Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers' play {merged}

Austin Rivers' play {merged}

Honestly every game I've watched him play he is making the right decisions and getting to the rim with ease, but is only lacking in finishing and strength. I think 3 years from now he will be a major component of this team as his skills are very valuable. Not only that but as some of the administrators have pointed out his defense is reaching a level easily above average.

I just want to gauge peoples reactions and see if everyone's on the same page as me. I think the people bashing him are only looking at the stats if you really watch him you see he has the hardest part of the game down and just needs to hit the gym to be able to finish his layup, which will in turn open up his shooting.

he hesitates with every move. A simple pass to the weak side, he'll double and triple-pump before making the pass. Then, his passes have too much air under them, making them easy to intercept. That's the most frustrating thing for me... I want to see a good, strong, crisp pass come out of his hands.... just once.

And him at the top of the key getting all revved up to take off, looks like a cat contemplating the trounce.

I just feel that in the offseason Monty makes sure that he hits the weight room early and often, once he builds some muscle tone and is able to control himself through contact Austin will be fine. He already penetrates and can get to the room with relative ease now it is just a matter of him building up the strength to be able to take the contact and finish
    Saints, Pelicans, Tigers, Braves, and PS3 (NinthWardJay is the PSN)

I've been very impressed by his ability to get to the rim, his passing, and his defense. Like you said he needs to get stronger so he can finish through contact. He's also getting the rookie treatment and not getting alot of foul calls I think he will in a few years. Other than that he just needs to work on his shooting (obviously) and also his confidence. If the three is there he needs to just take it. I see him hesitate alot when he shouldn't. Once, he gets a little stronger and gets some confidence I think he will be a very good player.

I was very impressed with his D last night, once he gains more strength he will finish better you can see he has trouble absorbing contact so that's why he has trouble finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    he hesitates with every move. A simple pass to the weak side, he'll double and triple-pump before making the pass. Then, his passes have too much air under them, making them easy to intercept. That's the most frustrating thing for me... I want to see a good, strong, crisp pass come out of his hands.... just once.

And him at the top of the key getting all revved up to take off, looks like a cat contemplating the trounce.
    LOL PERSONALLY i find that funny when he does it

And honestly I dont think he is THAT bad, his % may not be great. but shooting is easy to get a hand on once you were already good at it, he has to be confident with his first option decisions, no pump passing. But he does get to the rim pretty well, lke others said, with some more strength.... he'll be pretty good
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

He has been playing much better these past few games, and his defense has really been good. I mean, what he did to Kobe down the stretch last night was amazing for a rookie. That's been his biggest growth this season.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I thought he did well on Kobe last night.

We can talk about how terrible he's been, and even I've made the comment that he isn't a NBA caliber player right now. But he does have flashes, which isn't something you can say for all disappointing rookies.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Gonna take a while but I think he'll end up being a good backup to EG.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Gonna take a while but I think he'll end up being a good backup to EG.
    Monty and Demps want him at the PG. The only reason he is playing SG is because we don't have a backup SG. Monty had to made the decision of Roberts or Mason, and he chose Roberts for whatever stupid reason, and as such, that dictated that Rivers play the 2. However, when you watch Rivers play the 1, he is so much better it's not even funny.

Something else that got be excited last night was how many good looks Rivers created for himself (and others). He just needs more experience and time, and those shots will start to fall. I have a lot of faith in the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Monty and Demps want him at the PG. The only reason he is playing SG is because we don't have a backup SG. Monty had to made the decision of Roberts or Mason, and he chose Roberts for whatever stupid reason, and as such, that dictated that Rivers play the 2. However, when you watch Rivers play the 1, he is so much better it's not even funny.

Something else that got be excited last night was how many good looks Rivers created for himself (and others). He just needs more experience and time, and those shots will start to fall. I have a lot of faith in the kid.
    And time to develop his body.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post

Agreed, I think he'll end up being alot more than EG's backup. I think he will be a good combo guard that will play both positions. I think he looks better at PG though and his ability to drive and dish could be scary. I saw him make several good passes the last few games that should have been easy assists but no one on the team had their shot falling so it doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but anyone thats watched the games saw he got some people WIDE OPEN looks. I think he will be much more than a good back up.

he still needs to find his missing left hand... but he will be a pretty good PG.

We'll see. If they go after or draft a PG, Rivers is backing up EG.

when GV is in, play him at the 2, but Roberts honestly shouldn't receive any more playing time at PG. i'd rather have him play off ball but Mason has been playing better lately so I'd just let him ride the pine and have Austin run the show

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Austin Rivers' play

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    he still needs to find his missing left hand... but he will be a pretty good PG.
    The assistant coach a few games ago said that is like one of the main things they are working on with him.

Ouch

Austin Rivers looked very good last night,
    On D he defended Kobe extremely well, and he looked so confident running the fast break, which in the end lead him to making both his free throws which is very hard for Rivers atm.

Its all a process. PAINFUL to watch, yes. But a process nonetheless . He has good skills so, ill wait to see how he looks come next year
    "This Game is Rigged Man" - Preston "Bodie" Broadus : The Wire Season 4 EP 13

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    The assistant coach a few games ago said that is like one of the main things they are working on with him.
    That's awesome. I was hoping they were, I started a thread about it but everyone chalked it up to him being 20. Dude needs to learn how to finish with his left.... If someone can find me one time where he finishes with his left on video I will give that person a pretth spectacular high five

LI's only NO Pelicans Fan yankeesman77's Avatar
    He'll take his lumps this year and grow into his game. No need to take a 19 year old and label him as damaged goods. He will grow into his game like AD and with his ball handling, be an excellent guard for us in 2-3 years from now. He will learn from the shots he takes and bad passes he losses.

I like the development I'm seeing and HE WANTS TO GET BETTER. He will play smarter in Monty's system.

The New Wave of Pelican Power!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post

Ouch
    LOL

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I can't wait to see he and Davis improve before my eyes, like David West did in his third year(David was hurt for his second year). So maybe Davis and Rivers will reach West's play in their second year.

Yeah the labels that knee-jerk reactionary haters have given them(busts) already makes me much more anxious for next year already just to prove em wrong. I like what they both bring to the table.

Austin River is horrible!!!!

i was so hight with this kid when he arrived but now, i see nothing, no jumpshot, no in traffic lay-ups, does someone know what is hapening with this kid. we could have pick better players like jared.

Thread Information