Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rudy Gay: The Redux.

Question Rudy Gay: The Redux.

There was some chatter in here earlier in the year about Rudy Gay when rumors popped up that the Griz was trying to move him. Those rumors have intensified as the trade deadline comes into sight. Should the "Hornets" have any interest. Gay would seem to fit a hole in the roster at Small Forward and the team has the cap space and high picks to make a bid. Gay is only 26, but he's pricey. He has two years left on his current extension after this season at $17.8 and $19.3, respectively. That's a lot of dough for a guy shooting 41% (32.5% from 3-point line). On the other hand, he's a big athletic wing who gives you another scoring option at crunch time. What say. Should Demps have any interest?

Rudy Gay: The Redux.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    There was some chatter in here earlier in the year about Rudy Gay when rumors popped up that the Griz was trying to move him. Those rumors have intensified as the trade deadline comes into sight. Should the "Hornets" have any interest. Gay would seem to fit a hole in the roster at Small Forward and the team has the cap space and high picks to make a bid. Gay is only 26, but he's pricey. He has two years left on his current extension after this season at $17.8 and $19.3, respectively. That's a lot of dough for a guy shooting 41% (32.5% from 3-point line). On the other hand, he's a big athletic wing who gives you another scoring option at crunch time. What say. Should Demps have any interest?
    No IMO. He's not an alpha player but being payed as one. We have to be more cautious.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

The Grizz just made a trade in order to clear the necessary cap space to keep him. I think it's pretty clear he is no longer on the trading block.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Yeah Gay staying in Memphis was the whole purpose of that trade.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Hope Dell doesn't acquire Gay. Very overrated and not worth his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxPelicans View Post
    Hope Dell doesn't acquire Gay. Very overrated and not worth his contract.

As simple as that

The main purpose of that trade was to get under the luxury tax, period. It also allowed them to shop Rudy Gay without the leverage killing position of being over the tax line. They now can talk to other teams and operate without the other party holding that over them. They can also now hold on to Gay until the summer without the punitive tax bill they were facing, and wait to see what his trade value is then (higher I'm guessing).

So Rudy Gay is absolutely still on the table, and Demps isn't going anywhere near that awful, poisonous contract so please stop making these threads. He is exactly what we DO NOT need at this point. A cap killing, flexibility destroying, inefficient wing player. Aint happening.

We would be in cap hell soon after. His presence doesn't make us contenders. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden Park View Post
    The main purpose of that trade was to get under the luxury tax, period. It also allowed them to shop Rudy Gay without the leverage killing position of being over the tax line. They now can talk to other teams and operate without the other party holding that over them. They can also now hold on to Gay until the summer without the punitive tax bill they were facing, and wait to see what his trade value is then (higher I'm guessing).
    100% correct
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The only thing wrong with Gay is his contract. Put him into our starting lineup and I can't imagine us not being a lot better. It moves Aminu to our bench, which makes our second unit able to play the role of the "maintain the lead/keep deficit where it is" role while the starters rest.

So Rudy Gay is absolutely still on the table, and Demps isn't going anywhere near that awful, poisonous contract so please stop making these threads. He is exactly what we DO NOT need at this point. A cap killing, flexibility destroying, inefficient wing player. Aint happening.
    While I agree 100% Grizz current trade was all about keeping Gay. I disagree about the part of what we need. We have 1 player on this team that can create his own shot at a high level. Adding another one of those type player is exactly what we need. Now I understand Gay's contract isn't on par with his production, however young wings with great size, that can score and play d is a premium in this league even if he isn't the most efficient.

Before we talk about any trade involving Rudy Gay, OP needs to put on shirt on George.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    While I agree 100% Grizz current trade was all about keeping Gay. I disagree about the part of what we need. We have 1 player on this team that can create his own shot at a high level. Adding another one of those type player is exactly what we need. Now I understand Gay's contract isn't on par with his production, however young wings with great size, that can score and play d is a premium in this league even if he isn't the most efficient.
    You are missing the big picture, no big surprise there.

Taking on Gay's contract locks our team into what it is for the next 2.5 seasons. No room for free agents. No room for taking on salary in trades. Nada.

Its not that he's a little overpaid. Its that he is poisonously overpaid. Destroys our cap situation without making us even close to a contender.

PLUS we would have to give up assets to get him. What would we lose in the process? We would be filling out those gaps, plus our bench with minimum vets and rookie free agents. That means we would be a 45 win max team with no place to go but down. Absolutely asinine, and thank god Demps isn't as short sighted as you.

You are missing the big picture, no big surprise there.

Taking on Gay's contract locks our team into what it is for the next 2.5 seasons. No room for free agents. No room for taking on salary in trades. Nada.

Its not that he's a little overpaid. Its that he is poisonously overpaid. Destroys our cap situation without making us even close to a contender.

PLUS we would have to give up assets to get him. What would we lose in the process? We would be filling out those gaps, plus our bench with minimum vets and rookie free agents. That means we would be a 45 win max team with no place to go but down. Absolutely asinine, and thank god Demps isn't as short sighted as you.
    I am not necessarily pro Rudy Gay, but there are a few mistakes here.

1. Hornets would still have multiple exceptions and they could use them without going into the lux tax. They can get solid players with these exceptions.

2. If the Grizz dont have to take back salary, we won't have to give up key assets. For example, a trade of Brian Roberts, Darius Miller and our 1st rounder (say #10) for Gay and their first (#23) would likely get a thumbs up from the Grizzlies this summer if offered. You would still have a bench of Smith, Anderson, and Rivers that could be filled out with the pick and some exceptions. You could even re-sign Aminu with one of them. It wouldn't necessarily kill depth.

Eventually you have to use your room. You can't just keep saving it hoping for something wonderful to hop into your lap, especially in a small market. It's not the best option in the world, no doubt. But adding a guy who other teams have to scout for and can get his own shot is not the worst option either

What do u guys think about sending Rivers to Orlando for Reddick

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Wouldn't like it seeing that JJ is a free agent at the end of the year. If we could lock him in at a reasonable price, I would love to put another shooter on this team. But if he leaves us high and dry, we lose Rivers for nothing.

I have given Rivers to February of 2014 before I really make a decision on him. Give this kid a full offseason and see what he does with it. Nobody will work harder. Now if he works harder, and still stinks- I will join the mob. Until then, I can't give him up for a guy who could leave this summer

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Pointless. He's a free agent after the season.

I wonder if Gay would come closer to earning his salary under Monty. The main complaint against Gay seems to be inefficiency and Monty seems to be pretty good at getting players to focus on their strengths and hide their weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am not necessarily pro Rudy Gay, but there are a few mistakes here.

1. Hornets would still have multiple exceptions and they could use them without going into the lux tax. They can get solid players with these exceptions.

2. If the Grizz dont have to take back salary, we won't have to give up key assets. For example, a trade of Brian Roberts, Darius Miller and our 1st rounder (say #10) for Gay and their first (#23) would likely get a thumbs up from the Grizzlies this summer if offered. You would still have a bench of Smith, Anderson, and Rivers that could be filled out with the pick and some exceptions. You could even re-sign Aminu with one of them. It wouldn't necessarily kill depth.

Eventually you have to use your room. You can't just keep saving it hoping for something wonderful to hop into your lap, especially in a small market. It's not the best option in the world, no doubt. But adding a guy who other teams have to scout for and can get his own shot is not the worst option either

LOL...talk about "mistakes." Sometimes you are on Mike, and then times like this I wonder what in the world you are smoking.

1. We would be capped out and have what, a $5 mil exception and a mini-mid that get us NO WHERE CLOSE to contending? Look at Memphis! For crying out loud, they are in the exact same boat and are desperate to get rid of this guy. One or two mid-level players on a capped out team is not going to put us, or them over the top and they know it. They want flexibility, and you want to kill it? Wat.

2. Your trade is an absolute joke. Seriously, call Hollinger and the Memphis brass and offer that. As much as I am anti-Rudy moving up 13 spots in a mediocre draft would be the among worst offers they got for Gay. They could do much better and this is embarrassing to even consider as a realistic possibility. Some desperate (bad) team with cap space would easily offer more.

3. Ah yes, the ol "spend it if you got it" tripe. The death knell of every also-ran small market NBA franchise. ITS WHAT GOT MEMPHIS IN THIS BIND TO BEGIN WITH. Grossly overpaying "solid" guys like Gay is so stupid I can't even believe I have to argue against it. Hollinger, a really smart numbers guy is horrified at his contract, yet you want to essentially do them the favor of relieving them of it. Its not saving and praying, its called FLEXIBILITY. It may be the most valued commodity of the new CBA.

Luckily Demps is intelligent and is not trading for this bum so I don't know why we even bother discussing it.

LOL...talk about "mistakes."

Luckily Demps is intelligent and is not trading for this bum so I don't know why we even bother discussing it.
    So you think Rudy Gay is a bum?

At his salary? Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    No as a basketball player

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    This.

Do you guys even bother to look at his production? Or his name and highlight reel enough for you?

Here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...g/gayru01.html

Take a gander at his below average true shooting %, PER, win shares, and many other meaningful stats. I will admit these stats don't tell the whole story, but when they are BELOW AVERAGE, not even average much less max level production, at $16-$19 million a year? That speaks volumes.

LOL...talk about "mistakes." Sometimes you are on Mike, and then times like this I wonder what in the world you are smoking.

1. We would be capped out and have what, a $5 mil exception and a mini-mid that get us NO WHERE CLOSE to contending? Look at Memphis! For crying out loud, they are in the exact same boat and are desperate to get rid of this guy. One or two mid-level players on a capped out team is not going to put us, or them over the top and they know it. They want flexibility, and you want to kill it? Wat.

2. Your trade is an absolute joke. Seriously, call Hollinger and the Memphis brass and offer that. As much as I am anti-Rudy moving up 13 spots in a mediocre draft would be the among worst offers they got for Gay. They could do much better and this is embarrassing to even consider as a realistic possibility. Some desperate (bad) team with cap space would easily offer more.

3. Ah yes, the ol "spend it if you got it" tripe. The death knell of every also-ran small market NBA franchise. ITS WHAT GOT MEMPHIS IN THIS BIND TO BEGIN WITH. Grossly overpaying "solid" guys like Gay is so stupid I can't even believe I have to argue against it. Hollinger, a really smart numbers guy is horrified at his contract, yet you want to essentially do them the favor of relieving them of it. Its not saving and praying, its called FLEXIBILITY. It may be the most valued commodity of the new CBA.

It is not "trading up 13 spots". It is getting a top 10 player at a rookie scale AND clearing 18 million to spend on free agents. So, yes, Memphis would do it and use the money to re-sign Tony Allen and add a three like Budinger or Brewer.

So would Memphis trade #23 and Gay for #10, Tony Allen, Chase Budinger and another 6-7 million to add more depth via free agency?

Yes.

No smoking going on here- I always see all the variables. I dont just think of things in a vaccuum.

And again, I would explore about 10 other options before I settled for this one, but to act like it would be the worst move of all-time and call other posters asinine is just immature and ill-informed in my opinion

Thread Information