Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alvin Gentry out as Phoenix head coach

He did a really good job there overall and is a good coach. Best coach they've had in a long time. Unfortunately he's on a sinking ship with one of the worst ownership and front offices in the league. Would be nice to have as an assistant here.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

That's too bad. The Front office screwed the franchise.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Can't see him being just an assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Can't see him being just an assistant.
    Why not? Quite a few past head coaches have been and are now assistants. He was an assistant when he took over for the fired Terry Porter. He was head coach of the Clippers before that. He can go back to being an assistant.

Anybody remember when he was an assistant for the Hornets?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    He did a really good job there overall and is a good coach. Best coach they've had in a long time. Unfortunately he's on a sinking ship with one of the worst ownership and front offices in the league. Would be nice to have as an assistant here.
    But their medical staff can bring back the dead and cured polio.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-18-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Why not? Quite a few past head coaches have been and are now assistants. He was an assistant when he took over for the fired Terry Porter. He was head coach of the Clippers before that. He can go back to being an assistant.

Anybody remember when he was an assistant for the Hornets?
    Look at the roster the Suns have had since 2008. He has done a good job with what he has had to work with. And I never said he can't go back to being an assistant. I said I can't see him, you know an opinion.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 01-18-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Look at the roster the Suns have had since 2008. He has done a good job with what he has had to work with. And I never said he can't go back to being an assistant. I said i can see him, you know an opinion.
    Apparently 2008 is no longer relevant. I just thought you meant you couldn't see him going from being a head coach down to an assistant coach. We know coaches can oftentimes be the scapegoats. The roster isn't built properly and when they can't win games, the coach gets the boot. The roster may not have been built properly but there's also the possibility that the players stopped playing hard for Gentry. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    He really didn't get a fair shake at all. He was never given any talent by the GM (the guy who replaced Steve Kerr) and is being scapegoated. Poor guy got the same type of deal with the Clippers years ago if i remember correctly. If he's going to be an assistant anywhere i could see him going to serve under D'Antoni who still has all of Mike Brown's assistants less his brother.

Really though he should be a head coach. He was in the conf finals like 3 years ago when he had some talent.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Apparently 2008 is no longer relevant. I just thought you meant you couldn't see him going from being a head coach down to an assistant coach. We know coaches can oftentimes be the scapegoats. The roster isn't built properly and when they can't win games, the coach gets the boot. The roster may not have been built properly but there's also the possibility that the players stopped playing hard for Gentry. Who knows?
    We have to be thankful our situation is much better here in terms of patience. The Suns brass knew they were rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    We have to be thankful our situation is much better here in terms of patience. The Suns brass knew they were rebuilding.
    I agree. After your big star leaves there comes that rebuilding period, which makes me wonder why they don't want to rebuild with him at the helm. If they've seen what he can do with talent, then why not keep him? Get him some talent. Has he EVER had more talent than that 09-10 Suns team? Other than that season I think he's been to the playoffs once more as a head coach.

Alvin Gentry is not a "cornerstone" apparently...

He hasn't head great success throughout his HC career or in the postseason (I think like 12-9 all time). I just liked what he did in Phoenix with what he had to work with.

I agree. After your big star leaves there comes that rebuilding period, which makes me wonder why they don't want to rebuild with him at the helm. If they've seen what he can do with talent, then why not keep him? Get him some talent. Has he EVER had more talent than that 09-10 Suns team? Other than that season I think he's been to the playoffs once more as a head coach.
    Because they didn't try to rebuild. Once they let Amare go to NY, they tried to replace him with scraps and ended up offering bad contracts. They're only trying to rebuild now. Once they let Amare go, they should have started over including trading an over the hill Nash.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I wonder if this means Jared Dudley will be available any time soon.

He'd be really perfect for this team.

If Gordon went to the Suns does Gentry get fired?

Alvin Gentry out as Phoenix head coach

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    If Gordon went to the Suns does Gentry get fired?
    That depends. If Gordon goes to phx does he still have the same injury that keeps him out until end of December?

That depends. If Gordon goes to phx does he still have the same injury that keeps him out until end of December?
    Yes.
    He probably wouldn't influence the games as much with PHX as he has with the Hornets though.
    Lucky for him that the Hornets matched the offer sheet because he could be in a very different situation right now.
    One I wouldn't want to be in as an NBA player.

He hasn't head great success throughout his HC career or in the postseason (I think like 12-9 all time). I just liked what he did in Phoenix with what he had to work with.
    12-9 isn't bad at all in the playoffs. He really hasn't had a great opportunity really. Coached the baby clippers back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    Yes.
    He probably wouldn't influence the games as much with PHX as he has with the Hornets though.
    Lucky for him that the Hornets matched the offer sheet because he could be in a very different situation right now.
    One I wouldn't want to be in as an NBA player.
    Agreed. I think when he looks back on it in a few years, Gordon will be beyond thankful that we matched that offer.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    12-9 isn't bad at all in the playoffs. He really hasn't had a great opportunity really. Coached the baby clippers back in the day.
    10 out of those 12 wins came in that 09-10 season. Other than that season, he hasn't had much playoff success, for whatever reasons.

10 out of those 12 wins came in that 09-10 season. Other than that season, he hasn't had much playoff success, for whatever reasons.
    Well the first season he made the playoffs it was as the pistons with this roster and lost to the hawks who were decent at the time.

http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXteamsXXDETX...r&t=all_roster

The rest I think we're with the suns. He's improved pretty much every teams he's coached. I'm not saying its a bad decision but I believe he deserves a head coaching job.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post

he probably would be a pretty good fit and I wouldn't mind having Gentry on our staff either....we could still use someone who brings a bit more of an offensive mentality with them to go with the obvious defensive ones we already have....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Did I say something false when I said 10 out of 12 playoff wins came in that 09-10 season? The majority came in that season and the other 2 wins were with Detroit. I'm not arguing against him deserving a head coaching job, but looking at his record, he's had more losing seasons than he's had winning seasons. Whether it was when he took over after a head coach was fired or if he was head coach for the full season. I'm sure he'll get another chance somewhere though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Gentry

Let's see how long they're going to keep the GM that keeps putting together those incompetent rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post

I listened to Marc Stein talk about the Gentry situation today and he did mention Dudley as one that could possibly be on the block. He also mentioned Lindsey Hunter possibly replacing Gentry.

Gortat is on twitter lobbying for Stan Van Gundy.

Marcin Gortat ‏@MGortat
    I would like to thank him for all the opportunities he gave me to become a better player. I appreciate the last 3 years we spent together.

Marcin Gortat ‏@MGortat
    I wish him all the best........

Marcin Gortat ‏@MGortat
    SVG is out there.....

Thread Information