Pelicans Report

Thread: Lakers Biweekly Report

Lakers Biweekly Report

Lakers Biweekly Report

Bill Plaschke
    11/11/04

Weeks 1 and 2
    Lakers have finished their daunting schedule on a 3 game winning streak after a dreadful 1-5 stretch to start the season. There was a lot of hype going into the season, and a lot of fans are a bit taken back.. again by the Lakers lack of success. The silver lining is the Lakers completed that stretch with only 40 minutes and 22 points from their star A.I.. the bad news is they only got 40 minutes and 22 points from their star A.I. due to an injury. Now A.I. is back to 100% and we hopefully will get to see what this team has to offer.

What did we get to see while A.I. was out?
    1. Quentin Richardson is a force to be reckoned with and is a clear starter in this league. Richardson has been a career backup but had his coming out party these last 2 weeks only averaging 16 points 8 rebounds 2 assist and a steal. This begs the question: Should Q be starting over Donyell Marshall who is putting up putrid scoring numbers for a team who could use a few more points.

2. Othella Harrington is as good as advertised. The Lakers are forced with a tough decision. Ben Wallace is grabbing rebounds at a 13 rebound per 36 minutes. which is good for 4th in the league (per 36). But Othella Harrington is putting up massive bench numbers. He's averaging 13/6/2 in only 21 mpg. What would that look like as a starter getting 36 per game? I'll do the math for you: 21/10/3.5. That's hard to ignore.

3. This Defense is not all hype. Let's start with the foot note here. Their best wing defender and the guy who creates the most turnovers was out (Allen Iverson)! Let's look at some rankings after the first two weeks:
    - 4th least PPG
    - 1st in opposing team rebounds
    - 5th in opposing team assist
    - 2nd in opponents shot attempts per game.
    - (t) 4th in opposing teams FG%
    - 4th in opposing teams 3 point %
    - Have not allowed anyone to score 100 points on them.
    That's all without factoring in that the Lakers force the least turnovers per game? If don't realize what that means, i'll break it down for you. The Lakers are putting this with pretty much having to stop an opponents shot every time down the court. Simply put when the game slows down the Lakers can get stops. The hope is when Iverson comes back they can limit shot attempts even more.

With this i'll tell you, fans, do not sleep on the Lakers. They have the opportunity to be scary good this season. Please feel free to send comments below. Till next week!

Edit: AD Can you move this into Articles please?
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 02-22-2013 at 06:31 PM.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Your defense has played well, but teams are getting to the FT about 25 times per game and shooting 80% from the line. How do you plan to lower the opponents FTs? Also, are you surprised at the lack of turnovers your team is creating?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Good questions:
    1. I noticed those trends as well and think it's happening because my guys are getting tired by pressing so much. I'll experiment with a couple of things. Lowering the pressing first, and if that doesn't work i'll press more again, but sub more. Not overly concerned because we're about middle of the pack with it, but i'd like to quit bailing teams out if i can. It's lost me a couple of games already. I still think we should be a >.500 team without iverson.

2. Yes. I was really hoping to create something in the 14 turnovers per game with AI. Still have to see because i think he'll produce at his normal 2.5 clip which should help a bit.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    How do you feel about your team going 4-5 with AI missing 7 of 9?

Another great question. I feel slightly disappointed because as i stated earlier we feel like we're better than a .500 team even without him but I have hope. I understand my team with so many defenders on the court at the same time, is highly dependent on having Dirk and A.I. stay healthy due to their scoring prowess. They've simply got to carry the load on offense until the second unit comes in. When one of those two are out, the players have to step up, and they did, but not many people can fill the void left by an A.I. type player. Mostly i'm disappointed because i didn't get to see how this team played together. 1 of the 2 games A.I. played in he fouled out in 19 minutes and we won, but the Grizzlies were without Peja as well, so it's hard to gauge. I guess in the end you have to be encouraged when in the 2 games he's only put up 11 ppg and .400% shooting.

Lakers Biweekly Report

Bill Plaschke
    12/11/04

Weeks 3 and 4
    Welcome to another edition of the Lakers biweekly report. While two more weeks have gone by, we still have a lot of questions that have not been answered. The most pressing is, how does this team look together when healthy. The Lakers have still have only played 3 of their 14 games with Iverson and Dirk in the lineup. With that being said, it seems like the Lakers are starting to 'get it" with a 6-2 mark in their last 8game. what are the Lakers doing so sucessfully to win at this rate? Well, as thought before the season, defense defense defense, with a sprinkle of A.I. . What have the Lakers not been doing? Scoring, simply put. Now with the injury of Dirk they will most certainly need to make a move in the line-up. In talking with team officals, I hear the Lakers are preparing to start Othella Harrington, who's be an absolute monster off the bench in Dirk's place. As good as Othella has been and will be team officals know they'll need to supllant some of those points produced by Dirk somehow. I hear the plan is to place Quentin Richardson, who was averging 17 in place of A.I. when injured, in the starting line-up and see how things flow. While the coaching staff has been enamored with Donyell Marshall's defnesive and rebounding ability (almost 9.2 rebounds per game as a SF), they are equally as displeased with his offense allowing opportunity for Q and Artest to showcase their abilities. (5.8 ppg, .341 FG .240 3 point% in 39 MPG).

Things of note for the past 2 weeks:
    - A.I. 46 is on a tear (vs. Rockets), 29 (vs. Mavs), 39 (vs. Cavs) (35 vs. the Clippers).
    - Dirk is out for 4 games.
    - Othella Harrington should be in the 6th man of the year running (13 and 7)

- 1st least PPG Allowed ( +3 vs Last Week)
    - 2nd in opposing team rebounds ( -1 vs Last Week)
    - 4th in opposing team assist( +1 vs Last Week)
    - 2nd in opponents shot attempts per game. ( +1 vs Last Week)
    - (t) 4th in opposing teams FG% ( t vs. Last Week)
    - 11th in opposing teams 3 point % ( -7 vs. Last Week)
    - Have allowed 1 team score 100 points on them. ( -1 vs. Last Week)
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 02-25-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Im not reading it until its purple dammit
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    Im not reading it until its purple dammit

Done!

Bill Plaschke
    12/31/04

Weeks 4 and 5
    Another 2 weeks down, another medicore finish. The Lakers again look bipolar with their results. The Lakers start 0-2 with Dirk out due to injury and 4-1 with him. Now, I know by now, everyone is getting tired of the Silver Linings every week, but for the first time since game 1 of the season, the Lakers get to play with a fully healthy roster. The latest stretch with Quentin Richardson in the line-up has been very encouraging on the rest of the season beating Houston and Chicago.

Next week the Lakers play a home and home series with the Orlando Magic who are struggling after some injuries, and a huge test at home versus the Celtics. The Lakers again has been outstanding less a game versus the hated Warriors giving up 115 points in 4 Quarters.

Things of note for the past 2 weeks:
    - Quentin Richardson has averaged 15 ppg and 6.5 Rebound per game as a starter.
    - A.I. still on a team 35, 32, 24, 46, 29, 38, and 28 in his last 7. Oh and he's #2 in scoring now.
    - Dirk is back.
    - Othella Harrington should be in the 6th man of the year running still. 14-8 after last week. Hearing if this week doesn't go well, the Lakers may insert him at Center.

Lakers Defensive Watch
    - 1st least PPG Allowed ( t vs Last Week)
    - 4th in opposing team rebounds ( -2 vs Last Week)
    - 4th in opposing team assist( +2 vs Last Week)
    - 6th in opponents shot attempts per game. ( +4 vs Last Week)
    - 5th in opposing teams FG% ( -1 vs. Last Week)
    - 3rd in opposing teams 3 point % ( +8 vs. Last Week)

*** It seems Donyell Marshall not ebing in the starting lineup is having a bit of a negative effect on the defense.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Purple...

Thread Information