Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans News from Team's Spanish Broadcaster, Emilo Peralta

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I hate the name but its better than spirit or angels so i can live with it. What was revealed so far in terms of unis and logos?
    Nothing...there are some amature logo contests out but none official that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Number one over tv contracts?
    Don't hold me to this Hunny B, but i believe i read that the leagues revenue was around 5 billion last year, and i also believe 2.1 billion of that was merchandise, 15-20% of that coming from overseas. I've read a few different numbers, i think they currently make between 900-920 million a year from t.v after their last extension, prior to that it was something like 700+ million. Forbes estimates t.v. could earn them 1.2 billion when they negotiate for 2016.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, because i'm not sure on numbers and i get criticized about numbers around here by some.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Hyperbole serves the greater good of this thread
    I see, you see, what i did there.
    Last edited by NemesisKING; 01-23-2013 at 09:45 AM.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    Like I've stated before. I don't like the name but I'm a homer so it doesn't deter me from cheering on my team. Just don't see myself buying a whole bunch a Pelicans gear. Probably rock something that just has NOLA or New Orleans on it....

Oh and @BallSoHard.... I get what you're saying about nobody knowing really how the majority of the fanbase feels about the name. But thats why I think a lot of some feel their should have been some sort of fan vote or way to get some feedback from the fan base to test the waters and truly see how the fanbase felt about it. I get that its Benson's team...but its our team too. He doesn't make good profit without the fan support. At least see what we think of it. We don't have to have the final say...thats on him and the NBA. But at least try and act like you care what we, the ones that are going to be watching, paying for tickets and mechandise, think.

Thats just my opinion....
    I can't for the life of me remember general population being able to vote on a franchise name. It would be unprecedented but i could be off on this. Opinion can be stated by not buying those said items though.

I'd be highly surprised if they didn't hire a Proctor and Gamble type firm to to risk analysis on changing the name to the Pelicans. Hell, the firm may have even suggested it.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 01-23-2013 at 09:55 AM.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

A question for everyone: Pelicans lovers and haters, Hornets lovers and haters.

How would you feel if next season Charlotte become the Hornets?

Quote Originally Posted by supermati View Post

Do not care.

It will be kind of awkward i think. I mean hornets going back to CHT? They will just have to go through the same thing we did with the brand confusion stuff when you get people calling them New Orleans still. The idea of it kind of annoys me, but it's their history so i guess we don't have much a say in what they would want to do. I do think it will be nice if they pull out the old Hornets jerseys again.

pelicans got swag Flight of the Pelicans's Avatar

RE: Pelicans News from Team's Spanish Broadcaster, Emilo Peralta

@Ball so hard- OKC, Toronto, and Washington all got to vote
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

#Let'sGoPels
    #WhoDatNation
    #GoRays

Pelicans News from Team's Spanish Broadcaster, Emilo Peralta

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet96 View Post
    @Ball so hard- OKC, Toronto, and Washington all got to vote
    Did not know that. Thanks for educating me on it !

@supermati its gonna be rough. But I love this TEAM, more than I could ever love a mascot or colors. So, I'll definitely get used to it. So, R.I.P. New Orleans Hornets, Hello Pelicans!

@ball so hard- all of the names in these ballots were horrible by the way. Wizards and Thunder were trashed relentlessly when they first announced their name. Now, no one cares. Im fine with pelicans. Oh and no one wanted to vote for wizards. As I said they had horrible options and they had to give up their beloved bullets name

Quote Originally Posted by supermati View Post

Nobody understands a unique, historic, cultural identity more than New Orleanians. Happy for them.

I am disappointed that Benson took the "easy way out" on renaming the team. It was the path of least resistance and cost given that he already owned the rights to the name. I always associate Pelicans with baseball in this area. The only positive is that it could have been worse.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Team sent out emails inviting people to the 3:00 unveiling tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Smh.... Im scared yall..
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I really need to become a member of the media
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    @HORNETS FAN

Misquotes, Spirit....o yeah it could have been much worse.

Hornets to announce new nickname of Pelicans, new logo tomorrow,source told Y! Sports.Pelicans is state bird, environmental symbol for state

https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/s...22756252004352

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    PELICANS HERE DEY COME

#PELICANSHEREDEYCOME

I kind of wonder if the fans absolutely hating spirit and Angels so much had a factor in neither getting picked? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    Don't hold me to this Hunny B, but i believe i read that the leagues revenue was around 5 billion last year, and i also believe 2.1 billion of that was merchandise, 15-20% of that coming from overseas. I've read a few different numbers, i think they currently make between 900-920 million a year from t.v after their last extension, prior to that it was something like 700+ million. Forbes estimates t.v. could earn them 1.2 billion when they negotiate for 2016.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, because i'm not sure on numbers and i get criticized about numbers around here by some.

Ok. I just decided to go do a little searching because I kind of thought tv broadcast/contracts were higher up than merchandise. A few sites I came across are saying gate receipts, then broadcast rights.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/71...-lockout-talks

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q12

How do NBA teams make money?
    It would be interesting to get a breakdown of the different revenue streams that different teams have.

It seems as if teams would get revenues from ticket sales, tv deals, merchandise sales, concessions, and perhaps other sources. For which of these sources do teams share revenues with other teams? And how?

Also, it would be nice to know the typical sizes of these different revenue streams and to get an idea for the levels of variation across the league: for instance, what is the size of the tv deal for a team in one of the 5 biggest markets? And how does that compare to the tv deal for a team in one of the 5 smallest markets.

Colin MacIntyre, Blogger, Broadcaster, Advertising Guy
    1 vote by Walker Wright
    The Majority of the NBA's money comes from their TV Contracts, which is estimated at $930 million a year, with ABC/ESPN and TNT. Thats $31 Million per team per year, though its unlikely that the math is that exact. From the league, they also share money from national advertisers, licensing and merchandise deals.

On a local level, the team makes money from the arena, through ticket sales, luxury suites, in stadium advertising, merchandise, local advertising and sponsorships and local tv and radio broadcasting deals.
    http://www.quora.com/How-do-NBA-teams-make-money

I'm guessing if the league ok's Pelicans, they're not AS concerned as some of us are about merchandise.

Sounds like merchandise sales is split between all teams anyway. The Pelicans will make money from local advertising and ticket sales basically.

Even more reason for the Pelican haters to stop spewing "But they won't sell merchandise." Apparently the league isn't concerned with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Sounds like merchandise sales is split between all teams anyway. The Pelicans will make money from local advertising and ticket sales basically.

Even more reason for the Pelican haters to stop spewing "But they won't sell merchandise." Apparently the league isn't concerned with that.
    Looking at Forbes, "Brand" for most teams are behind, Sport, Marketing, and Stadium. Of course there are teams whose brands are higher than ours, but, brand isn't the main thing that brings your team value.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/new-orleans-hornets/

What makes anyone thing a vote would be unanimous, lead to a 50% share for any one name unless the poll was two items only or something like Pelicans v. Cake v. Blisters v. Teletubbies, I have no idea.

The game is rigged.

Countdown if you feel like sitting and counting the hours until it happens: http://www.nba.com/hornets

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Smh.... Im scared yall..

Thread Information