Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans News from Team's Spanish Broadcaster, Emilo Peralta

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkaholic View Post
    Richard Simmons disagrees.
    there's a reason I left him out

want to do 1 better? DJ Augustin... member of the Katrina class... I was in Conlin Gym to watch quite a few of his games when he was a Crusader
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatChristian View Post
    The good news gents as I have said all along, and stuck my repuation to, is that it would never be Voodoo. I'm not a big fan but at least it's not pagan. I hope they keep New Orleans on the jersey's instead of Pelicans.
    Team names aren't religious statements, they are like characters on TV. At least with VooDoo, we wouldn't have been a laughing stock. Now, the media is going to have a field day with us for a long time. Benson has lost his freaking mind.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    Team names aren't religious statements, they are like characters on TV. At least with VooDoo, we wouldn't have been a laughing stock. Now, the media is going to have a field day with us for a long time. Benson has lost his freaking mind.
    Thank you for the post! "Pelicans" is the worse name in professional sports. I'm just going to call our team "New Orleans." Benson's ego has to above 9000! Someone needs to stop him..... Commish!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boot318 View Post
    Thank you for the post! "Pelicans" is the worse name in professional sports. I'm just going to call our team "New Orleans." Benson's ego has to above 9000! Someone needs to stop him..... Commish!!!!
    Houston Texans, Knickerbocker...Pelicans is definitely not the worst name in sports.

Google translate ugh..call me next time

Anyway can't wait. I love the pelicans name, but the logo had better be good. Unis can be added in some time but the first logo will be on everyone's mind forever..if it's the wrong kind of logo. Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
    Google translate ugh..call me next time

Anyway can't wait. I love the pelicans name, but the logo had better be good. Unis can be added in some time but the first logo will be on everyone's mind forever..if it's the wrong kind of logo. Fingers crossed
    I think it's a fairly easy translation, but I wanted to post something repeatable for people that they would trust .

It seems to have worked. I only see complaints about Pelicans and someone who thinks only one person person will be at the meeting because a tweet only named one person.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Rick Bonnell: Hornets become Pelicans Thursday, putting ball in Bobcats' court on nickname. There would be deliberate market research before any change. Twitter @rick_bonnell

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Rick Bonnell: Hornets become Pelicans Thursday, putting ball in Bobcats' court on nickname. There would be deliberate market research before any change. Twitter @rick_bonnell
    Yeah, he's a Charlotte writer. I'm not sure if this is independent information as far as the Hornets go. He's a little skeptical about a name change happening there.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Surely they'll announce the PC today...
    Wherehappens.

While I preferred Voodoo and Krewe much more than the Pelicans, I feel that the Pelicans can be a classic Sports name. Most of the Iconic MLB and NBA names are non-intimidating names.

Also, the last 2 times I drove across the Causeway I saw about 20-30 Pelicans flying around the bridge.

My only hope is that the logo is a classic logo and isn't modern looking. I hope its a logo that will stand the test of time like the Yankees, Red Sox, Saints, etc...

Rebrand is suppose to unify the fan base, which this didn't. Not because of outsiders, but because we free thinkers, think it's lame. There is a lot of middle ground between cool and lame, even if you didn't go cool, and not every one believes cool means intimidating, you didn't have land right under lame.

New Orleans is this wide open, free spirited, liberal city, stuck in a red state, that doesn't give two cents about it, outside it generating lots of tax dollars for the state. Who cares if Pelicans represent the whole state of Louisiana.

And honestly, Tom Benson's heart has to actually be in this rebrand, because he's not chasing the boat loads of cash that comes with new merchandise after rebranding this team Pelicans. He can't be, again the number one source of income for the NBA is Merchandise.

He picked Pelicans, no one in range of Tom Benson should expect this team to get any kind of significant bump after rebranding this team Pelicans.

And i hope people stop trying to make Pelicans seem legitimate by making fun of and talking about how bad other names are, like the Lakers, Knicks and other teams in that class, those names and names like it are old, they were thought of during a different era. In the 40's and 50's, those were cool ideas. You guys even use teams in other sports like the Red Sox, 1901 and White Sox, 1894, you can't compare that.

People who don't get, still shouldn't get it, even after being explained the history, because no one understands what the history of a minor league baseball team that originally stopped playing in '59 matter, why should knowing the history of that baseball team then make it okay for a modern day professional basketball team to be named after that baseball team.

Two completely different sports, in which the teams played at two different levels of competition of their sports.

I have come to grips with this, but i will never like it.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    Rebrand is suppose to unify the fan base, which this didn't. Not because of outsiders, but because we free thinkers, think it's lame. There is a lot of middle ground between cool and lame, even if you didn't go cool, and not every one believes cool means intimidating, you didn't have land right under lame.

New Orleans is this wide open, free spirited, liberal city, stuck in a red state, that doesn't give two cents about it, outside it generating lots of tax dollars for the state. Who cares if Pelicans represent the whole state of Louisiana.

And honestly, Tom Benson's heart has to actually be in this rebrand, because he's not chasing the boat loads of cash that comes with new merchandise after rebranding this team Pelicans. He can't be, again the number one source of income for the NBA is Merchandise.

He picked Pelicans, no one in range of Tom Benson should expect this team to get any kind of significant bump after rebranding this team Pelicans.

And i hope people stop trying to make Pelicans seem legitimate by making fun of and talking about how bad other names are, like the Lakers, Knicks and other teams in that class, those names and names like it are old, they were thought of during a different era. In the 40's and 50's, those were cool ideas. You guys even use teams in other sports like the Red Sox, 1901 and White Sox, 1894, you can't compare that.

People who don't get, still shouldn't get it, even after being explained the history, because no one understands what the history of a minor league baseball team that originally stopped playing in '59 matter, why should knowing the history of that baseball team then make it okay for a modern day professional basketball team to be named after that baseball team.

Two completely different sports, in which the teams played at two different levels of competition of their sports.

I have come to grips with this, but i will never like it.
    The bold thing is false.

Number one over tv contracts?

I consider myself a free thinker and I love it. There will always be people on both sides with a rebrand. There is no magical name that would unify the fan base like the Saints did that night of the Superbowl. You can't please everyone.

I'm sorry you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    The bold thing is false.
    Ok, it's not a fact. It may not be the intent. But having the majority of your fans excited about it, sun shine pumping and saluting your flag definitely should be hoped for.

If making more money is ranked on the list of what a rebrand is suppose to do for your team, you have to know that fans being unified in their excitement and appreciation for the new brand will translate into a major surge in and continuous cash flow from merchandise, even from the "that's cool" front running, fashion centric crowd of NBA fans. The fans who are real fans, but have to be inspired by something appealing to the eye to purchase merchandise.

From a fans perspective i would've hoped for the greater good to be served and the majority of the fans to be happy with the rebrand vs just a small select group being happy, others being content and the rest being disgruntled for various reasons.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Pelicans

Ok, it's not a fact. It may not be the intent. But having the majority of your fans excited about it, sun shine pumping and saluting your flag definitely should be hoped for.
    Most people that I talked to yesterday IRL and on FB were indeed excited.

If making more money is ranked on the list of what a rebrand is suppose to do for your team, you have to know that fans being unified in their excitement and appreciation for the new brand will translate into a major surge in and continuous cash flow from merchandise, even from the "that's cool" front running, fashion centric crowd of NBA fans. The fans who are real fans, but have to be inspired by something appealing to the eye to purchase merchandise.

From a fans perspective i would've hoped for the greater good to be served and the majority of the fans to be happy with the rebrand vs just a small select group being happy, others being content and the rest being disgruntled for various reasons.
    Oh come on dude. Just come on.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    None of my friends dislike it.

Merchandise is split among all NBA teams. This is one reason the NBA has to approve such things.

Get over unity. Pelicans in the Finals... you in or out?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The amount of hyperbole involved with this is simply staggering.

How do you know the majority of the fan base is disgruntled about this decision though? I'm indifferent, but i was indifferent about the whole thing. Just because you and people you may know hate it, doesn't mean it speaks as a whole of the fan base.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The amount of hyperbole involved with this is simply staggering.
    Hyperbole serves the greater good of this thread

An identity can be excellent from a design and conceptual perspective, but it will never be strong if it's not accompanied by success. The exact same thing can be said viceversa.

I hate the name but its better than spirit or angels so i can live with it. What was revealed so far in terms of unis and logos?

Like I've stated before. I don't like the name but I'm a homer so it doesn't deter me from cheering on my team. Just don't see myself buying a whole bunch a Pelicans gear. Probably rock something that just has NOLA or New Orleans on it....

Oh and @BallSoHard.... I get what you're saying about nobody knowing really how the majority of the fanbase feels about the name. But thats why I think a lot of some feel their should have been some sort of fan vote or way to get some feedback from the fan base to test the waters and truly see how the fanbase felt about it. I get that its Benson's team...but its our team too. He doesn't make good profit without the fan support. At least see what we think of it. We don't have to have the final say...thats on him and the NBA. But at least try and act like you care what we, the ones that are going to be watching, paying for tickets and mechandise, think.

Thats just my opinion....

Thread Information