Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2005-06 NBA Power Rankings!

3rd from the bottom is about right. MY team can't score more than 80 points unless we play lights out.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Just be glad you dont have my team GI. My team will be arguably offensively retardant.

Caron butler averaged 24 and 12 in the playoffs last season and nickloz t averaged 14 and 13 so im hopefull those 2 breakout this year. Also what is there not to like about Van Exel? He is probably the best assist man in this league, and is good for about 3 triple doubles and 3 35+ point games per year and he is a beast in the playoffs. His playoff numbers over the last 3 years have been off the charts, i have them at 24-11-6 at great shooting.

Yea your team should be in the playoffs again. That's why I got rid if your pick.

Hall of Famer
    Hey, it's J. Felders and the Sportsguy, back with a rankings update! Crow tastes awful, by the way......

1. Golden State (Last seen: Preseason #16)
    EVERY. FREAKING. TIME. A recent surge puts the Warriors firmly atop this list. Small ball reigns supreme for now.

2. New Orleans (Last seen: Preseason #4)
    They just had their first losing sim in what seems like forever, but they're still the Eastern Conference top dog by a lot.

3. Seattle (Last seen: Preseason #8)
    Looks like Chris Paul was exactly what this team needed: A phenomenal assist man to spread out the scoring. This team could be downright scary once they free up cap space next season.

4. Memphis (Last seen: Preseason #5)
    Old faithful's still boss in the Midwest until proven otherwise. Joe Johnson has been worth every penny so far. Not much else to say here.

5. LA Lakers (Last seen: Preseason #1)
    The scary thing is, this team's only ranked #5 because of injuries and gameplan shifts. Once they find their groove.....

6. Milwaukee (Last seen: Preseason #18)
    They have the second highest win % in the East, but have played 16 of 22 games at home, and 22 games overall is a small sample size to judge from.

7. Utah (Last seen: Preseason #19)
    Another small sample size here, as they haven't played as many games as others (22, same as the Bucks), but they've looked pretty good so far.

8. Philadelphia (Last seen: Preseason #2)
    The Bucks' opposite....only 9 of 30 games at home, which makes them 12-9 on the road. They'll beef up their win % when the home/away splits start to even out. Also missed Camby for 4 games.

9. Cleveland (Last seen: Preseason #14)
    A surprise top 4 seed in the East, but all their starters can score. Fatigue could be an issue later on, as so far they've had just 10 players play in all 22 games.

10. Phoenix (Last seen: Preseason #20)
    The Suns appear to be "hot" rather than "lukewarm" this season, but they need to figure out a way to avoid cooling off. Perhaps getting Vince more involved is the key.

11. Wizards (Last seen: Preseason #7)
    They're scoring a little over 100 a game.....but also giving up nearly 100 a game. They need to figure out the defense, but their big 3 are playing great and Sura is playing surprisingly well for them.

12. Knicks (Last seen: Preseason #9)
    Finally becoming the team we thought they could be, but they could really use some depth. That just might be their downfall.

13. Dallas (Last seen: Preseason #15)
    The Mavs seem to be coming on as of late (6-4 over their last 10), but it remains to be seen how much newcomer Keith Van Horn helps cover up rookie Danny Granger's struggles.

14. Houston (Last seen: Preseason #6)
    Still dangerous, but not as intimidating as last season. They seem to be lacking something (bench production?), and Ginobili isn't playing like this is his contract season.

15. Indiana (Last seen: Preseason #25)
    They've got the best record over the last 10 games in the East, and they just acquired Jermaine O'Neal to make a push for a higher seed. The O'Neal/Davis combo needs to be better than it was in New Jersey.

16. Toronto (Last seen: Preseason #13)
    Rookie David Lee is looking great, but the Raps need a little more production from the bench. Andre Miller's showing that his contract might not be that bad after all.

17. Chicago (Last seen: Preseason #22)
    Made an interesting trade for Kirilenko, experimented with Lebron at the 2. They're going to need to figure out the rotation soon, as they are one of at least 5 teams battling for final 2 playoff spots.

18. New Jersey (Last seen: Preseason #11)
    Already thinking ahead, since they replaced O'Neal with Nene, moved Kirilenko, and will have the T-Wolves pick next year with about 25 mill in cap space. Dwight Howard's an absolute monster, but needs to be more efficient scoring the ball.

19. Minnesota (Last seen: Preseason #24)
    "Meh"nesota needs a spark, but nobody's really providing it. They seem like a less talented edition of last season's squad. Boozer needs legit help, and Starbury isn't it.

20. Denver (Last seen: Preseason #10)
    What happened here? Denver's a mirror image of the T-Wolves (less talented than last season), but this team is better on paper than last season...Shawn Marion needs to step up and earn his contract.

21. Orlando (Last seen: Preseason #28)
    This team is clearly lacking something. The David West horse has been beat into the ground, but all players who play significant minutes other than Delonte West average at least 7 ppg. Maybe they need to tighten the rotation?

22. Portland (Last seen: Preseason #26)
    Basically, Tayshaun & Stevie can't do it alone. Their below-average supporting cast just can't provide enough help to win consistently.

23. Miami (Last seen: Preseason #27)
    Started off strong but are in free-fall now, going 2-8 in their last 10. It's been said many times before, but they really need Stro to step up if they wanna compete.

24. LA Clippers (Last seen: Preseason #17)
    Wade's amazing, but this squad just doesn't seem to mesh well at all. They're Golden State's polar opposite: A team with good players that can't play well together.

25. Detroit (Last seen: Preseason #12)
    It's do or die time for the Pistons, fresh off a 4-2 sim. They've played the second or third most games out of any teams in the East, and dug themselves a hole, but with a few more winning sims could be right back in it.

26. Atlanta (Last seen: Preseason #21)
    Jalen Rose's switch to the SG position hasn't gone as expected. He's putting up nearly 11 less ppg. Sheed needs some help down low too. The Hawks have 10 less games than some teams, so they have room to make it up.

27. Boston (Last seen: Preseason #3)
    The season from hell. They've been without the Diesel for nearly 20 games and they haven't been put in a great position to succeed since his injury. Gonna have to be very impressive in second half of season to be relevant.

28. San Antonio (Last seen: Preseason #23)
    No more Kidd jokes, he's not the problem. Everybody's contributing (except Ellis), but they're just not winning. Sean May has been a pleasant surprise, however.

29. Sacramento (Last seen: Preseason #29)
    If there's any justice in this league, Sac-Town will get the #1 pick in the upcoming draft.

HR Sim League

Thanks for the love! BUT i still have alot to prove.
    #FREEQUAIL

Pelicans Sim League

2007-08 Record:15-11 winning!
    PG:Mo Williams SG: Larry Hughes SF: Grant Hill
    PF: Antoine Walker C: Greg Oden
    6th man: Ben Gordon

#FREEQUAIL

Amazing what the Magic could have been had they not given up Nickloz T and David West!

Right where I want to be

I deserve the rankings. My team has been playing like *** so far.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

SportsGuy here going to give J. Felders a little break. He's done all of the editing together of the rankings, so I'm going to try to recap what we got right (very little) and what we got wrong (A lot!).

We'll start with what we got right:

1. New Orleans Hornets (Preseason #4, now #2) - They have 7 players averaging at least 10 ppg (when you round up) and still shoot amazing from the field.
    2. Memphis Grizzlies (Preseason #5 now #4) spot now midway through the season. They are a half game back from the Rockets but have a higher win %.
    3. Sacramento Kings (Preseason #29 now #29) Not to harp on the Kings but we had them pegged for last and they are still sitting there. They inherited a difficult situation at best and are now starting the rebuilding process we expect bright things for their future
    4. We said before the preseason rankings how difficult it was to rank the teams and how great a job everyone has done and the level of parity that exists. There are 5 teams in the top ten that weren't there in the preseason, it's been said before and it will be said again, this is the most competitive the league has ever been.

What we got wrong:

1. Golden State Warriors (Preseason #16, now #1) - Had a bit of a nosedive since the rankings were released going 3-7 in last 10, but still a "surprise" team. We expected them to make the playoffs and they always make some noise in there, but didn't expect them to be contending for the Western Crown.
    2. Boston Celtics (Preseason #3, now #27) - Even before everyone was injured they started 1-6, but I don't think anyone expected them to be this bad.
    3. Milwaukee Bucks (Preseason #18, now #6) - Second best win % in the East, with 2 high scoring losses to the Hornets. If they want to dethrone the Eastern Conference favorites they will have to figure out how to defend them, I don't see them outscoring New Orleans 4 out of 7 games.
    4. Utah Jazz (Preseason #19, now #7) - Will try to get their first ever playoff series victory this year. Again had a bad sim after these rankings and are 3-7 in last ten but are still clinging to that #8 seed.
    5. Indiana Pacers (Preseason #25, now #15) - Will try to get their first ever playoff appearance this year. Baron Davis has improved every facet of his game since being traded from Boston, he's averaging 10 more ppg, almost a half an assist, lowered his TOs, and is shooting a full 10% better from beyond the arc. I'm not angry about it at all... I swear...Good Luck Baron...
    #FREEQUAIL

Lots of guys coming off of injury for me. My 7th man. Dickerson. J Will back on the pine with an injury but only for 2 games. Only had 1 sim so far without an injury; but hopefully we've got that out of our system and can give the Sonics and Warriors a run for their money in the Pacific. I will not be happy if I do not win my division.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

The league in terms of teams are a lot better. There's a lot more balance in the league. Hornets still make me sick

Hall of Famer
    Hi. J. Felders here. I decided to return the favor and let Sportsguy get a little rest. Things will be done a little differently this time......since the trade deadline is coming up, the ranking will still be here, but we're gonna focus on the status of the various teams, and whether they'll be looking to buy, sell, or just sit there, rather than blather on about their place in the standings, playoffs, lottery, blah blah. But first, definitions:

BUYING: These teams are usually missing something, but not much. So, they're now looking to fill the void.

SELLING: Either they've got to lose some contracts, or it's rebuilding time. So, they're now looking to dump stuff.

STAYING PUT:
    A) The team is good and doesn't need anything.
    B) The team is in the midst of rebuilding.
    C) The team screwed up or inherited a bad situation.
    D) Nobody wants their sorry players.

So let's go.......
    1. New Orleans (Last seen: #2)
    This team is obviously running just fine. 'Nuff said.Status: STAYING PUT

2. LA Lakers (Last seen: #5)
    Injuries strike again, just as this team was getting ready to hit its stride. Still, this team can survive 17 days without Jason Williams. No issue. Status: STAYING PUT

3. Houston (Last seen: #14)
    They had a short dominating run, but have cooled off since then. A very dangerous team, look for them to tinker with their depth, especially since Pietrus turned out so well for them. Status: BUYING

4. Seattle (Last seen: #3)
    Their owner has been all over the place in trade talks, but I personally think they should stay put. Still, when you're looking to compete for a title, risks must be taken. Status: BUYING

5. Phoenix (Last seen: #10)
    Their motor's still running hot, but when you're 8 men strong, you start to worry about mileage. This team looks like they've maxed out their potential for this season...a fact that probably drives their tinkering-happy front office nuts. Status: STAYING PUT

6. Milwaukee (Last seen: #6)
    Still a solid blue-collar team. Maybe not a true contender, but they'll fight to the death. Conventional wisdom says that they'd be looking to buy, but after last season I don't think so. Status: STAYING PUT

7. Memphis (Last seen: #4)
    Still a threat, but seem to have hit a slump as of late. I wouldn't rule out a trade to find a spark, but it seems like a gameplan issue more than anything else. Status: STAYING PUT

8. Chicago (Last seen: #17)
    Kirilenko & LeBron have proved to be a great combo, and LaFrentz & Bogut hold down the frontcourt. They've gotta be looking to fill that huge PG hole now, because it looks like they could be a threat if they do. Status: BUYING

9. Philadelphia (Last seen: #8)
    They just haven't been as dominant as we're used to. I'd say they should be looking to buy, but I'm not quite sure what's out there that can help them. So.....Status: STAYING PUT

10. Golden State (Last seen: #1)
    Slowly but surely lost ground after that explosive run. Now that the West is heating up and they're losing ground, look for them to seek a trade to keep pace. Status: BUYING

11. Cleveland (Last seen: #9)
    Don't sleep on these guys. They may have cooled off a bit, but they're still a tough team to handle. I really don't see them making any moves, unless something falls into their laps. Status: STAYING PUT

12. Toronto (Last seen: #16)
    The Raps are in a very nice place right now. So nice, in fact, that I don't think they do anything. Status: STAYING PUT

13. Denver (Last seen: #20)
    Now this is more like it! They've fought, scratched, and clawed their way into the playoff picture. Where do they go from here? Nowhere as far as trades are concerned. They've worked hard to get where they are now, I don't think they'll take a risk by seeking deals.Status: STAYING PUT

14. Washington (Last seen: #11)
    Not really sure what to say here, other than they've already made their big move. Let's see how it plays out. Status: STAYING PUT

15. Indiana (Last seen: #15)
    Another Eastern squad that's deceptively good. I think they're done dealing for now unless a center on a good deal pops up. Status: STAYING PUT

16. Minnesota (Last seen: #19)
    See, Starbury? THIS is how you lead a team! The motley crew has righted the ship and have set the course for playoff waters. Like Denver, I don't think they rock the boat now. Status: STAYING PUT

17. Dallas (Last seen: #13)
    A slight slowdown has allowed Denver & Minnesota to jump them. But, they're still rebuilding, and they would do well to be mindful of that. Unless a good SG pops up on the market (and maybe not even then), Dallas should stay cool. Status: STAYING PUT

18. New York (Last seen: #12)
    Here's some advice: Don't play with Big Cats. They rebounded nicely, picking up Stephen Jackson, but they're basically through now....and for a few years to come.Status: STAYING PUT

19. Utah (Last seen: #7)
    Wow, what happened? They've slipped way down as of late. Given the way this team is built, making positive moves could be difficult, but I'm guessing they dangle Walker or Lewis around to see if the fish are biting. Status: SELLING

20. Orlando (Last seen: #21)
    Still in the hunt, but they're hurting a bit. They could use a spark, but FOR THE LOVE OF MICKEY MOUSE DON'T TRY TO GO GET ONE! Just keep calm, and let your guys develop. Patience, young grasshopper. Status: STAYING PUT (hopefully)

21. Detroit (Last seen: #25)
    They'd started to slowly improve before they cleaned out the clutter and landed Yao. Now that they're a more balanced squad, I'm looking for them to keep on fighting. Status: STAYING PUT

22. LA Clippers (Last seen: #24)
    Yeah, I know they've done well lately, but I'm still thinking they might wanna sell off a few pieces to make that cap hit a bit easier to swallow. Status: SELLING

23. Miami (Last seen: #23)
    The near-trade of Terry & Posey to Seattle seems to have lit a fire under the Heat. Still, it could be fool's gold, and I'm thinking the Heat may just try shopping Terry to snag some assets before the deadline's done. Status: SELLING

24. New Jersey (Last seen: #18)
    NYC Animal Control put down the Big Cat. Now that their owner finally has the cap relief he's been looking for, look for them to do something with it. Status: BUYING

25. Portland (Last seen: #22)
    This is a team that should be out to buy. But, thanks to their relative lack of any tradeable assets other than Finley, not much can be done. Status: STAYING PUT

26. Boston (Last seen: #27)
    They've already made their big move, and it's looking good so far. I don't expect them to make any more moves, but if they do, it's only to cut down on the cap. Status: STAYING PUT

27. Atlanta (Last seen: #26)
    Bad contract central. They will be looking to unload those pricey vets on anyone willing. Status: SELLING

28. San Antonio (Last seen: #28)
    Another team that needs something, but has nothing. It would be wise to keep JR, Monta, and May, and NOBODY's taking on Houston.......maybe it's time for Kidd to say goodbye? Status: STAYING PUT

29. Sacramento (Last seen: #29)
    In order to get a head start on next season's rebuilding project, they should be looking to move the vet talent they have for assets. Status: SELLING
    Last edited by Xist2inspire; 05-11-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    29. Sacramento (Last seen: #29)
    In order to get a head start on next season's rebuilding project, they should be looking to move the vet talent they have for assets. Status: SELLING

Jazz should sell but they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Jazz should sell but they won't.
    Think you're wrong about they won't sell. I'm not sure if they'll sell their players for anyone over 26, but I think they'd sell for long term assets and picks.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Think you're wrong about they won't sell. I'm not sure if they'll sell their players for anyone over 26, but I think they'd sell for long term assets and picks.
    I think they might try and sell Walker and Hughes (doubt they'll find what they want for either). But lewis (their biggest value non rookie contract guy) probably won't be moved.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    I think they might try and sell Walker and Hughes (doubt they'll find what they want for either). But lewis (their biggest value non rookie contract guy) probably won't be moved.
    Yeah, but hard to move a guy like that unless its right honestly.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Also I want to explain that I could be buying or selling. As currently constructed my team is 3 players with a few picks and assets. I'd be willing to buy with the lower level ones for rentals that don't compromise my cap space. As (before my selections count against the cap) I will have about 10.8 million in cap space. With that much money I could add a third star or two quality starters. Dirk and Allen are on the block to max out that space as I know Chris Paul will only get better and those two are in their prime.

(lurking)

The only piece I need right now is a strong backup big. I only give points which I might.

Hall of Famer
    Welcome to Part 1 of the Power Rankings: Playoff Edition! It's J. Felders here, and I'll give you the rankings. Sportsguy's better at analyzing matchups, gameplans, etc., so he'll cover Part 2, which will cover each of the 1st round matchups individually.

A lot went into these rankings, actually. I had to judge not only their potential to get out of the first round, but also their current standing, their ability to go further, etc. Basically, the #1 ranked team is the one most likely to win it all, and the #16 ranked team is the one most likely to be one-and-done. Now I'm not going to sit here and pretend that this list is anywhere close to perfect, there are a lot of holes between #1 & #16. As such, please sound off in the comments, I'd love to hear other opinions. Heck, maybe a few GMs/Owners/Coaches will stop by.

With all that being said, let's get to it.......

1. Los Angeles Lakers
    #1 seed in West
    1st round opponent: Phoenix Suns (Ranked #16)
    This is what LA faithful have been waiting for all season: A shot at another title. With vets like Duncan, T-Mac, and Iverson, it'd be foolish not to put the Lakers at the top of the title conversation.

2. New Orleans Hornets
    #1 seed in East
    1st round opponent: Indiana Pacers (Ranked #13)
    Honestly, choosing between NO and LA was tougher than I originally thought. The Hornets placed second due to this: The playoffs are when your weaknesses are revealed, highlighted, and pinpointed. This is where the loss of Okur (MoPete too, maybe even John Salmons), will be felt most dearly.

3. Houston Rockets
    #2 seed in West
    1st round opponent: Minnesota Timberwolves (Ranked #14)
    As far as the regular season goes, this young squad has learned their lesson. But, can they take the ultimate step and contend for a title now that they've put themselves in a position to do so?

4. Milwaukee Bucks
    #3 seed in East
    1st round opponent: Cleveland Cavaliers (Ranked #11)
    We'll find out right away if this team is a legit threat or not, because they draw the tough Cleveland Cavaliers in the 1st round. MVP Gilbert Arenas must dominate in order for the Bucks to survive the East.

5. Washington Wizards
    #2 seed in East
    1st round opponent: Philadelphia 76ers (Ranked #15)
    In Kobe We Trust. This team seized their division and the #2 seed by trading Hill and placing the weight of the world on Kobe Bryant's shoulders. But, when you look at this team, you see Kobe, you see McDyess, but you see little else. There are far more balanced teams out there. Can 2 outshine 3, 4, or 5?

6. Chicago Bulls
    #4 seed in East
    1st round opponent: Toronto Raptors (Ranked #8)
    Their matchup with the Raps is, in my opinion, one of the must-see 1st round matchups. They've worked hard to give LeBron some help, and it looks like they've finally done it. Rose provides veteran help, Kirilenko provides defensive support, and LaFrentz continues to try and validate his contract. Don't be surprised if this team turns into a big threat.

7. Dallas Mavericks
    #3 seed in West
    1st round opponent: Seattle SuperSonics (Ranked #12)
    Accelerated rebuilding plan GO! What an amazing turnaround from the LOLMAVS era. But now for reality. The vet talent on this squad is good. Still, this team is eerily reminiscent of Houston last year: Good, but too young. They may not be ready to rumble now. But, now would be a really good time for Deron & Danny to step up.......

8. Toronto Raptors
    #5 seed in East
    1st round opponent: Chicago Bulls (Ranked #6)
    The other turnaround team, the Raps can also make a splash....if they can get past the Bulls. The offensive firepower on this team is incredible though, and if their shooters get the hot hand, beware.

9. Memphis Grizzlies
    #5 seed in West
    1st round opponent: Golden State Warriors (Ranked #10)
    The sun appears to be setting on this team, despite the bright young futures of "Elton Johnson." The hope is that this proud team will rally around the Last Outlaw himself, Sheriff Mourning, so that he can ride off into the sunset with a ring.

10. Golden State Warriors
    #4 seed in West
    1st round opponent: Memphis Grizzlies (Ranked #9)
    So, do I believe in GS now? Well.......no. Still don't look impressive, still old, still capable of doing something big, but don't bet money on it. Really, the key is Rasheed Wallace exorcising his postseason demons. If he can do that, okay. If he can't......

11. Cleveland Cavaliers
    #6 seed in East
    1st round opponent: Milwaukee Bucks (Ranked #4)
    Dat frontcourt, tho. Seriously, that's the only reason this team is even considered to be a tough out. The Bucks will have a tough time stopping Gasol, Okur & Howard. But, can the Cavs stop Gilbert?

12. Seattle Supersonics
    #6 seed in West
    1st round opponent: Dallas Mavericks (Ranked #7)
    In all honesty, Dallas & Seattle's seedings should be switched. This is a tough matchup for both teams, but the bigger question for Seattle is: If they get past Dallas, can they play enough defense to go further?

13. Indiana Pacers
    #8 seed in East
    1st round opponent: New Orleans Hornets (Ranked #2)
    They stumbled into the playoffs, but don't count them out just yet. This team can scrap, and a short run is not out of the question.

14. Minnesota Timberwolves
    #7 seed in East
    1st round opponent: Houston Rockets (Ranked #3)
    One of the hotter teams entering the playoffs, this is Starbury's big chance to show how valuable he is to this franchise. Another scrappy franchise, I can't see this team making a run, but a first-round upset is possible.

15. Philadelphia 76ers
    #7 seed in East
    1st round opponent: Washington Wizards (Ranked #5)
    Philly is a quality franchise, and I hate to rank them here, but....again, the playoffs are when your weaknesses come into play. Jamison's injury leaves a gaping hole, one that I just can't see being filled in the playoffs by someone else. A more short-term concern is Billups' injury, and trying to avoid being down in the series when he returns. Don't get me wrong, this team will not be an easy out....but injuries have seriously damaged their chances at revenge for last season.

16. Phoenix Suns
    #8 seed in West
    1st round opponent: Los Angeles Lakers (Ranked #1)
    Resting their two biggest stars proved to be a luxury the Suns couldn't afford, and now they've gone from being a tough out to an easy out. Honestly, they're DOA. The only question is how many games they can take off of LA before they fall in defeat.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    "legit threat or not"... pssh

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    "legit threat or not"... pssh
    **** i really am the "hornetstime247" of the East

Thread Information