Pelicans Report

Thread: BREAKING NEWS - TIM COWLISHAW(DALLAS MORNING NEWS)

BREAKING NEWS - TIM COWLISHAW(DALLAS MORNING NEWS)

I stumbled across this article. It was written a few days ago but I thought it was a pretty good read. Hope everyone enjoys it!

Cuban Gone Wild - Tim Cowlishaw, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20091226dallas_morning_newsfrontpagecropped.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	4646

Wow...I realize that Cuban is still a fairly new owner in the league but...Wow! I think it's safe to say this was the same reaction many in the sports world had when hearing of the news this morning: "Mark Cuban fired Donnie Nelson early this morning". Yes, Donnie Nelson. The son of the legend Don Nelson. The guy who has been a major reason the Mavs are becoming relevant again. FIRED! Just like that. I know what your thinking right now. Your thinking that this has to be one of the boldest, surprising, and boneheaded moves by an owner to date. But you'd be wrong. Two hours after this news broke, we got a bit more news. Just when you think you can't be more shocked...Mark Cuban blows your mind! He has already hired a replacement. Chad Anthony is the new Mavericks GM! Can you believe it!? Wait... Who the HELL is Chad Anthony? Well I did a bit of research on this guy. First off, he has NO official NBA experience. His resume simply states that he is an avid basketball fan and was last employed as a cable guy! Are you kidding me? This has to be a joke. This is who Cuban fired Nelson in favor of?

As shocking as this move was, I'm trying my best to give this guy a chance. I'm sure he's already gonna hear it from the fans, they'll make his job hard enough. There were some weird moves made by Nelson in the last month. But I never questioned him. I'm being told from sources that he found out some how about his future firing and out of revenge he tried to hinder the team as much as possible. So needless to say, Chad Anthony has his hands full. So without further ado, I caught up with Mavs' new GM and picked his brain:

Mr. Anthony, do you have any idea what your doing?
    Umm not really...(chuckles). In theory, sure I know what I'm doing. I've never actually done it before but I know the game inside and out. I think every one will be very shocked with how fast I turn this team around.

I see. Have you had a chance to study the roster yet, and what moves can you see yourself making right away?
    Well look, let me start off by saying this team is young and has lots of potential. We lack experience, we lack veteran leadership, we lack many, many things. This is a slow process. Believe it or not I've already made a few improvements to the team in the day I've been here.

What kind of moves are you speaking of and how would you like your team to shape up as the season opener draws near?
    Well for starters, I've found a loophole in Bob Sura's ridiculous contract and that will be voided very soon. I'd like to free up some of the wasted cap space and that is a start. We were going to hold a presser tomorrow but I guess I can let this out now. We've just finalized a trade to bring in Jamal Crawford, who I think can possibly be our long term answer at point. We've also brought in a solid big man.

Speaking of big men, how will that affect how you develop your star rookie Andris Biedrins?
    We call him Beans. I am very very high on this guy. He'll probably get most of his minutes playing the PF. But I really feel he will flourish there and become a force in years to come. That's something you'll learn about me, I love big men with great defense. I love defense period. This team WILL be great defensively or players will lose their jobs. Simple as that.

So your front court is somewhat set. What about your guard play? Is Hughes a part of your long term plan?
    Hughes. We've discussed this a bit. I've yet to meet Larry, but that answer is more up to him than it is to me. I know what he can do. If he comes in from the offseason in shape and ready to perform at the high level I know he can, then yes I'd love for him to be here for quite a while. We also have a few Free Agents that we have our eyes on that can really shore up some of the holes and gives us a bit more depth.

Well Chad I will now apologize. It certainly seems I underestimated your knowledge of the game and what you bring to the table. I am looking forward to seeing the team in action this season and for years to come. I have a feeling in a few years you can raise this team from the ashes. Thank you for your time and good luck this season!
    Thanks Tim. I know I will have to prove all the naysayers wrong. But that's what I do. I do the impossible. I chase perfection.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you fans out there may not be convinced yet, but I was very impressed with this guy. Believe it or not, this man knows his stuff. I see good things on the horizon for this young upcoming team. I can't wait for this season to get underway and see this team in action. I'll be sure to keep you fans updated with the latest moves and news of your Dallas Mavericks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	4650
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Thread Information