to the Finals and win it, but still the Lakers have made come out of the West in back to back years and have nice depth around two top five players in the game.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Surprised I was the only person so far predicting the Lakers back in the Finals. Obviously my goal is to get to the Finals and win it, but still the Lakers have made come out of the West in back to back years and have nice depth around two top five players in the game.
    It's all good man. We've been to the conference finals 4 out of 6 years and the finals 2 out of 6. We're geared up and ready to go. I do think we will take some time getting adjusted to the new style though. Plus everyone knows how i like to tinker.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Check your sources, bruh

Quote Originally Posted by TrayWithAnA View Post
    Check your sources, bruh
    Apparently I need to rewind myself.

Apparently I need to rewind myself.
    But agreed, strange more people are jumping off the Laker bandwagon.

But agreed, strange more people are jumping off the Laker bandwagon.
    Didn't realize so many people were Iverson fanatics.

Or it could be that people do believe the Rockets are badass...

Didn't realize so many people were Iverson fanatics.

Or it could be that people do believe the Rockets are badass...
    I do think your team has earned the credit people are giving them. It'll be a fun year to watch.

Terrible sim going 2-3. Yes, it was 5 playoff teams, but overall the offense and defense both stunk. Average of -10 on the point differential. Brutal showing.

I do think your team has earned the credit people are giving them. It'll be a fun year to watch.
    the curse of Tray.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    the curse of Tray.
    Just don't let me pat anyone on the back. It's bad for your health if I appreciate you at all.

Time to make some adjustments in the next sim. Offense and defense was inexplicably horrendous. I didn't sleep well last night. Mostly because I was on call for phone, the baby kept waking up, and I had a freakin cold. Oh starting 2-3 and getting my butt kicked by Soundwave, Loco, and those freakin Twolves who never got off my back.

Offense was abysmal. Melo averaging 19 ppg? Are you kidding me? Okafor shooting 30 something percent? McKie averaging 4.8 TOs per game? Manu and Joe Smith shooting 40% each? How about James Posey? Shooting 20% from the field and 10% from the 3-point line. Overall, the team is shooting 80% from the line, but Melo is bringing them down with his 57% shooting. Also, I'm in the bottom five in the league in FT%. Also, the team is shooting 31% from threes? What's up with that? I have 4 lethal 3-point shooters in Melo, Manu, Posey, and McKie. Unacceptable. Thankfully Big Al showed up averaging 17/9 off the bench in 25 minutes per game and shooting 55% from the field.

Now lets get to the defense. Bottom 5 in the league in FG%. Bottom 5 in points allowed. Averaging 104 ppg and that's with two A defenders in the frontcourt and two A- defenders in the backcourt. What's up with Manu? For a guy who's rated A- defensively, he's getting his *** kicked routinely by elite SGs. Ray Allen lit him up. Mo-Pete scored 40 on him! 40!!! Pierce scored 32 on him. What the hell is going on with this Argie. Seriously, if the defense is gonna be this bad, I may as well but Big Al's el matador self back in the starting lineup. Come on Joe Smith, show up man.

Seriously, 2-3? With a -10 point differential? Letting two of my rivals in the Grizzlies and TWolves run me out of the building. What the ****?!! 20% and 10% James Posey? Really? Mother****er..Something's gotta change.

So I'm looking at a couple of things. I think I went overkill on the fast pace and often trap. Yes this worked two years ago with a younger, less seasoned team with average defenders, but this team is different. Alot of A defenders, better perimeter shooting, and better depth. Thinking about condensing the game to get the most of out my defense and also give my shooters more time to get open. Instead of a fast pace, I'm going with a normal pace. My ball-handling is better now compared to the last two seasons so I should have less turnovers and better ball-movement in the half court game. Plus, it will allow Melo and Jefferson time to set up in their scoring positions. Going with a normal pace should help my defense get back and really maximize their effort. Also going from an often trap to a normal trap. With good half-court defenders, I shouldn't have to trap as much. Let them play straight up.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Your team is very talented. I agree with slowing down your pace. You were shooting poorly with more shots than your defense could make up for. What focus do you run with your team, balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    Your team is very talented. I agree with slowing down your pace. You were shooting poorly with more shots than your defense could make up for. What focus do you run with your team, balanced?
    Yes I run a balanced focus since I have good inside scorers and perimeter scorers. Main reason is because Melo can score in the paint and on the perimeter. Even if I move Al Jefferson to the number one scoring option which I plan to this sim, its fine running a balanced offense because it will allow the frontcourt players to score on the inside and Melo can do his thing inside and outside while the perimeter guys shoot from the outside.

Switching scoring options. Putting Jefferson number one and Melo number two. Jefferson is my most efficient scorer and needs his touches when he comes in the game. Melo can play off the ball and get open looks playing next to Jefferson. The next sim is soon. Very anxious about it.

jefferson number one scoring option off the bench should be interesting. I hope it works out.

This sim has me going at Dallas, at Kings, at Magic, at Nuggets, hosting Bucks, at Minny, at Kings, and at Blazers.

Would love to win them all, but some tough games. Definitely want to win at Dallas just to slow his mojo down. A few rebuilding teams on the schedule. Minny is one of my toughest rivals and the Bucks are tough as well. I usually have trouble at Portland as well. We'll see what happens. I want 6-2 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    jefferson number one scoring option off the bench should be interesting. I hope it works out.
    When he was a rookie two seasons ago, I made him my number two option off the bench and the scoring took off overall. Also, when Manu was out that same season, I put another bench player Rodney Rogers as the number 3rd option and he did well too. With Manu hurt, I didn't have any scorers in the starting lineup outside of Melo. The other guys were Okafor, Etan Thomas, Voshon Lenard, and Mighty Mouse. Jefferson and Rogers were more efficient scorers off the bench than those guys.

What I think Scoring Option means is those guys will get the first look every possession. For example, even if Melo is number two, he will get the first looks with Jefferson on the bench. When Jefferson comes on, then he will get the first touches every possession. If both Melo and Jefferson are on the bench, then Manu will get the first looks. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

Sim Day!!!!!!!

First game is Day 12 at the rivals Mavs. A win there would be huge momentum. Won't be easy.

5-3 sim was ok. Hoping to do 6-2 at least. Offense not performing at all other than Jefferson.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    7-6 start to the season. No need to panic. How did Jefferson as a scoring option on the bench work out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    7-6 start to the season. No need to panic. How did Jefferson as a scoring option on the bench work out for you?
    He's been a scoring option both sims so far. This week I made him the number one option, but he started a few games anyway since Joe Smith got hurt. He's gonna be a scoring option regardless since he's one of my best scorers. But my offense hasn't struggled this badly in 3 seasons. Unreal. I'm thinking about starting Jefferson and Posey and moving Smith and Manu to the bench, but I'm confused overall.

I see one reason why the offense is struggling so badly. Manu is not a reliable 3rd option as a starter. He seems to be better suited as a 6th man type off the bench. He's always been better as a number two option, but that won't happen with Jefferson around. If he doesn't pick his play, I could see him coming off the bench while Posey starts at the SG spot. I like Posey's A- outside scoring and his A- defense. Seems to be a really good fit next to Melo. I think Manu could then be a viable 3rd option if brought off the bench. Something to ponder after this next sim. Don't expect any changes now since Posey is out for 4 days with migraines. What's up with migraines? Posey and Okafor are missing days due to migraines.

4-3 this past sim. Not bad, not that good either. Won a home game against the rival Grizzlies, but lost a home game in OT against the Knicks. Defense continues to be superb overall. Top 5 in oPPG, oFG%, steals, and blocks. Can't complain about that at all.

However the offense continues to struggle. Worst shooting % in the league. Hard to believe with guys like Melo, Jefferson, and Manu with shooters around them. However while Jefferson and Aaron McKie shoot well from the field, Melo, Manu, and Posey are struggling. Hard to say exactly why. Maybe not a reliable distributor since McKie is not a pass first PG and Livingston is coming off the bench. Also, playing more normal pace this year compared to years past where the team was fast paced. However, going to a fast pace didn't work in the first sim where the team was dominated in most games going up against strong teams. If the offense doesn't improve, this team won't be a strong contender as expected in the preseason.

Here's the changes in the next sim.

Manu is out of the starting SG spot. Posey replaces him since he's a better 3-point shooter while Manu is more of a versatile scorer. Bringing Manu off the bench will allow him to get more looks everywhere on the floor instead of waiting on the perimeter while Melo gets his looks. Posey should be able to succeed well playing off the ball next to Melo.

Jefferson and McKie will be the top two scoring options. Mostly because of favorable matchups. Melo has to go up against the likes of GWallace, AK47, Prince, and Luol Deng. Its gonna be hard for him going up against these guys. In fact, so hard, I'm not even gonna make him a scoring option.

Schedule includes home games against Boston and Phoenix and road games against Memphis and the TWolves. Going 2-2 in those matchups should lead to a successful sim.

Thread Information