Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans News from Team's Spanish Broadcaster, Emilo Peralta

Quote Originally Posted by ReedSpeed View Post
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    About compensating Benson: The NBA owns the trademarks. It all runs through them.

This early move to rebrand opens the soor for a Hornets swap, but I wouldn't count on it. It could happen, but it eon't fix issues there.

The biggest issue to consider is market confusion. Who are the Hornets if the Charlotte rebrands? No shared history was agreed to as with Seattle and the Thunder. It's all very silly really. People need to embrace the road that got them to where they are and stop trying to revise things. Just accept it. Some things are not like lightbulbs... no unscrewing...
    Are you (and others against Charlotte taking back the Hornets) telling me that if Utah offered up the Jazz name back to New Orleans because they wanted to rebrand, and New Orleans was looking to rebrand also, that New Orleans wouldn't take the Jazz name back?

Regardless, I think its pretty selfish to deny the Hornets name back to Charlotte and rather see it die than go back to where it belongs. Its going to happen anyway whether we diehard fans want to keep the Bobcats or not because "Charlotte Hornets" outsells Bobcats gear 4 to 1. Nostalgia is the in thing right now
    http://bobcatalley.com

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Best thing about Charlotte becoming Hornets again is whenever I go to sports apparel shops, all the Charlotte Hornets stuff will make sense. Went to Atlanta, didn't see a single New Orleans Hornet hat, shirt, or jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by amcoolio View Post
    Are you (and others against Charlotte taking back the Hornets) telling me that if Utah offered up the Jazz name back to New Orleans because they wanted to rebrand, and New Orleans was looking to rebrand also, that New Orleans wouldn't take the Jazz name back?

Regardless, I think its pretty selfish to deny the Hornets name back to Charlotte and rather see it die than go back to where it belongs. Its going to happen anyway whether we diehard fans want to keep the Bobcats or not because "Charlotte Hornets" outsells Bobcats gear 4 to 1. Nostalgia is the in thing right now
    If they become the Charlotte Hornets again then it won't be nostalgic anymore. I mean is that the only reason Charlotte wants the nickname Hornets back? To sell more gear? Will the name put a better team on the court?

The Jazz is/was a great name for the New Orleans team but it' been gone for so long, I don't know if THAT many people are clamoring for it as we'd believe.

"With Hornets name change imminent, Bobcats start market research on nickname. Harris Interactive sending surveys to season-ticket holders."

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/sta...44523314028544

The jazz name back? With all the utah history? Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by nativerhythms View Post
    "With Hornets name change imminent, Bobcats start market research on nickname. Harris Interactive sending surveys to season-ticket holders."

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/sta...44523314028544
    Add this one.

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell
    Bobcats will do polling of the Charlotte market. This isn't just about nickname; it's about whether change would affect buying habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's not a sell. It's the truth. Do you care that the Knicks are called the Knicks? You know it's a ridiculous name in a vacuum but you think anyone cares?

After X amount of years you won't care even if you think our name was the most awesome name ever created in the history of teamnames you won't care in time.
    Not true at all. The Global fans followed Hornets from Charlotte to New Orleans because of the brand. Just like most will either follow it back to Charlotte if it goes there. I agree there's more to a brand than the team name, but it's a huge part. My best friend(NOLA native) is a Carolina Panthers fan because he likes their brand. So to say it doesn't matter is a gross generalization.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Not true at all. The Global fans followed Hornets from Charlotte to New Orleans because of the brand. Just like most will either follow it back to Charlotte if it goes there. I agree there's more to a brand than the team name, but it's a huge part. My best friend(NOLA native) is a Carolina Panthers fan because he likes their brand. So to say it doesn't matter is a gross generalization.
    You can't really say MOST will follow it back to Charlotte though because you don't really know that.

When Charlotte regains the Hornets, I really hope the media occasionally screws up and refers to them as the New Orleans Hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Went to Atlanta, didn't see a single New Orleans Hornet hat, shirt, or jersey.
    I'm so sorry...

Too much assumptions going on here, I love how a lot of the people who are against the name keeps spewing out a bunch of horse---- with nothing to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    You can't really say MOST will follow it back to Charlotte though because you don't really know that.
    True, but I think that's a safe assumption considering they have 0 connections to the city.

But in the interest of fairness I'll recant that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Too much assumptions going on here, I love how a lot of the people who are against the name keeps spewing out a bunch of horse---- with nothing to back it up.
    Welcome to the re-brand "discussions" ....

Charlotte will never get the Hornets back. The main reason why? MASS confusion among the casual NBA fan. Hell, I'm a diehard fan and I'm even confused when I try to think about how they'd sort that out.

Chris Paul was drafted by the Hornets, not the Bobcats. We're switching mascots and brands, not franchises (well not really switching )I and that's where the problems come in.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't want anything to do with those "fans". They can go back.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    If they become the Charlotte Hornets again then it won't be nostalgic anymore. I mean is that the only reason Charlotte wants the nickname Hornets back? To sell more gear? Will the name put a better team on the court?

The Jazz is/was a great name for the New Orleans team but it' been gone for so long, I don't know if THAT many people are clamoring for it as we'd believe.
    The name has nothing to do with the product on the court; we are in year 2 of a planned 5 year rebuild, where we stared from ground zero last year, so switching to the Hornets now as they start to gain steam and momentum would be a wise move, in my opinion.

The reasons for switching back to the Hornets name starts with $$$ (a lot more money would be brought in though merchandise) and ends with $$$ (a lot of new ticket sales and sponsorships from people/organizations who said they would support the team if they were the Hornets again).

The Hornets were HUGE in Charlotte in the 90's, more than the NFL and almost reaching the same level of fandom as college basketball. I mean they averaged 22,000 a night with the arena being sold out for years. Obviously that will never happen again (unless tickets become free) but unless you have experienced it its hard to explain. Its like if the Saints suddenly moved this year and you get a new NFL franchise...but several years later the Saints name becomes available. It would be a no brainier for you guys to take back the name.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Charlotte will never get the Hornets back. The main reason why? MASS confusion among the casual NBA fan. Hell, I'm a diehard fan and I'm even confused when I try to think about how they'd sort that out.

Chris Paul was drafted by the Hornets, not the Bobcats. We're switching mascots and brands, not franchises (well not really switching )I and that's where the problems come in.
    They'll get it back, MJ would have to be an idiot not to accept the amount of money that would come in as a result of the change. As far as records go, Charlotte should retain all the records from 1988-2002, and 2004-2013 Bobcats, while the Pelicans retain 2002-2013 Hornets.
    Fair for both sides.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Heck I started liking the team as soon as I found out they were moving here, even while they were still in Charlotte. Started playing with them on NBA Live and all.
    Same, I distinctly remember watching that last Charlotte Hornets playoff series and cheering them on. It's always been about the team, not the players. And it's always been about the fact that we have a team, not the name (even though I do love "Pelicans")

I'm not saying toss Hornets in the trash. I'm saying it's our history, just like goofy yearbook photos, scoring a touchdown in a meaningless game in the backyard, or falling asleep on maw-maw's couch. It's just in the past. Important but past.

I don't care if Charlotte gets whatever with their name. I am posing real costs to be posed against imagined and real benefits.

It's about people buying more Hornets stuff now. It's about buying more Pelicans and Hornets and Bobcats stuff or more Pelicans and Hornets stuff. Plus the absolute confusion if Chris Paul was a Hornet who never played for the Hornets. The Seattle.mess will hurt any efforts there.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Hornets going back to Charlotte is what a lot of people want but like NN said it would be REALLY confusing. Way beyond just being called a different city by announcers or in articles.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amcoolio View Post
    They'll get it back, MJ would have to be an idiot not to accept the amount of money that would come in as a result of the change. As far as records go, Charlotte should retain all the records from 1988-2002, and 2004-2013 Bobcats, while the Pelicans retain 2002-2013 Hornets.
    Fair for both sides.
    Do you not see how that would be just BEYOND confusing? I don't think the NBA would allow it to be honest.

Utah can keep the Jazz. History. I'm fine with us being Hornets or Pelicans.

I just want conversations about this stuff to end.

Please end.

So many who know so little say so much so often. Human, all too human.

Cut the baby in half is now wise?

Wunderbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    I don't want anything to do with those "fans". They can go back.
    The only fans(using that term loosely) I don't like are fair-weather/bandwagoners. I can't be mad if a fan chooses brand over region. Especially with the lack of respect the league and owners show to fanbases.

Thread Information