Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draft pick and one signing (reasonable) to improve the most....?

Banned

Question Draft pick and one signing (reasonable) to improve the most....?

I think the main two areas in need of being addressed are the low-post scoring and a point guard who can push the pace. I like GV, but he will never be on a real contender unless the team around him is stacked, which we are not. He has played well this season, but our scheme has masked the fact that without a pick he has zero ability to get by defenders and create.

Give me Cody Zeller and Jeff Teague (RFA).

If it has to be an UFA then I'll take Al Jefferson and draft Marcus Smart.

I think a top 7 draft pick and at least a mid-level FA are in the cards. Curious as to what people would choose for us?
    Last edited by saintsinNO; 01-29-2013 at 11:09 AM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    anthony bennett/otto porter and brandon jennings.

or

al jefferson and marcus smart/trey burke

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    anthony bennett/otto porter and brandon jennings.

or

al jefferson and marcus smart/trey burke
    I'd say my top 2 wishes for PG next year would be Jennings/Smart. Jennings and EG to me would work and be lethal to guard and would really open up Anderson and Davis. I also think Smart will be a star in the league...dude can ball and is intense.

Corey Brewer/Marcus Smart. Might be enough money left for a guy like Pek? Or another bruiser to grab rebounds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeauz View Post
    Corey Brewer/Marcus Smart. Might be enough money left for a guy like Pek? Or another bruiser to grab rebounds.
    I thought about Brewer and like his game for a mid-tier guy, but the reason I stayed away is because I'm one of the ones who has a tough time letting go of Aminu's potential. I really hope he stays consistent and earns that spot because I love his rebounding.

I like Burke and Pek. I think Burke will realistically be there when we pick. Pek will allow AD to stay at what I think is his best natural position at the 4 and allow him to use his versatility.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    I thought about Brewer and like his game for a mid-tier guy, but the reason I stayed away is because I'm one of the ones who has a tough time letting go of Aminu's potential. I really hope he stays consistent and earns that spot because I love his rebounding.
    I like Aminu too, but I like him a lot better if he's a 15-20 minute per game energy/situational guy catching lobs with the second unit. I'd like to keep him around in that role.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I like Burke and Pek. I think Burke will realistically be there when we pick. Pek will allow AD to stay at what I think is his best natural position at the 4 and allow him to use his versatility.
    I would love Pek but I just can't see any scenario where twolves let him walk.

Draft pick and one signing (reasonable) to improve the most....?

BURKE AND PEK

As the college bball season goes on im absolutely convinced that Ben mclemore is the best player coming out of this draft with the highest ceiling!!!!!! That kid is going to be a friggin superstar!!!!! Imo...if we can get him ill be ecstatic....what u guys think of putting eg at pg with mclemore manning the 2 spot....I think that would be awesome!!!! I wonder where Jeff withey will go in this draft. I would love to get him with a later pick if possible....if not mclemore then I'd like to get Shabazz to play the 3 for us or carter williams and Burke at the pg spot...

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    As the college bball season goes on im absolutely convinced that Ben mclemore is the best player coming out of this draft with the highest ceiling!!!!!! That kid is going to be a friggin superstar!!!!! Imo...if we can get him ill be ecstatic....what u guys think of putting eg at pg with mclemore manning the 2 spot....I think that would be awesome!!!! I wonder where Jeff withey will go in this draft. I would love to get him with a later pick if possible....if not mclemore then I'd like to get Shabazz to play the 3 for us or carter williams and Burke at the pg spot...
    This

I believe Jeff Whitey will be a solid nba player. Dude is a beast on the defensive side and can rebound well. I can see him coming off the bench with our second unit. Second unit bigs could be Jeff at center and Jason at the 4. Of course still have Anderson getting lots of mins by have a nice rotation between all of our bigs, but if we could get another scorer and big we could be set.

In order of personal preference:

1. Jennings and Bazz
    2. Pekovic and Smart
    3. Bledsoe and Zeller
    4. Deng and Noel

These are the top 4 FAs (or tradeable players) and draft prospects I like this coming off-season. Any combination of them would make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    In order of personal preference:

1. Jennings and Bazz
    2. Pekovic and Smart
    3. Bledsoe and Zeller
    4. Deng and Noel

These are the top 4 FAs (or tradeable players) and draft prospects I like this coming off-season. Any combination of them would make me happy.
    #1 would have me screaming out "championship!"

I think something along the lines of Jefferson and Burke is more realistic.

But the more I think about, the more it makes sense to trade for a vet at the 1.

Jennings to the Hornets/Pelicans needs to happen.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-29-2013 at 03:00 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

In order of preference:

Jennings & Baz/Porter/Proythress

Carter-Williams/Smart & Budinger/Corey Brewer/Alan Anderson/Martell Webster

I really don't think you go after Pekovic when you have Lopez... I'd rather keep Smith here on a Collison type deal for the rest of his career after his deal is done. Lopez is playing really good with this team and his contract is amazing. He's a perfect fit and can close out games in the event Davis/Anderson are in foul trouble... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    In order of preference:

Jennings & Baz/Porter/Proythress

Carter-Williams/Smart & Budinger/Corey Brewer/Alan Anderson/Martell Webster

I really don't think you go after Pekovic when you have Lopez... I'd rather keep Smith here on a Collison type deal for the rest of his career after his deal is done. Lopez is playing really good with this team and his contract is amazing. He's a perfect fit and can close out games in the event Davis/Anderson are in foul trouble... etc.
    But Lopez's contract is such a great trade assett too. If you can get the substantial upgrade Pek would give you there, you take it and can shop Lopez (or just reclaim his cap space). I don't think we're going to be picking top 3 again this year. Talking about Shabazz or McLemore is probably unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeauz View Post
    But Lopez's contract is such a great trade assett too. If you can get the substantial upgrade Pek would give you there, you take it and can shop Lopez (or just reclaim his cap space). I don't think we're going to be picking top 3 again this year. Talking about Shabazz or McLemore is probably unrealistic.
    I think we have the 4th worst record at the moment. It's not like we are 4 games off .500 and fighting for a playoff spot. I think it is a lot more realistic we pick top 3 than we make the playoffs like a lot of people keep bringing up.

True. I think we are lottery bound, but nearer to the 8-12 area. Still good talent there, but not Shabazz. Who knows though, all speculation at this point.

Also, my mistake with the win the other night we are tied for 5th now.

I'm thinking we end up with the 8th pick this year and we draft Burke if for some reason we don't end up with Jennings, Bledsoe, Lowry, or CP3.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    In order of preference and assuming we pick from 6-10 and trying to be completely reasonable:

Jennings + Porter

Teague + Porter

Jennings + Smart (ship Lopez + Vasquez out together for a SF)

Budinger + Burke

Perfect idea for me would to be

Trade for Eric bledsoe or draft Marcus smart
    Sign a scoring SF like Budinger or draft one in Otto porter or shabazz
    Sign al Jefferson or draft Nerlens Noel, zeller, Len

If this happens I would bet money in3 years we are a top 2 team
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 01-29-2013 at 05:32 PM.

After the night Noel had last night defensively, I'm thinking he's second on my list of draft prospects only to Bazz. Porter, Smart, and Zeller are still right behind.

I'm thinking an off-season of Jennings and Noel would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    After the night Noel had last night defensively, I'm thinking he's second on my list of draft prospects only to Bazz. Porter, Smart, and Zeller are still right behind.

I'm thinking an off-season of Jennings and Noel would be awesome.
    I think we need a post presence at the 5. I wouldnt hate Noel, but i wouldn't be elated either. I'd rather a 3.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    A ton of Smart fans here, to me he's a bit of a chucker and his 3pt % really concerns me. I do agree that both he an Burke are better change-of-pace PGs than MCW would be, but give me Burke all day. Much more consistency to his game. That said my realistic preferences in order:

1. Jennings/Jefferson/Chandler (I know I broke the rule )
    2. Burke/Iggy
    3. Porter/Bledsoe
    4. Porter/Jefferson

(both 3 and 4 STILL result in the cutting of Roberts and either a vet being signed or Rivers taking over backup PG)
    Wherehappens.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Also, Len/Zeller and Jennings would be crazy but I don't see us ending up high enough. Same with bazz/jennings or bazz/bledsoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Also, Len/Zeller and Jennings would be crazy but I don't see us ending up high enough. Same with bazz/jennings or bazz/bledsoe.
    I see us anywhere from the 4th-10th pick so it's possible. I'd prefer Jennings & Noel over Jennings & Zeller right now. But if we got Bledsoe, i'd rather land Zeller than Noel.

Thread Information