Pelicans Report

Thread: Dallas Mavericks Post Draft Presser

Dallas Mavericks Post Draft Presser

Hey everyone. I know what your thinking. Your saying the draft isn't even finished yet. Well...it is for us. And we are just entirely too anxious to wait until it's over to introduce our new and improved Dallas Mavericks. So without further ado here are your 2005-2006 Dallas Mavericks:

Your new starting point guard :
    Deron Williams

Deron is an incredibly talented point guard out of Illinois. Proved himself to be an elite floor general, finishing his career by leading the Illini to the National Championship Game. We are very proud to welcome Deron to the team. We have high expectations for this young man and we fully believe he will live up to all of them.

Your starting shooting guard :
    Larry Hughes

You all know Larry. He's been a fixture on this team and we don't expect him to go anywhere (*rolls eyes). Larry continues to produce for us and is always a dominant presence on defense. He led the league in steals last year while being the teams leading scorer. Let's just say he now has some help.

Your starting small forward :
    Danny Granger

Excited doesn't begin to express how we feel about this kid. Danny is very very versatile. He can do it all. He can play a bit of PF, he can shoot from the outside, and use his size to get in close. Always shows great effort on both sides of the ball. Consistent shooter as well. Were thinking his decision to play thru his senior year will make his NBA transition seamless.

Your starting power forward :
    Kenyon Martin

Yeah we know his picture is awful. I asked him to take another but he then threatened me so this picture will be fine. We acquired Kenyon thru a trade with Toronto. We feel that Kenyon will give our team that tenacity we need so bad. He has a very intimidating game and a great passion for the game. His defense is outstanding as he's averaged over 3.5 BPG for his career. Oh and he wanted me to tell everyone he's happy to be here and that he's looking forward to wrecking Etan Thomas and Al Jefferson.

Your starting center :
    Andris Biedrins

You all know Beans. He was a rookie last year and averaged 10ppg and 8rpg. While he came out of college as a center we wanted to try him at the 4, which is what he played most of the year his rookie season. Well in hindsight we think we made a mistake and decided to let him flourish where he is most comfortable.

So there are your Dallas Mavericks! I hope everyone is as excited as we are to get this season started. I'm not really one to make guarantees but I'll say this. There's a new and improved team in Texas. I overheard someone saying something about painful ends. Too bad they'll be the ones in pain. I'll leave it at that. We'll let our play on the court speak for itself.

I'll take a few questions now...........

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Hey there,

Will Maukie with BucksNation.com. It's bee pretty impressive how you've thrown such a beautiful (on paper) team out there. There is so much potential here, I'm genuinely excited for you. What's even more impressive is have you've taken the reigns of a team caught in controversy and turned a bleak future very bright.

My main question: How active do you plan on being during FA?

Thanks for question Will. Well as I'm sure you can tell were pretty strapped for cap space. A good team cost money. We won't be extremely active but we will be trying to bring in some solid depth, experience, and leadership. We've got a young team here and with the right pieces I know we can do great things.

Jon Snow, Westeros Sports Network...the people of the realm wish to know your expectations for the upcoming season, are playoffs in your mind already with such a young team?
    Twitter: @TheRealPaulyP
    PR Sim League (2006-07 Season)

Thanks for the question Jon(*cough* basterd *cough*) Actually yes we do expect a playoff appearance this year. We are young and our conference isn't a pushover by any means. But we do think we have put together a solid core of players that will get it done. Now all of this is talk of course until the ball hits the court but until then we'll talk a mean game and do our absolute best to back it up.

Calvin Murphy with Fox Sports Houston. Your team went 0-4 against the Rockets last season. Carmelo Anthony referred to city of Dallas as 'the Big Dump' post game while Al Jefferson blew kisses at Mavs fans following a Rockets road victory. How do you deal with the fact that the Mavs are a 2nd class team in the state of Texas and will the Mavs win a half against the Rockets much less a game?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

On a more note, you've drastically changed the talent level in less than two years on the job. What are you looking to do next in free agency and how will your gameplan change compared to last season?

Thread Information