Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans News from Team's Spanish Broadcaster, Emilo Peralta

Quote Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
    I'm asking cos i don't really know all the story behind it (only that shinn relocated because of poor attendance or something of the like) but if the hornets were (and are) so dear to charlotte fans, why did the team relocate in the first place? I mean, a team that is bad, with passionate fans will still have a good attendance. Something to do with arenas?
    They had great attendance. They may have had poor attendance once they knew the team was leaving but they had consecutive years with sellouts. Did Shinn want a new arena? I may have heard this before. And then I heard something about him and a cheerleader. ((Shrugs))

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Charlotte Hornets fan talking about the Hornets brand like it has a long meaningful history.
    But the name is "deeper than an NBA team". Get your history lesson in the Jgib23 post above please.

As if the majority of people knew this bit to about the war before the team. It's not some deep pride you see on the street.

And Shinn was acuses of rape. That's why Charlotte turned on him.

Attendance plummetted and was an excuse.

Atrendance is NOT THAT IMPORTANT. It fed Shinn's ego to have people come to see his team in droves.

It was more Shinn was ashamed and felt like he had no friends and wanted to get out of town so he forced a relocation. Stern had to cover for him since he is an owner, you can't force an owner out. Charlotte was awarded another franchise right away, how else would you explain that. Seattle wasn't awarded another franchise right away. Stern moved the team and gave Charlotte a new one. Shinn should have left the Hornets name in Charlotte and rebranded right away instead of dancing around the Hornets name for a while, which would have solved all this mess, but he probably didn't have the money.
    http://bobcatalley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jgib23 View Post
    In short.. he raped a cheerleader, disappeared from the public, demanded a new arena or threatened to leave, applied for relocation as a threat- threats wasn't well rec'd in CLT, relocation was denied, Chose Ray Woolridge over Michael Jordan as a business partner and applied for relocation again, we had an arena refendum and it lost by like 12k votes, team moves to NOLA.
    Ease up on the libel. He was not charged and she was not a cheerleader.

He got sued and his wife left him.

He was right about the Arena... They built one for the Bobcats.

Quote Originally Posted by amcoolio View Post
    It was more Shinn was ashamed and felt like he had no friends and wanted to get out of town so he forced a relocation. Stern had to cover for him since he is an owner, you can't force an owner out. Charlotte was awarded another franchise right away, how else would you explain that. Seattle wasn't awarded another franchise right away. Stern moved the team and gave Charlotte a new one. Shinn should have left the Hornets name in Charlotte and rebranded right away instead of dancing around the Hornets name for a while, which would have solved all this mess, but he probably didn't have the money.

A mess is what it is when your entire life isn't the way you want it in all aspects all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by amcoolio View Post
    Also, I don't think the GENERAL SENTIMENT here is that the Hornets name should die and we don't want it returned to Charlotte, and I also don't think we here feel threatened by the Charlotte Hornets brand being bigger than New Orleans Hornets or Pelicans.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I honestly don't care if it goes back or not. It's out of our hands.

Pelicans News from Team's Spanish Broadcaster, Emilo Peralta

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Obviously you are biased because you are from Charlotte and want your old name back. Which is fine, I can understand and I really don't care if Charlotte takes it back, it would just be a very confusing and something I wouldn't want my team to be mistaken with for years and years and years to come.
    Boom blam Kazam. Exactlamento.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Yeah, more Pelicans less Charlotte Hornets
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Ease up on the libel. He was not charged and she was not a cheerleader.

He got sued and his wife left him.

He was right about the Arena... They built one for the Bobcats.
    Your right- it's been a while. He traded Scott Burrell because he was banging a honeybee that he wanted to bang, the woman he had inappropriate sexual relations with was some recovering drug addict or something like that.... There was a nationally televised trial for sexual assault.

From an Internet search:

Here's the deal: Burrell was a popular and talented Hornet until he was suddenly traded to Golden State at the deadline two seasons ago for Donald Royal--Donald Royal!--and Burrell immediately said the deal was cut for "personal" reasons.

As if the majority of people knew this bit to about the war before the team. It's not some deep pride you see on the street.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=ZjISS49w4qs
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=zsZI6TjfzxI
    Last edited by Jgib23; 01-23-2013 at 07:44 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Pelicans News from Team's Spanish Broadcaster, Emilo Peralta

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Yeah, more Pelicans less Charlotte Hornets
    Less of both would be great

As if that is objective.

Please. Stop.

It's unbecoming.

"Los Pelicanos" actually sounds better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Downman View Post
    "Los Pelicanos" actually sounds better to me.
    sounds better than "El Heat"
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

As if that is objective.

Please. Stop.

It's unbecoming.
    I'll stop, I have no reason to argue with someone miles away about what should or should not be important in Charlotte.

Glad that you guys are the Pelicans and the Hornets name is available.

I'll stop, I have no reason to argue with someone miles away about what should or should not be important in Charlotte.

Glad that you guys are the Pelicans and the Hornets name is available.
    Correct. Best of luck.

Correct. Best of luck.
    Best of luck to the Pelicans as well

Shinn was a horrible owner honestly
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Best of luck to the Pelicans as well
    Thanks

And Shinn was acuses of rape. That's why Charlotte turned on him.

Attendance plummetted and was an excuse.

Atrendance is NOT THAT IMPORTANT. It fed Shinn's ego to have people come to see his team in droves.
    And that's why I'll never, ever, ever have any sympathy for Charlotte. Turning your back on the team because of a jerk-of-an owner isn't justifiable. Owners, coaches, and players come and go--no one person should be allowed to define a fan's loyalty to the team. That's what too many fans in Charlotte did.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    And that's why I'll never, ever, ever have any sympathy for Charlotte. Turning your back on the team because of a jerk-of-an owner isn't justifiable. Owners, coaches, and players come and go--no one person should be allowed to define a fan's loyalty to the team. That's what too many fans in Charlotte did.
    Agreed. Look at how ardently the Raiders fans supported their team throughout the Al Davis years. You can argue the same for Saints fans through the pre-Katrina Benson years. There are many examples... Charlotte just has sour grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Agreed. Look at how ardently the Raiders fans supported their team throughout the Al Davis years. You can argue the same for Saints fans through the pre-Katrina Benson years. There are many examples... Charlotte just has sour grapes.
    Niners fans were in the same position until recently. Denise and John York are two of the most bumbling owners in history, even spawning the website Dumpyork.com at one point. I even backed away from York at Niners game in '05 and refused to shake his hand. But I never gave up on my team.

Then York handed off the operations of the team to his son and got out of the way. Take a look at where the Niners are now. Things change. As a fan, one must persevere.

There was more to it, but the fandom has been skewed by the lens of history. They want a rebrand for the reasons people here did, especially with the Jazz. They just want something to be good and don't see the court product as anything they or owners can control short term.

We're more alike than different. It's a shame a rarional discussion isn't happening.

Thread Information