Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Historically Great Hornets

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    The way I understand it is slower pace will put the ball in the hands if your scoring options more. The less scorers, the slower the pace needs to be and the more shots the scoring options will take , but the team as an overall will take less because they're trying to get the best shot overall (which is defined by you having scoring options).

Meanwhile, if you have a ton of guys that can score, you want more shots to be hoisted up. You'll get more shots more evenly distributed when they get them earlier in the shot clock. I think very fast gets up like 105-110 shots, normal is 83-87ish and slow is like mid 70s. The faster your pace is the more shots other teams will get. The slower the less shots they get respective if their pace.
    I always assume its the opposite. If you have one reliable scorer, you want to go to a faster pace so that scorer will get his shots off more quickly instead of having the ball spread around. Also, a team that handles the ball poorly or not good passing, will want to go at a faster pace to get their shots off quickly. A team with many scorer or that handles the ball well will want to go at a slower pace to spread the ball around and get good shots for everyone.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

The Historically Great Hornets

Iverson is averaging the second most shots a game as very slow or slow, so I highly doubt that's right.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

If you have more shooters you want to go a faster pace to get everyone more shots. If You only have one or two guys you want to slow it down to find them the right shots.

Grant Hill is one of the best scoters in the game and he preferred a slow pace. I just couldn't run one with him because Sheed Then became a liability in the half court.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

I think pace has little to do with scoring and more to do with ball-handling. The only reason I run a fast pace is because I have terrible ball-handlers across the board from center to point guard. Even with Manu out, my offense has been strong at a fast pace. It would struggle terribly if I went at normal or slow paced.

It's directly reflective on shots taken. Don't think you're right.

Going at a slow pace means more half court offense so if a team is poor at handling the ball, there won't be good shots in a half court set.

I think it has to do with turnovers as well, but it's definitely got a lot to do with shots being taken.

It's directly reflective on shots taken. Don't think you're right.
    Well of course a faster paced team will take more shots, but if a team is poor at handling/passing the ball, it will struggle scoring in a half court set because guys won't get good shots. A poor ball-handling team will turn the ball over alot in a half-court setting.

So with that being said why would it have less to do with scoring ? You just said it did.

Also its easier to defend a team with just one or two scorers in half court set. A slower paced offense will allow teams to defend easier against the main scorer.

So with that being said why would it have less to do with scoring ? You just said it did.
    It has less to do with scoring compared to ball-handling. Scoring is involved, but pace effects ball-handling more. At least from my experience.

We will agree to disagree?

We will agree to disagree?
    Sure that's fine.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Slower the pace you run later into the shot clock you take a shot. Faster the pace you take shots earlier in the shot clock.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Slower the pace you run later into the shot clock you take a shot. Faster the pace you take shots earlier in the shot clock.
    Yes, that's exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Yes, that's exactly right.

That's really obvious Lol, but we're talking about the residual effects of taking the shot earlier versus later in the game.

That's really obvious Lol, but we're talking about the residual effects of taking the shot earlier versus later in the game.
    My take is a team that shoots early in the shot clock will have less ball movement and allow the top scoring option to shoot early while shooting later in the shot clock means more ball movement. So a poor ball handling team will do better shooting early in the shot clock while a good ball handling team will thrive better in a slower pace. Now how does that affect the scorers? Slower pace will allow more guys to touch the ball in a possession and also defenses will be able to focus on the top scorer more. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.
    Last edited by Pelicans78; 03-17-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Thread Information