Pelicans Report

Thread: Trade Speculation question

Question Trade Speculation question

With two open roster spots do you think Dell and Monty are holding those two spots to take on an expiring contract or two soon? The Hornets/Pelicans need to get better in the defensive game and I can't imagine Monty (Being a defensive minded coach) is very understanding about the major defensive lapses we've seen this season.

I wont atempt to make any suggestions about trades, b/c frankly, I don't know enough about what other teams need or how players fit into certain systems. but I will say (while I know it would never happen) I'd be interested to see how Gasal would fix Monty's slow pace system?

I do welcome others to opinions on legit trade suggestions, and explanations as the players fit the trades..

You remember how they sent Gordon to LA to rehab because they said they couldn't give him the proper attention if he rehabbed here? I think that's why the roster never got completely filled this season. They don't want to bring in guys good enough to take minutes from players needing to develop, and you can only develop so many guys at a time so there really isn't much point to filling out the roster. That's not to say a trade where we take back extra players can't happen, just that I don't think that's why the roster spots were left open.

Gives us the flexibility to be a facilitator in trades as well (i.e. taking on a small contract for a 2nd rounder or so).

Can't really see any deals being made at this point. I changed my stance on this when we had that 7-3 spurt after EG got back, figured a late lotto pick + Vasquez or Aminu for an upgrade could happen. But now its looking like we're sucking again and we'll do it with the squad we have.

I think how we do in free agency this offseason and our draft pick will really be the point FO show their hand as to what the plan is.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    You remember how they sent Gordon to LA to rehab because they said they couldn't give him the proper attention if he rehabbed here? I think that's why the roster never got completely filled this season. They don't want to bring in guys good enough to take minutes from players needing to develop, and you can only develop so many guys at a time so there really isn't much point to filling out the roster. That's not to say a trade where we take back extra players can't happen, just that I don't think that's why the roster spots were left open.
    I'm obviously not versed enough in the NBA or basketball for that matter, becuse I don't understand the connection between EG rehabing in LA and not wanting to sign players to fill out a roster. Also I don't get the development angle with X and Thomas rarely if ever getting into the games most nights. The Hornets have gone nights with only 8 of the 13players getting double digit minutes and one or two not even taking their warm up pants off.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Gives us the flexibility to be a facilitator in trades as well (i.e. taking on a small contract for a 2nd rounder or so).
    iirc we only have a 1st round pick in 2013.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    iirc we only have a 1st round pick in 2013.
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    I'm obviously not versed enough in the NBA or basketball for that matter, becuse I don't understand the connection between EG rehabing in LA and not wanting to sign players to fill out a roster. Also I don't get the development angle with X and Thomas rarely if ever getting into the games most nights. The Hornets have gone nights with only 8 of the 13players getting double digit minutes and one or two not even taking their warm up pants off.
    The Gordon example was just to show that the team has limited resources it can devote to players, perhaps sending Darius Miller to the DLeague would have been a better example. The point is this is a young team with many players that need both attention and minutes. Carrying the league minimum roster of 13 is uncommon, most teams have 14-15 players, not 13. I believe the reason the team has left those spots vacant is for development purposes, not to make room for a trade, although if a good deal comes along they will certainly take advantage of the roster spots.

I don't want to make any moves, I want our young guys to get plenty of minutes, develop just like durant did when he was young, lose plenty games and land someone like shabazz McLemore or Noel, it's not like we r going to the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    The Gordon example was just to show that the team has limited resources it can devote to players, perhaps sending Darius Miller to the DLeague would have been a better example. The point is this is a young team with many players that need both attention and minutes. Carrying the league minimum roster of 13 is uncommon, most teams have 14-15 players, not 13. I believe the reason the team has left those spots vacant is for development purposes, not to make room for a trade, although if a good deal comes along they will certainly take advantage of the roster spots.
    If the team is lacking in resources as you say than that does not bode well for the future. I can see a real problem with attracting FA's (and keeping FA's) to a team that can not offer quality compairable facilities. As far as the roster, it seems out of character IMO for Monty to not try different combinations, last season the bench seemed like a revolving door. One could argue what good did it do?, fair, but I had the impression that Monty wasn't one to be just sit on what he had. He seemed to be constantly looking for a quality gem im the rough. ( Also, I say Monty, it may well be Dell's decisions that brought in so many faces last season, and lack their of, this season.)

If the team is lacking in resources as you say than that does not bode well for the future.
    That's not what I'm suggesting at all. I don't know why my posts are causing you so much confusion and I apologize if I've been unclear, but it's pretty simple, the Hornets are rebuilding and those empty roster spots are just part of the development process. I'm sure if the Hornets had had extra draft picks to fill out the roster with talented prospects more assistants would be hired as needed, so they aren't really lacking in the sense of being cheap or mom and pop. What is a limited resource, and it's limited on all teams, are roles and minutes, so you can really only develop so many young players at a time. The roster spots were left open because they don't want to bring in someone to take minutes away from guys like Rivers, and if you aren't bringing anyone in that's better than a player some are calling the worst rookie in history, then what's the point of filling out the roster?

Thread Information