Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Do you support a Draft Scouting system?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 81.82%
  • No

2 18.18%
  • Not as currently structured

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draft Scouting

Draft Scouting

Draft Scouting Outline:

As of now, when teams are preparing for a draft it's all a guessing game because the letter grades are really a combination of other attributes, so you never truly can tell if that player is a good fit for your team. To relieve this problem, I suggest we implement some sort of draft scouting system.

In general it would work like this:

Lottery Teams - 2 Scouts
    Playoff Teams - 1 Scout

I think this allows lottery teams to at least see the two players they are most interested in to see if they are a fit. It's not game breaking, because the GM still needs to rank and project where the players are going to be come draft time for those 2 scouts to make a difference. If I scout two players that are not available when I pick, then the GM is still punished for a poor draft.

Let's say, I want to scout two players, we can either setup a draft scout thread each year where only posting your scouting decisions are made. Also, we could operate in PM if Commish is okay with that for you secretive folks that don't want to tip off the players you are eyeing.

So for the instance where some scouts a player, Commish will report back to you their actual number ratings. 1-100 in each skill.

I wanted to create a poll to get this on a vote/discussion.

Only four votes. Nolaslim would be disappointed in you!

I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I kinda didn't mind the old system. Still thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVegito View Post
    I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I kinda didn't mind the old system. Still thinking about it.
    What are your concerns?

**** I meant to vote no, but I was doing it on my phone. Oh well.

The only reason why I would vote no is because I'm not a big proponent of the number ratings.
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Would said scouted ratings show durability ratings I'd they exist? Or is that completely random?

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    **** I meant to vote no, but I was doing it on my phone. Oh well.

The only reason why I would vote no is because I'm not a big proponent of the number ratings.
    Yes, but I'm just trying to even the playing field. I'm not saying commish would abuse his ability to see the ratings, but he is, as it stands now, that can see the ratings.

EDIT: Plus, commish is always in the late end of a round, so I'm not worried. lol This was thought up to help Lottery teams make the right choice, and it adds a interesting element to the league.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Tony Allen is a 72 rated jump shooter and only scored like 9-10 a game. So high ratings (and that's relatively high) don't necessarily correlate to increased improvement (or at least initially)

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Tony Allen is a 72 rated jump shooter and only scored like 9-10 a game. So high ratings (and that's relatively high) don't necessarily correlate to increased improvement (or at least initially)
    To be fair, he shot the 3 ball fairly well in college. Other than that, he made a living off of screen, transitions, and put backs.

Word

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Yes, but I'm just trying to even the playing field. I'm not saying commish would abuse his ability to see the ratings, but he is, as it stands now, that can see the ratings.

EDIT: Plus, commish is always in the late end of a round, so I'm not worried. lol This was thought up to help Lottery teams make the right choice, and it adds a interesting element to the league.
    That's fine, and I understand that, it's just my belief that it's not that big of a deal

Still not sure how I feel about it. I don't hate it.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Haven't voted yet, but I would lean towards no. I like the fact that it is somewhat of a crapshoot.

Just take the last draft as an example, I think most of us would have taken Granger over Lee. I probably would have. I'm glad it ended up how it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I think I may just hold a "scouting combine" like you see in real life.

^ THIS.

That could be awesome.

Ok, I can either just post the results of the lottery in one post and we can get started with the draft today or we can do a "lottery show" and do a draft combine sort of thing. Depends on what yall want.

I would vote for just the results of lottery all at once, and work on the draft combine stuff for next season.

I like the lottery show. I don't care either way since I don't have a draft pick. I guess I'm all for letting the newcomers enjoy the lottery.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I feel like this will be a must when we head into drafts with made up players. Until then it is a lil helpful. I say start the lottery.
    #FREEQUAIL

Pelicans Sim League

2007-08 Record:15-11 winning!
    PG:Mo Williams SG: Larry Hughes SF: Grant Hill
    PF: Antoine Walker C: Greg Oden
    6th man: Ben Gordon

#FREEQUAIL

Quote Originally Posted by c_prej View Post
    I feel like this will be a must when we head into drafts with made up players. Until then it is a lil helpful. I say start the lottery.
    I totally agree with this. When that time comes this scouting stuff will be very valuable. I'm just super anxious to get it going, the sim league withdrawals are getting worse

I vote for a lottery show!

Lottery show

Alright lottery show tonight.

Any time frame on when sign and trades will be processed?

I'm about to start working on all that, and I'll work on it throughout the day.

Thread Information