Pelicans Report

Thread: A look at the upcoming FA class -Zach Lowe

A look at the upcoming FA class -Zach Lowe

Can Amare Stoudamire see a big payday through those stupid glasses?

About 2 sims ago I had a conversation with Seattle Supersonic GM ______ _______ about all of the players on bargain contracts in the sim league... it was a short conversation. We've seen a lot of role players get over payed in past seasons which will probably happen in this upcoming free agent class as well. We'll probably see one lucky soul get the Ernest Brown award for most over payed role player. The Seattle Supersonics' GM expressed in our conversations that it is for this reason that he doesn't sign role players as he is a firm believer in the philosophy that the only contracts you should have on your roster are max contracts for star players, expiring contracts, rookie players, and vet min contracts. But not all players that out perform vet minimum contract offers but aren't max contract stars, will take one year deals. Here's a look at next years FA class starting with the players that will probably get a max contract, and what they are worth in the open market.

The "Get Their Agent On The Phone, Say Yes, Then Go To Lunch" also Known as the Joe Johnson Players

Carlos Boozer is really rubbing it in this season

Amare Stoudamire What he's worth: 16 million a seaon
    Amare is no longer in Yao's shadow... ok maybe literally he still is. The soon to be allstar, former rookie of the year, and All defense selection is definitely getting the max if Tony "don't call me Peter because I'm spider man" Parker got one. He's been so hot this season it would take a fire extinguisher to put him out (probably for a playoff series). 24 points per game, 48% shooting, 5th in boards, 8th in blocks, yea he's really made a point to prove he should have been taken number one overall, over his teammate, who'll be mentioned later.

Carlos Boozer What he's worth: 14 million a season
    Minny cleared the road for him by dealing pau only to try and trade him before giving him a chance to be the number one option they dealt pau for him to be (confused, I am too). Doing this naturally gave him the biggest chip on a shoulder ever (being selected 4th, being passed on for ROY despite putting up 20 a game, playing behind pau, almost being traded) and it's shown. 24 ppg and 10 boards on 50% shooting is unreal even as a number one option. It hasn't exactly translated to wins yet, but I could see an Elton Brand like future for the young bigman who has improved on the defensive end too.

The "Please Don't Ask for a Max Because You've Got a Once in a Generational Skill Set and We Have to Keep You" also Known as the Gerald Wallace Players

Perhaps Yao should be more serious with his play if he wants to be a star

Tayshaun Prince What he's worth: 12.5 million a season
    A short history lesson:
    Portland has the Number 3 overall pick in the 2002NBA draft and a talented young swingman in Richard Jefferson coming off a rookie season where he averaged 16 ppg. Along with Francis this is the foundation for a solid young core.
    You know what happens next.
    Portland trades Jefferson, Marko Jaric, and cash for Kenyon Martin. In order to pass on Carlos Boozerfor Tayshaun Prince. KMart leaves after an unremarkable two seasons while Boozer goes on to put up 20 and 10 a season and Richard Jefferson becomes a talented 20 point scorer and the Trailblazer fans aren't even that upset. That is because Prince is in the middle of a breakout season, displaying a unique skill set and well rounded game unmatched by any player in the game right now. This is the same skill set that got him drafted so high by the former GM and why the current GM won't hesitate to give him a max contract he probably isn't worth.
    Already an elite 3 and D player the moment he entered the league, Prince has steadily improved each season as a scorer and is now an elite third option averaging 17 ppg, 5 more than his career average. This makes him a solid player but where he'll really earn his money is as a facilitator as he averages 6 assists per game from the small forward spot. Side Note: I'd really like to see the blazers experiment with a fast paced outside game with Prince as a small ball power forward. They would be fun to watch.

Yao Ming What he's worth: 12 million a season
    former number one overall pick, you can't call him a bust, puts up 19 and 10 (having a down year shooting wise but shot 47% last season), 7 foot 6 (seriously at this height it's impressive if you are coordinated enough to touch your toes, ask shawn bradley) and plays a position that is rare in the NBA, so pay him right? Well I wouldn't. Why? Besides his offensive output and his production on the glass he doesn't really give you much else. The Knicks give up 97 ppg and he is a big part of the problem. He's a terrible shot blocker. He doesn't even average a block a game! How is that even possible?! At 7'6" he should be able to stand there with his eyes closed and get at least one block, right? Also the problem isn't being soft either as he can't even stay in the game he fouls so much. He's 6th in the league in fouls at 3.8 a game. No way I give him the max until he gives me something more than 2k numbers, a hilarious switch on to a 5'10" point guard, and this commercial

I guess it's not surprising that the top 4 picks are the 4 players likely to get max contracts. Anyways that's it for guys in this FA class that deserve max contracts, but I'm sure there will be at least twice as many given out. Stay tuned for the next tier consisting of 3rd best players on contending teams.
    Last edited by BeeBall Reasons; 05-01-2013 at 03:32 AM.

In the next addition,

Jay Williams
    Ron Artest
    Caron Butler
    Manu Ginobili
    Nene
    Andrei Kirilenko

let me know if you come up with others.
    Last edited by BeeBall Reasons; 05-03-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Oh, I totally agree with you on Prince. I hope he doesn't go max, but if he does, I'll accept it. I mean 17-6-6 is just crazy especially when he shut down Lebron to 14 points while posting a 25-7-7 game. lol

I'm in love.

Side Note: Prince's 3pt shooting dropped a lot this year, so I trained it, so I could experiment more with an outside game. Never thought about PF mostly because I have no depth at SF.

Good read.
    One quick point:
    Portland trades Jefferson, Marko Jaric, and cash for Kenyon Martin. In order to pass on Carlos Boozerfor Tayshaun Prince. KMart leaves after an unremarkable two seasons
    They did go to the finals, and IMO if they had K Mart they'd be a serious, serious threat in the West still. The only reason he left is because Inner came on too late in FA to retain him.

I also think it would be good to go through the contracts that WERE given out as maxes and see who's living up to potential and who isnt.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Yea I feel a little unlucky there, because now I'm really in the middle of the pack teams where I don't get a good draft pick and I'm not contending. FA is where I have to make moves or blow it up and acquire picks(not gonna happen as long as Francis is alive)

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Really good read. Will be an interesting free agent signing period.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    LOL @ Gerald Wallace Players hahaha

I'm in a similar situation Inner but I don't any draft picks so whatever players I add will be from free agency

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    LOL @ Gerald Wallace Players hahaha
    I thought so too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

To be fair to Portland, they did go the Finals with K-Mart and Tayshaun. They only lost K-Mart because they had no GM at the time. Still, Boozer and Jefferson may have been a better combo offensively, but defensively KMart/Prince was better.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

My team was a top 5 defense last year I think, Yao isnt the problem, Person and RJ are

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Good read.
    One quick point:

They did go to the finals, and IMO if they had K Mart they'd be a serious, serious threat in the West still. The only reason he left is because Inner came on too late in FA to retain him.

I also think it would be good to go through the contracts that WERE given out as maxes and see who's living up to potential and who isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    To be fair to Portland, they did go the Finals with K-Mart and Tayshaun. They only lost K-Mart because they had no GM at the time. Still, Boozer and Jefferson may have been a better combo offensively, but defensively KMart/Prince was better.
    Lol did you not read anyone else's post?

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Lol did you not read anyone else's post?
    LOL I didn't read yours. Just the Sonics.

Thread Information